?Frozen pollock

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Zxcvbob, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
    with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?

    I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.

    I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.

    Fish tacos?

    Thanks, regards, Bob

    Tags:

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
    > with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
    >
    > I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
    >
    > I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
    >
    > Fish tacos?
    >
    > Thanks, regards, Bob

    Bob, my mother used to buy frozen pollock all the time when I was a teen. It's a fairly mild-tasting
    white fish, much like cod. You can bake it using any of a myriad of recipes you might find for cod
    or other white fish. IIRC I've used these fillets in a manner similar to this (note: I tend to "wing-
    it"): blend some breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs with a little melted butter, finely chopped
    parsley, finely minced garlic (or just a dash of garlic powder), pepper. Place about four fillets in
    a baking dish. Pour a little bit of milk around the fillets (I find this works better than water and
    you don't want to "fry" the fish so leave out oil or cooking spray). Sprinkle the fillets lightly
    with some finely shredded cheese. Top with the crumb mixture. Bake at 350F 10 minutes, just long
    enough for the fillets to be tender. Turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to lightly brown
    the crumb-topping. Use a wide spatula to remove the fillets to a platter or your plates.

    If you'd like to pan-fry it but prefer not to use cornmeal as a breading you might try a traditional
    beer batter instead.

    Jill

  3. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
    > with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?

    Poached on lemon slice in chardonnay.

    Fish chowder.

    Dredged in flour, dipped in egg wash, and then dropped in a beer batter mix, then deep-fried.

    Ceviche (although my own recent attempt at this was pretty bad.)

    The Ranger

  4. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:31:13 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
    >with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
    >
    >I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
    >
    >I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
    >
    >Fish tacos?

    Thai Fish Cakes. Can't hurt to add a little shrimp to the mix as well. Not much, just a little
    for flavor.

    -sw

  5. x-no-archive: yes

    >I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
    >with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
    >
    >I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
    >
    >I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
    >
    >Fish tacos?

    Yes, soup and tacos are great ways to use frozen fish.

    I also sometimes use mild frozen fish, cooked in some simple way and then chopped up, to make salad,
    like tuna salad.

    Naomi D.

  6. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > If you'd like to pan-fry it but prefer not to use cornmeal as a breading you might try a
    > traditional beer batter instead.
    >
    > Jill

    Breaded and fried is *good*; I'm just cutting way back on white bread, sweets, beer, and fried foods
    for a while.

    Best regards, Bob

  7. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> If you'd like to pan-fry it but prefer not to use cornmeal as a breading you might try a
    >> traditional beer batter instead.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Breaded and fried is *good*; I'm just cutting way back on white bread, sweets, beer, and fried
    > foods for a while.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Cutting back on *beer*?! Blasphemy! <G> Breaded and fried is fine, but I really prefer baked or
    grilled fish.

    Good luck with your pollock and please post what you wound up doing with some of it. 10 pounds is a
    bit of fish so you can experiment.

    Jill

  8. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    Add it to canned chowder rather than potato soup, or make your own chowder.

    As a healthier alternative to frying, coat with flour, then egg wash, then seasoned cornmeal and
    bake in the oven at 450° until it flakes apart easily. Almost as good as fried but much less fat.

    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
    > with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
    >
    > I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
    >
    > I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
    >
    > Fish tacos?
    >
    > Thanks, regards, Bob

  9. Bob,

    I sent suggestions but I misdirected them to Jill....Sorry Look for them....

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:31:13 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
    >with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
    >
    >I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
    >
    >I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
    >
    >Fish tacos?
    >
    >Thanks, regards, Bob

  10. You'll enjoy these.........

    FISH'N VEGETABLES

    1 lb Fish Fillets, (firm) 3 Tbs Sherry 1 Tbs Vegetable oil 1 Tbs Lemon juice 1 cup Onions (sliced)
    1 tsp Salt 3 cup Zucchini (sliced) 1/2 tsp Basil 1 cup Green Pepper (sliced) 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
    3/4 cup Tomatoes (chopped) 1 dsh Hot Pepper Sauce

    In 10 to 12 inch covered sauce pan, saute onion, zucchini, green pepper and tomato in oil, until crisp-
    tender. Next combine, sherry, lemon juice, salt, basil, pepper, and pepper sauce, to vegetables and
    blend. Add fish; cover and cook till fish flakes. Serve over rice.

    For fillet, use firm-fleshed, cut into serving-sized pieces.

    FISH IN TOMATO GRAVY

    1 ea Onion, large, minced 1 tsp Sugar 2 ea Celery rib, minced 2 cup Tomatoes, chopped 3 Tbs
    each, Butter/Olive oil 2 ea Garlic cloves, chopped 1 lb Fish 1 Tbs Parsley, chopped 1 x
    Salt/pepper to taste

    In 10 to12 inch sauce pan, saute onion and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic, parsley,
    tomatoes, and sugar. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to low heat. Cook about 1 hour, to reduce
    fluid. Salt and pepper to taste.

    Add fish; cover and cook until thick, and or fish flakes. Small amounts of water may be added to
    sauce as needed during cooking. Serve over rice. On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:42:45 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >zxcvbob wrote:
    >> I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to
    >> do with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
    >>
    >> I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
    >>
    >> I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
    >>
    >> Fish tacos?
    >>
    >> Thanks, regards, Bob
    >
    >Bob, my mother used to buy frozen pollock all the time when I was a teen. It's a fairly mild-
    >tasting white fish, much like cod. You can bake it using any of a myriad of recipes you might find
    >for cod or other white fish. IIRC I've used these fillets in a manner similar to this (note: I
    >tend to "wing-it"): blend some breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs with a little melted butter, finely
    >chopped parsley, finely minced garlic (or just a dash of garlic powder), pepper. Place about four
    >fillets in a baking dish. Pour a little bit of milk around the fillets (I find this works better
    >than water and you don't want to "fry" the fish so leave out oil or cooking spray). Sprinkle the
    >fillets lightly with some finely shredded cheese. Top with the crumb mixture. Bake at 350F 10
    >minutes, just long enough for the fillets to be tender. Turn on the broiler for a couple of
    >minutes to lightly brown the crumb-topping. Use a wide spatula to remove the fillets to a platter
    >or your plates.
    >
    >If you'd like to pan-fry it but prefer not to use cornmeal as a breading you might try a
    >traditional beer batter instead.
    >
    >Jill

  11. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Louis Cohen wrote:

    > Add it to canned chowder rather than potato soup, or make your own chowder.

    ??? I'm talking about making my own chowder as a variation on homemade potato soup. Not canned
    potato soup.

    > As a healthier alternative to frying, coat with flour, then egg wash, then seasoned cornmeal and
    > bake in the oven at 450° until it flakes apart easily. Almost as good as fried but much less fat.

    Thanks.

    -Bob

  12. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
    > with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
    >
    > I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
    >
    > I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
    >
    > Fish tacos?

    Don't knock those until you've tried them. ;-) Tuna tacos if done right can be awesome. (don't even
    go there gutter minds! LOL!)

    Stir fry with some compatible veggies?

    Bake with lemon, green onions and dill, with an under layer of sliced spuds or pre-cooked rice?

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

  13. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to
    > > do with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
    > >
    > > I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
    > >
    > > I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
    > >
    > > Fish tacos?
    >
    > Don't knock those until you've tried them. ;-) Tuna tacos if done right can be awesome. (don't
    > even go there gutter minds! LOL!)
    >
    > Stir fry with some compatible veggies?
    >
    > Bake with lemon, green onions and dill, with an under layer of sliced spuds or pre-cooked rice?
    >

    > > Thanks, regards, Bob
    >
    > --
    > Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
    >
    > >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid =katra

    I absolutely adore fish tacos and make them frequently. My favorite fish for beer battered fish
    tacos is snapper. If I'm grilling or sauteeing, I like Ahi, Ono, or Mahi-Mahi. Use LOTS of lime
    juice, shredded cabbage, cheese, chopped tomatoes and onion, and I usually make a *white* sauce made
    of mayo, sour cream, lime juice with a touch of salsa thrown in. It's easy and so good!

    kilikini

  14. Paula

    Paula Guest

    why not use some in a captains pie, like shepherd pie but with fish --and a nice white sauce to
    go with it.

  15. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    I think you'll find that potato soup with fish added doesn't much resemble chowder. Chowder has a
    fish (or whatever seafood is available locally) stock base, rather than a vegetable/potato stock.

    ----