FRS Two Way Radio Communication While Cycling

Grenouil

Guest
Has anyone experimented with FRS radios to communicate while cycling? If so, what brands/models? I'm
assuming that a model with hands free voice activation would be needed as opposed to "push to talk",
but don't know how reliable that would be.

I think there was a thread across this group a few months ago regarding this. A Motorola model was
mentioned. I made a trip to Costco today to check out their FRS radios for this reason. They have a
Motorola T6400WX 2-Way GMRS/FRS two pack, with chargers, batteries and a 5 mile range for $99.00
(US). I think I'll pick up a pair the next time we're there. We have a couple of older, less "fancy"
ones that we've used a little, while riding, in the past (Used them a lot at amusement parks, malls,
etc.) but, as we plan to ride more in the future, we want to upgrade. (Hopefully my wife won't get 5
miles ahead of me) Keith

news:[email protected]...

"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I think there was a thread across this group a few months
ago regarding
> this. A Motorola model was mentioned. I made a trip to Costco today to check out their FRS
radios for this reason.
> They have a Motorola T6400WX 2-Way GMRS/FRS two pack, with chargers, batteries and a 5 mile
> range for
$99.00 (US).
> I think I'll pick up a pair the next time we're there. We have a couple of older, less "fancy"
> ones that we've
used a little, while
> riding, in the past (Used them a lot at amusement parks,
malls, etc.) but,
> as we plan to ride more in the future, we want to upgrade. (Hopefully my wife won't get 5 miles
> ahead of me) Keith
>

> "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone experimented with FRS radios to communicate
while
> > cycling? If so, what brands/models? I'm assuming that
> > model with hands free voice activation would be needed
as
> > opposed to "push to talk", but don't know how reliable
that
> > would be.

Keith - thanks - I'll do a Google newsgroup search

Just checked out the Circuit City website - they list a "Cobra GMRS PR9502DX" with voice operation
for $79.99 for a two pack before a $20 rebate... The reviews are generally good on this model

Appears we're looking at these for the same reason - I just want to be sure my wife hasn't - fallen
off - got a flat - run over a skunk - been attacked by a dog - or gotten lost...... :))

"Keith" wrote:
> I made a trip to Costco today to check out their FRS radios for this
reason.
> They have a Motorola T6400WX 2-Way GMRS/FRS two pack, with chargers, batteries and a 5 mile range
> for $99.00 (US).

Unless you're standing on top of a mountain, you will not get anywhere near a 5-mile range from
handheld FRS radios.

Art Harris

There are two different types of radios one has a range of two miles and lots of channels. The other
has a range of about five miles. It has a subset of channels, and is larger & heavier.

news:[email protected]...

bobmcb wrote:
> There are two different types of radios one has a range of two miles and lots of channels. The
> other has a range of about five miles. It has a subset of channels, and is larger & heavier.

Yes, the first uses the 'FRS' channels while the second uses 'GMRS' (there's some channel overlap
and the GMRS service allows higher power). The specific radio being discussed works on both sets of
channels. Both ranges (2 & 5 miles) assume pretty good conditions with no hills or other major
obstructions in the way. I don't find either range to be realistic in most of the areas where I hike
or bicycle.

BTW, transmitting on the GMRS channels requires a license from the FCC. I believe the current cost
is $75 per family for 5 years.

> "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Keith" wrote:
>>
>>>I made a trip to Costco today to check out their FRS radios for this
>>
>>reason.
>>
>>>They have a Motorola T6400WX 2-Way GMRS/FRS two pack, with chargers, batteries and a 5 mile range
>>>for $99.00 (US).
>>
>>Unless you're standing on top of a mountain, you will not get anywhere
>
> near
>
>>a 5-mile range from handheld FRS radios.
>>
>>Art Harris

Understood. But I should get somewhat further than my current two mile range. Keith "Harris"

"bobmcb" wrote:

> There are two different types of radios one has a range of two miles and lots of channels. The
> other has a range of about five miles. It has a subset of channels, and is larger & heavier.

The FRS radios put out less that a 1 watt IIRC, while the GMRS handheld radios may put out up to 5
watts. But range is determined by MANY factors besides power. For example, if a handheld unit is
used to communicate with a base station (with a large roof mounted antenna), range will be much
greater than if two handheld units are used.

My experience with 5-watt VHF/UHF transceivers is that two handheld units will have difficulty
communicating reliably beyond 1-2 miles in many cases. YMMV.

Art Harris N2AH

bobmcb wrote:

> The other has a range of about five miles. It has a subset of channels, and is larger & heavier.

And requires a no-test license.

Barry

"Grenouil" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm assuming that a model with hands free voice activation would be needed as opposed to "push to
> talk", but don't know how reliable that would be.

You might want to reconsider using voice activation (VOX). The problem is that every huff and puff,
as well as every explitive, as well as wind noise, could key the transmitter.

A headset or earmike with a separate push-to-talk switch would probably be better. Perhaps you could
even mount the switch (or the radio) on the handlebars.

Dan

--
--------------
Dan Griswold Carrollton, TX

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "bobmcb" wrote:
>
> > There are two different types of radios one has a range of two miles
and
> > lots of channels. The other has a range of about five miles. It has a subset of channels, and is
> > larger & heavier.
>
> The FRS radios put out less that a 1 watt IIRC, while the GMRS handheld radios may put out up to 5
> watts. But range is determined by MANY factors besides power. For example, if a handheld unit is
> used to communicate with
> base station (with a large roof mounted antenna), range will be much
greater
> than if two handheld units are used.
>
> My experience with 5-watt VHF/UHF transceivers is that two handheld units will have difficulty
> communicating reliably beyond 1-2 miles in many
cases.
> YMMV.
>
> Art Harris N2AH

A small group (12) of Ham Radio Operators, here in Indianapolis, IN, regularly use 440mHz. (adjacent
to FRS & GMRS frequencies) 5 watt radios to stay in touch on long bike trail rides. 1 mile is good
and 2 miles is out of the question in most terrains. An FRS radio will seldom make 1 mile with both
stations standing on the ground.

GMRS does allow you to use repeaters. If a GMRS repeater is available you may be able to communicate
over many, many miles. Our repeater's antenna elevation is at 800 feet above ground and we can
reliable communicate over a radius of 30 miles with the same 5 watt handheld radios.

FRS is a great service but do not believe any of their advertised ranges. Test yourself so that you
will know what works reliably in your situation.

Mike - K9JRI

The Motorola I mentioned in a previous post lists FRS as 1/2 watt and the GMRS as 1 watt keith

"Michael B. Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "bobmcb" wrote:
> >
> > > There are two different types of radios one has a range of two miles
> and
> > > lots of channels. The other has a range of about five miles. It has
> > > subset of channels, and is larger & heavier.
> >
> > The FRS radios put out less that a 1 watt IIRC, while the GMRS handheld radios may put out up to
> > 5 watts. But range is determined by MANY
factors
> > besides power. For example, if a handheld unit is used to communicate
with
> > base station (with a large roof mounted antenna), range will be much
> greater
> > than if two handheld units are used.
> >
> > My experience with 5-watt VHF/UHF transceivers is that two handheld
units
> > will have difficulty communicating reliably beyond 1-2 miles in many
> cases.
> > YMMV.
> >
> > Art Harris N2AH
> >
> A small group (12) of Ham Radio Operators, here in Indianapolis, IN, regularly use 440mHz.
> (adjacent to FRS & GMRS frequencies) 5 watt radios
> stay in touch on long bike trail rides. 1 mile is good and 2 miles is out of the question in most
> terrains. An FRS radio will seldom make 1 mile
with
> both stations standing on the ground.
>
> GMRS does allow you to use repeaters. If a GMRS repeater is available you may be able to
> communicate over many, many miles. Our repeater's antenna elevation is at 800 feet above ground
> and we can reliable communicate over
> radius of 30 miles with the same 5 watt handheld radios.
>
> FRS is a great service but do not believe any of their advertised ranges. Test yourself so that
> you will know what works reliably in your situation.
>
> Mike - K9JRI

"Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone experimented with FRS radios to communicate
while
> cycling? If so, what brands/models? I'm assuming that a model with hands free voice activation
> would be needed as opposed to "push to talk", but don't know how reliable
that
> would be.

Range should not be an issue for what I have in mind if I can get reliable operation over a half a
mile or so - it's very unlikely we'll be that far apart. I'm more concerned with the operation of
VOX function - having to operate a "push to talk" button is not too appealing - and voice
transmission quality at one mile or less range.

"Keith" wrote:
> The Motorola I mentioned in a previous post lists FRS as 1/2 watt and the GMRS as 1 watt

Doubling the power output will have relatively little effect on range. It certainly will not double
the range.

Art Harris

As a member of a GMRS Repeater User's Group (RUG), you can access the group's repeater for your
personal use.

Many GMRS operators use business band radios programmed for GMRS operation.

FCC's General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) website
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmobile/

PRSG's GMRS Licensing Information http://www.provide.net/~prsg/license.htm

The FCC GMRS Licensing Process http://www.pe.net/~atd/fcc605.htm

Filing General Mobile Radio Service License http://www.hrdent.com/gmrs/gmrsapp.html

FCC 605 Main Form - Quick-Form Application for Authorization
http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605main.pdf (.PDF file)

FCC 159 Form - Remittance Advice http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form159/159.pdf (.PDF file)

Description of GMRS Simplex and Duplex Operation: http://www.gmrs.org/gmrs_ovr.htm

A Travel Tone System for GMRS travelers and vistors http://www.gmrsweb.com/gmrs1413.html

A More Detailed Description http://www.provide.net/~prsg/wi-gmrs.htm

GMRS Web Magazine http://www.gmrsweb.com/gmrs.html

General Mobile Radio Service Information Pages: http://www.gmrsweb.com/gmrsprsg.html

General Mobile Radio Service Forums http://www.popularwireless.com./cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

GMRS Web Magazine Mailing List (may require cookies/sign-in)

Radio Emergency Associated Communications Teams (REACT) http://www.reactintl.org/

A Central Registry for G-M-R-S Repeater Owners and Users http://www.g-m-r-s.org/

The GMRS Web Bubble-Pack Pirate FAQ http://www.gmrsweb.com/gmrsbppfaq.html

Radio Retailer Code of Conduct http://www.gmrsweb.com/gmrscoderetailer.html

GMRS Intruder Alert! http://www.gmrsweb.com/intruderalert.html

GMRS Radio Operator Code of Conduct http://www.gmrsweb.com/gmrscodeoperator.html

GMRS/FRS/MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) newsgroup news:alt.radio.family

While on the Amateur Radio 440 mHz band, rather than FRS, I have found VOX to be unacceptable as it
is constantly operating due to heavy breathing, wind noise or comments made to nearby persons that
you would rather not have sent out over the air.

What has worked well is a remote speaker/mic clipped to the neck of my jersey and the radio tucked
away in the rear jersey pocket or clipped to my pants belt or pocket.

This allows you to hear well and all you have to do is reach up, press the PTT button and talk. The
mic is close enough that it picks up your voice extremely well.

Mike - K9JRI

"Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone experimented with FRS radios to communicate
> while
> > cycling? If so, what brands/models? I'm assuming that a model with hands free voice activation
> > would be needed as opposed to "push to talk", but don't know how reliable
> that
> > would be.
> >

> Range should not be an issue for what I have in mind if I can get reliable operation over a half a
> mile or so - it's very unlikely we'll be that far apart. I'm more concerned with the operation of
> VOX function - having to operate a "push to talk" button is not too appealing - and voice
> transmission quality at one mile or less range.

Dan Griswold <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Grenouil" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I'm assuming that a model with hands free voice activation would be needed as opposed to "push
> > to talk", but don't know how reliable that would be.
>
> You might want to reconsider using voice activation (VOX). The problem is that every huff and
> puff, as well as every explitive, as well as wind noise, could key the transmitter.
>
> A headset or earmike with a separate push-to-talk switch would probably be better. Perhaps you
> could even mount the switch (or the radio) on the handlebars.
>
> Dan

Speaking from experience I can tell you that a hands free VOX trips all the time. The most annoying
time is on long downhills where the wind noise will trip it.

I can also tell you from experience that a push-to-talk button clipped to the collar of my jersy is
not a problem, even when riding in traffic.

I can't offer any advice on FRS. My wife and I are both hams and we use that service. I use an
earpiece that includes a mike. As I said I clip, the PTT button on my jersey and stick the radio in
one of my jersey pockets. With the small antenna so close to my body the signal will not go much
past line-of-sight. And that is with my wife following in a support van with a roof mounted antenna.
(Typically when we get on the fringes of coverage I can hear her but she can't hear me).

The amount of power will make very little difference. I typically run .1 watt on my radio just
to preserve battery life (my rides are very long). If you want better coverage you can mount a
real antenna on the back of your bike, away from your body. For an (amateur radio) example take
a look at:

http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/antennae.htm

I'm not sure if extending the coverage of FRS radios are legal, however.

Good luck, Tom

>I think there was a thread across this group a few months ago regarding this. A Motorola model was
>mentioned. I made a trip to Costco today to check out their FRS radios for this reason. They have a
>Motorola T6400WX 2-Way GMRS/FRS two pack, with chargers, batteries and a 5 mile range for $99.00
>(US). I think I'll pick up a pair the next time we're there. We have a couple of older, less
>"fancy" ones that we've used a little, while riding, in the past (Used them a lot at amusement
>parks, malls, etc.) but, as we plan to ride more in the future, we want to upgrade. (Hopefully my
>wife won't get 5 miles ahead of me) Keith

FRS and GMRS have different power outputs, hence different ranges. The FRS is the one with the two
mile limit and GMRS will give you the 5 mile range. Of course those ranges are under ideal
conditions. FRS only radios have dropped in price quite a bit. You should be able to get a pair for
$50 or less.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Michael B. Blake wrote:

> What has worked well is a remote speaker/mic clipped to the neck of my jersey and the radio tucked
> away in the rear jersey pocket or clipped to my pants belt or pocket.

I was just going to echo your comments. I found the remote speaker/mic a
must, as I had trouble finding the PTT button on my radio while mountain biking.

So much so, that I found it easier to just shout my reply (if they were within visible range)
rather than fumble with the buttons. The remote speaker/mic made it significantly easier.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

>"Keith" wrote:
>> I made a trip to Costco today to check out their FRS radios for this
>reason.
>> They have a Motorola T6400WX 2-Way GMRS/FRS two pack, with chargers, batteries and a 5 mile range
>> for $99.00 (US).
>
>Unless you're standing on top of a mountain, you will not get anywhere near a 5-mile range from
>handheld FRS radios.

True, but the GMRS frequencies ones will go further.