?Frozen pollock

Zxcvbob

Guest
I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?

I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.

I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.

Fish tacos?

Thanks, regards, Bob

zxcvbob wrote:
> I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
> with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
>
> I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
>
> I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
>
> Fish tacos?
>
> Thanks, regards, Bob

Bob, my mother used to buy frozen pollock all the time when I was a teen. It's a fairly mild-tasting
white fish, much like cod. You can bake it using any of a myriad of recipes you might find for cod
or other white fish. IIRC I've used these fillets in a manner similar to this (note: I tend to "wing-
it"): blend some breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs with a little melted butter, finely chopped
parsley, finely minced garlic (or just a dash of garlic powder), pepper. Place about four fillets in
a baking dish. Pour a little bit of milk around the fillets (I find this works better than water and
you don't want to "fry" the fish so leave out oil or cooking spray). Sprinkle the fillets lightly
with some finely shredded cheese. Top with the crumb mixture. Bake at 350F 10 minutes, just long
enough for the fillets to be tender. Turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to lightly brown
the crumb-topping. Use a wide spatula to remove the fillets to a platter or your plates.

If you'd like to pan-fry it but prefer not to use cornmeal as a breading you might try a traditional
beer batter instead.

Jill

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
> with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?

Poached on lemon slice in chardonnay.

Fish chowder.

Dredged in flour, dipped in egg wash, and then dropped in a beer batter mix, then deep-fried.

Ceviche (although my own recent attempt at this was pretty bad.)

The Ranger

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:31:13 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
>with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
>
>I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
>
>I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
>
>Fish tacos?

Thai Fish Cakes. Can't hurt to add a little shrimp to the mix as well. Not much, just a little
for flavor.

-sw

x-no-archive: yes

>I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
>with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
>
>I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
>
>I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
>
>Fish tacos?

Yes, soup and tacos are great ways to use frozen fish.

I also sometimes use mild frozen fish, cooked in some simple way and then chopped up, to make salad,
like tuna salad.

Naomi D.

jmcquown wrote:
> If you'd like to pan-fry it but prefer not to use cornmeal as a breading you might try a
> traditional beer batter instead.
>
> Jill

Breaded and fried is *good*; I'm just cutting way back on white bread, sweets, beer, and fried foods
for a while.

Best regards, Bob

zxcvbob wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> If you'd like to pan-fry it but prefer not to use cornmeal as a breading you might try a
>> traditional beer batter instead.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Breaded and fried is *good*; I'm just cutting way back on white bread, sweets, beer, and fried
> foods for a while.
>
> Best regards, Bob

Cutting back on *beer*?! Blasphemy! <G> Breaded and fried is fine, but I really prefer baked or
grilled fish.

Good luck with your pollock and please post what you wound up doing with some of it. 10 pounds is a
bit of fish so you can experiment.

Jill

Add it to canned chowder rather than potato soup, or make your own chowder.

As a healthier alternative to frying, coat with flour, then egg wash, then seasoned cornmeal and
bake in the oven at 450° until it flakes apart easily. Almost as good as fried but much less fat.

----
Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
> with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
>
> I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
>
> I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
>
> Fish tacos?
>
> Thanks, regards, Bob

Bob,

I sent suggestions but I misdirected them to Jill....Sorry Look for them....

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:31:13 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

>I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
>with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
>
>I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
>
>I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
>
>Fish tacos?
>
>Thanks, regards, Bob

You'll enjoy these.........

FISH'N VEGETABLES

1 lb Fish Fillets, (firm) 3 Tbs Sherry 1 Tbs Vegetable oil 1 Tbs Lemon juice 1 cup Onions (sliced)
1 tsp Salt 3 cup Zucchini (sliced) 1/2 tsp Basil 1 cup Green Pepper (sliced) 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
3/4 cup Tomatoes (chopped) 1 dsh Hot Pepper Sauce

In 10 to 12 inch covered sauce pan, saute onion, zucchini, green pepper and tomato in oil, until crisp-
tender. Next combine, sherry, lemon juice, salt, basil, pepper, and pepper sauce, to vegetables and
blend. Add fish; cover and cook till fish flakes. Serve over rice.

For fillet, use firm-fleshed, cut into serving-sized pieces.

FISH IN TOMATO GRAVY

1 ea Onion, large, minced 1 tsp Sugar 2 ea Celery rib, minced 2 cup Tomatoes, chopped 3 Tbs
each, Butter/Olive oil 2 ea Garlic cloves, chopped 1 lb Fish 1 Tbs Parsley, chopped 1 x
Salt/pepper to taste

In 10 to12 inch sauce pan, saute onion and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic, parsley,
tomatoes, and sugar. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to low heat. Cook about 1 hour, to reduce
fluid. Salt and pepper to taste.

Add fish; cover and cook until thick, and or fish flakes. Small amounts of water may be added to
sauce as needed during cooking. Serve over rice. On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:42:45 -0600, "jmcquown"

Louis Cohen wrote:

> Add it to canned chowder rather than potato soup, or make your own chowder.

??? I'm talking about making my own chowder as a variation on homemade potato soup. Not canned
potato soup.

> As a healthier alternative to frying, coat with flour, then egg wash, then seasoned cornmeal and
> bake in the oven at 450° until it flakes apart easily. Almost as good as fried but much less fat.

Thanks.

-Bob

In article <[email protected]>,
zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to do
> with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
>
> I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
>
> I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
>
> Fish tacos?

Don't knock those until you've tried them. ;-) Tuna tacos if done right can be awesome. (don't even
go there gutter minds! LOL!)

Stir fry with some compatible veggies?

Bake with lemon, green onions and dill, with an under layer of sliced spuds or pre-cooked rice?

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I bought a 10 pound box of frozen pollock fillets on sale for $10. What are some good things to
> > do with it, besides rolling it in cornmeal and frying?
> >
> > I don't expect it to be like fresh-never-frozen swordfish or trout.
> >
> > I'll probably add some of it to potato soup to make chowder.
> >
> > Fish tacos?
>
> Don't knock those until you've tried them. ;-) Tuna tacos if done right can be awesome. (don't
> even go there gutter minds! LOL!)
>
> Stir fry with some compatible veggies?
>
> Bake with lemon, green onions and dill, with an under layer of sliced spuds or pre-cooked rice?
>

> > Thanks, regards, Bob
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid =katra

I absolutely adore fish tacos and make them frequently. My favorite fish for beer battered fish
tacos is snapper. If I'm grilling or sauteeing, I like Ahi, Ono, or Mahi-Mahi. Use LOTS of lime
juice, shredded cabbage, cheese, chopped tomatoes and onion, and I usually make a *white* sauce made
of mayo, sour cream, lime juice with a touch of salsa thrown in. It's easy and so good!

kilikini

why not use some in a captains pie, like shepherd pie but with fish --and a nice white sauce to
go with it.

I think you'll find that potato soup with fish added doesn't much resemble chowder. Chowder has a
fish (or whatever seafood is available locally) stock base, rather than a vegetable/potato stock.

----