fruit

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by anonymous, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    is eating fruit good for runners? if so, what kinds are
    good? and, where can i get some dried fruit that isn't
    full of sugar?

    Tags:

  2. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >is eating fruit good for runners?

    Well, I eat a lot of dried fruit and I run a lot. That's not
    very scientific, but it is empirical.

    >where can i get some dried fruit that isn't full of sugar?

    That's harder, but not so hard as you might think. I'm not
    particularly big on sweets, either. You will find that dried
    Cranberries, and even dried Blueberries, when you can find
    them, are much less sweet than say, raisins, or dried
    pineapple chunks. Dried Apricots aren't too sweet, either,
    usually. They are all by and large good for your digestion
    (be a little judicious in your timing, if you know what I
    mean). For the most part, they analyze well, too, being sort
    of "concentrated" forms of fruit juice with all the fiber
    left in, and the vitamins and minerals concentrated as well.
    Don't know where you are located, but around here the best
    sources for the widest variety of this sort of thing are the
    Trader Joes and the Whole Foods markets.

  3. Dan J. S.

    Dan J. S. Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > is eating fruit good for runners? if so, what kinds are
    > good? and, where can i get some dried fruit that isn't
    > full of sugar?

    bananas and tomatoes come to mind...

  4. David

    David Guest

    [email protected]oups.com wrote:
    > is eating fruit good for runners? if so, what kinds are
    > good? and, where can i get some dried fruit that isn't
    > full of sugar?

    Fruit is good for everyone. And what's wrong with sugar?
    Runners need sugar. Sugar is energy. I find a convenient way
    to get more fruit in my diet (tho' I do eat a lot of fresh
    fruit too) is to make smoothies from frozen fruit. You can
    buy big bags of pre-cut frozen fruit at the grocery store
    which makes smoothie-making a snap. I try to eat a lot of
    berries too.

    --
    Nova Scotia, Canada

  5. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >bananas and tomatoes come to mind...

    Both of which are now readily available in "dried" form, I
    might add. Dried tomatoes are certainly tangy little
    buggers, but if the acidity doesn't bother you, they're
    great. While we're on the subject of vegetable-like fruit, I
    also eat a load of chili peppers, dried, fresh, whatever,
    which doesn't seem to hurt me any. Red peppers are higher in
    both vitamin C and vitamin A than nearly any other fruit!
    And of course, they've got virtually no sugar, which brings
    them within the purview of the OP's inquiry...

  6. David

    David Guest

    >> bananas and tomatoes come to mind...

    I thought starchy fruits were worse for sugar tho'?

    --
    Nova Scotia, Canada

  7. Open Piper

    Open Piper Guest

    Re: fruit

    Roidgers back?

  8. Bob Beckert

    Bob Beckert Guest

    Try buying from http://www.bellaviva.com/index.html. I've
    been ordering from them for about two years. I just placed
    another order on 03/12 for eight pounds and it will arrive
    in Canton, OH from California by UPS ground on
    03/19.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > is eating fruit good for runners? if so, what kinds are
    > good? and, where can i get some dried fruit that isn't
    > full of sugar?

  9. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    "Dan J. S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > is eating fruit good for runners? if so, what kinds are
    > > good? and, where can i get some dried fruit that isn't
    > > full of sugar?
    > >

    > bananas and tomatoes come to mind...

    I thought nearly all dried bananas had added sugar, usually
    in the form of honey. My understanding was this helped
    preserve the appearance (ie, keeps the slices from turning
    brown). Maybe the amount is not very significant?

    ed