Frozen seatpost

Pat Lee

Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone have suggestions for unsticking a frozen seatpost? I've tried the cola-in-the-seat-tube trick for 3 days, but to no avail.

Is there something a bike shop or a machine shop can do to get the post out without damaging my frame? It's a Fat Chance, so I don't want to destroy it.

Originally posted by Pat Lee
Does anyone have suggestions for unsticking a frozen seatpost? I've tried the cola-in-the-seat-tube trick for 3 days, but to no avail.

Is there something a bike shop or a machine shop can do to get the post out without damaging my frame? It's a Fat Chance, so I don't want to destroy it.
Sheldon Brown has an article at www.harriscyclery.com

I'll try the ammonia. Thanks for the pointer to Sheldon Brown. I love that website. He has some real info on there, not just hearsay. I guess I'll try CO2 after that. When I'm done, I'll post the results. I really want this seatpost out!

Thanks again,
--Pat.

Before going the CO2 route throw a damp washcloth in the freezer, chill it, then wrap it around the post. At the same time, expand the tube a little with a blow-dryer, warm-hot setting (do this first, then apply the cloth). This has worked for me with numerous automotive dilemmas. (Sometimes I use a propane torch or oven for the female part...........NOT RECOMMENDED HERE!!!)

move to a hotter country:D :D

Originally posted by p55mac
Before going the CO2 route throw a damp washcloth in the freezer, chill it, then wrap it around the post. At the same time, expand the tube a little with a blow-dryer, warm-hot setting (do this first, then apply the cloth). This has worked for me with numerous automotive dilemmas. (Sometimes I use a propane torch or oven for the female part...........NOT RECOMMENDED HERE!!!)

.........I’ve also used computer duster spray. You can discharge super-chilled air by holding the can upside down. Use with the long, thin red plastic tube to direct onto the post. It’s very cold and flammable so BE CAREFUL.......protect eyes, skin, and the frame (I don’t want your paint to get frostbitten).

If all else fails, get a pipe wrench and twist the seatpost out. That is what I had to do for a couple seatposts. It destroys the seatpost, but once it is out you can get the rust out of the frame (I'm assuming it is rust that stuck it in there and not a seatpost one size larger than the frame). Not pretty, but it gets the job done.

Originally posted by Karlo
If all else fails, get a pipe wrench and twist the seatpost out. That is what I had to do for a couple seatposts. It destroys the seatpost, but once it is out you can get the rust out of the frame (I'm assuming it is rust that stuck it in there and not a seatpost one size larger than the frame). Not pretty, but it gets the job done.

It's some kinda rust, I think. The pipe wrench thing is a good idea, but I've already tried the bench vise on this puppy and boy is it stubborn.

---Pat.

I have been here before and for the ultimate and most hairy solution get a saw-z-all and mount a new bi-metal fine tooth blade on it. You might have to do some pre-cutting to get post to where you have acess to the inside of the seat post. I found the most difficult part of this operation to be getting sufficient light on the blade while cutting the inside of the post. Maybe a helper holding a flashlight would be the answer? The skill involved is that you keep the blade parallel so that it cuts just the post metal. Go slow... cut and check, cut and check... one clean cut through and it will twist out with pipe wrench of vise grips.

As I recall (it’s been so long), my Flandria’s post eventually twisted out with a pipe wrench after applying (and reapplying several times) a little Liquid Wrench penetrant (auto parts store) and letting it act on the post/tube for about a day. No real damage aside from a few jaw marks left by the wrench (but it was a steel post). Afterthat I upgraded to an AL post.