frozen seat post....need recs on how to free

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Spellman

Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum. Welded together from oxidation and rust. LBS tried w pipe
wrench, vice, and lubricants...all to no avail. Bike is mid 80's vintage road bike....Suntour,
lugged steel, etc. Still looks and rides great, so I'd really like to salvage it. Don't care if I
damage the seat post. Would prefer to keep frame damage to a minimum.

How do I free it? Blowtorch? Who is best able/equipped to do it? bike shop? frame builder?
machine shop?

I'm in NYC and am all ears to any specific advise on who to bring it to.

Thanks for the help.

John Spellman wrote:
> Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum. Welded together from oxidation and rust. LBS tried w pipe
> wrench, vice, and lubricants...all to no avail. Bike is mid 80's vintage road bike....Suntour,
> lugged steel, etc. Still looks and rides great, so I'd really like to salvage it. Don't care if I
> damage the seat post. Would prefer to keep frame damage to a minimum.
>
> How do I free it?

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Sheldon "Unggggghhh!" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
| If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough! | --BOB Simon |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

"John Spellman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum. Welded together from oxidation and rust. LBS tried w pipe
> wrench, vice, and lubricants...all to no avail. Bike is mid 80's vintage road bike....Suntour,
> lugged steel, etc. Still looks and rides great, so I'd really like to salvage it. Don't care if I
> damage the seat post. Would prefer to keep frame damage to a minimum.
>
> How do I free it? Blowtorch? Who is best able/equipped to do it? bike shop? frame builder?
> machine shop?

The Mad Monk probably has a solution (and avoidances) for you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Pete

In article <[email protected]>, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> writes:
>
> Sheldon "Unggggghhh!" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
>| If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough! | --BOB Simon |

I dunno, mebbe you've already heard it, but a good tune to listen to sometimes, is "Brute Force &
Ignorance", by Rory Gallagher.

In the old days, when there were vinyl albums, it was on his "Photo Finish" vinyl album.

There's some pretty good mandolin'ing in there, and other nicely & sensibly-expressed
seatpost-pulling provocations & incentives. It's just an inspiring tune.

Good ol' Rory Gallagher. I dunno why, but his tunes are so cyclistic. I think so, anyways.

cheers, & Unggggghhhh!
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

"John Spellman" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum. Welded together from oxidation and rust.

I tried every Sheldon Brown advice, no one worked. The only device that worked was a drill. Use a
26mm cutter: it has to be wider than the inner diameter of the seatpost but narrower than the inner
diameter of the seat tube. Cut your seapost then introduce the cutter in it. It would be better to
be in a workshop and have the adequate "background" to perfectly align the drill and the frame. If
you are careful enough, the frame won't be damaged and you'll extract the drill with the rest of the
seatpost lovely coped with the cutter.

Not easy at all, to be honest.

Ciao Maurizio, Bologna, Italy

In article <[email protected]>,
"Maurizio" <[email protected]> writes:

> Not easy at all, to be honest.

Wouldn't it be a ***** if holding the bike up by the seatpost with one hand, and giving the top of
the seat tube a well-placed, sharp-but-not-destructive rap with a big, ol' rolled-leather mallet
with the other hand, accomplished the same goal?

Vibrations in metal can work in inscrutably wonderful ways, when given a fair chance to do
their stuff.

How often do things really need to be reamed-out?

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:29:58 -0800, <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Tom
Keats) wrote:

>How often do things really need to be reamed-out?

I think that depends on how they often drive. But the big 'ol rawhide mallet sounds like a good
idea anyway.
--
zk

John Spellman <[email protected]> scribed in
<[email protected]>:

> Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum.

> How do I free it? Blowtorch?

Nooooooooo aluminum expands faster than steel, so heat will just make it stick tighter.

Some liquid nitrogen or even solid carbon dioxide will cool it enough to break the bond as the ali
shrinks more than the steel. don't hit it when frozen, it will crack

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\ http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \
/ ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying
"Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Maurizio wrote:
> "John Spellman" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum. Welded together from oxidation and rust.
> I tried every Sheldon Brown advice, no one worked. The only device that worked was a drill.

Instead, I duplicated Mike's technique. All I needed was a 'hack-less' saw, and a little over an
hour of labor, and I freed an otherwise beautiful Colnago frame.

Sergio
From [email protected] Thu Oct 30 10:04:31 2003 Date: 4 Apr 2003 12:04:50 -0800 From:
Mike <[email protected]> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Subject: HELP! "Frozen"
seatpost. IT'S OUT!

First, thanks for the ideas and encouragement.

How I got it out:

Since nothing else worked, I had to resort to "mechanical removal." I cut off the post at the
highest point possible, before it tapered to "aero." Whoa! This baby had 5mm thick sidewalls
(eventually tapering down to 3mm at the post bottom, I would see later. It was an old Shimano 600 or
Dura-Ace). There would obviously be no "curling this thing in on itself" after making a single
vertical cut through the post sidewall--not at over 3mm thick.

So I made SIX radial cuts (sort of like slicing a pizza), using a Sawzall WITH EXTREME CAUTION,
being careful not to cut completely through the post. I then deepened two of adjacent cuts further
using a keyhole-type saw that's essentially a handle which accepts Sawzall blades (invest a few
bucks in one of these--it's very handy, and it beats the heck out of trying to jerry-rig a hacksaw
blade for these kinds of jobs).

I then punched/pried the one section inward toward the post center. Once it was out of the way, it
was relatively easy to collapse the post in on itself by squeezing it down to a smaller diameter,
and out it came. No damage to the frame, and about an hour total for the job.

Patience really was a virtue here, and having the right tools helped a lot, too (when you need a
Sawzall, there's nothing that beats a Sawzall).

Of course, the seatpost I trashed was a 26.8, since I have only about a half-dozen 27.2's in stock!

Thanks again. Hope this helps somebody else in the future.

Mike

[email protected] (Mike) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Well, I've finally encountered one I couldn't crack. Aluminum alloy seatpost stuck in an older
> Aegis carbon frame. Looks like there's a steel insert surrounding the post, 'cause I can see some
> rust. Usually, if after trying various brands of "rust-busters" and WD-40 with no success, I take
> out the propane torch and heat the post, let it cool, and out it comes. I've reasoned that simply
> heating and therefore "expanding" the post, only to let it cool again and contract, would buy me
> just enough "space." Combine that with differing expansion coefficients and rates, dissimilar
> metals, etc., etc., and you "break" the bond. I'm no engineer, but it has never failed me before.
> Well, not this time, even after trying all of the above repeatedly. LAY YOUR BEST RECIPE ON ME!
> Thanks, Mike

In article <[email protected]>, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
> Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:29:58 -0800, <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Tom
> Keats) wrote:
>
>>How often do things really need to be reamed-out?
>
> I think that depends on how they often drive.

Having to *drive* a seatpost /in/ sounds like sumpthin's wrong from the get-go.

> But the big 'ol rawhide mallet sounds like a good idea anyway.

It's one of my favourite tools. A 3-pounder, with good heft & balance. Not one of those dinky,
uneffective little tap-tap-tap units. The head on it is like half a Prest-O-Log. It can be more of a
maul than a mallet. But it's not for Brute Force & Ignorance. It's not a sledge hammer.

I think what the original poster really needs is a good bench vice, and maybe a coupla injected
squirts of Liquid Wrench left overnight.

It might kill the seatpost, but they're cheap and replacable anyways.

cheers, Tom

--