frozen seat post....need recs on how to free

John Spellman

Guest
Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum. Welded together from oxidation and rust. LBS tried w pipe
wrench, vice, and lubricants...all to no avail. Bike is mid 80's vintage road bike....Suntour,
lugged steel, etc. Still looks and rides great, so I'd really like to salvage it. Don't care if I
damage the seat post. Would prefer to keep frame damage to a minimum.

How do I free it? Blowtorch? Who is best able/equipped to do it? bike shop? frame builder?
machine shop?

I'm in NYC and am all ears to any specific advise on who to bring it to.

Thanks for the help.

John Spellman wrote:
> Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum. Welded together from oxidation and rust. LBS tried w pipe
> wrench, vice, and lubricants...all to no avail. Bike is mid 80's vintage road bike....Suntour,
> lugged steel, etc. Still looks and rides great, so I'd really like to salvage it. Don't care if I
> damage the seat post. Would prefer to keep frame damage to a minimum.
>
> How do I free it?

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Sheldon "Unggggghhh!" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
| If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough! | --BOB Simon |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

"John Spellman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frame is steel. Seat post is aluminum. Welded together from oxidation and rust. LBS tried w pipe
> wrench, vice, and lubricants...all to no avail. Bike is mid 80's vintage road bike....Suntour,
> lugged steel, etc. Still looks and rides great, so I'd really like to salvage it. Don't care if I
> damage the seat post. Would prefer to keep frame damage to a minimum.
>
> How do I free it? Blowtorch? Who is best able/equipped to do it? bike shop? frame builder?
> machine shop?

The Mad Monk probably has a solution (and avoidances) for you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Pete

In article <[email protected]>, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> writes:

>| If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough! | --BOB Simon |

I dunno, mebbe you've already heard it, but a good tune to listen to sometimes, is "Brute Force &
Ignorance", by Rory Gallagher.

In the old days, when there were vinyl albums, it was on his "Photo Finish" vinyl album.

There's some pretty good mandolin'ing in there, and other nicely & sensibly-expressed
seatpost-pulling provocations & incentives. It's just an inspiring tune.

Good ol' Rory Gallagher. I dunno why, but his tunes are so cyclistic. I think so, anyways.

cheers, & Unggggghhhh!
Tom