fruitcake booze

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by rox formerly rmg, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
    1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I stretch
    rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured together
    in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which says
    its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.

    rox

    Tags:

  2. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    rox formerly rmg wrote:
    > I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
    > 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I stretch
    > rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured together
    > in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which says
    > its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > rox

    Brandy, rum, or bourbon works, or you can mix 'em. Or use the 1/2 cup
    of rum that you have, and baste with more rum in a few days when you get
    some more.

    Bob

  3. On Sat 26 Nov 2005 06:18:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it rox
    formerly rmg?

    > I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have
    > about 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can
    > I stretch rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're
    > featured together in some hot holiday punches but I have found no
    > fruitcake recipe which says its ok to use both. Thanks for your
    > thoughts.
    >
    > rox

    I always use *both* brandy and rum in and on my fruitcakes. I like the
    combined flavors.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    rox formerly rmg wrote:
    > I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
    > 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I stretch
    > rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured together
    > in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which says
    > its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.

    A lot depends on the type of rum, dark rums are typically 'rummier'.
    Make the cake, use what rum you have and you can always add more rum
    later. Of course you can drink the rum and screw the cake... fruit
    cakes are generally pretty awful and rarely eaten... just a waste of
    good booze and other costly ingredients.

    Sheldon Canejuice

  5. pennyaline

    pennyaline Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it rox formerly rmg?, wrote:
    >
    >> I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have
    >> about 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can
    >> I stretch rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're
    >> featured together in some hot holiday punches but I have found no
    >> fruitcake recipe which says its ok to use both. Thanks for your
    >> thoughts.
    >>
    >> rox
    >>

    > I always use *both* brandy and rum in and on my fruitcakes. I like the
    > combined flavors.

    Once I was stuck with nothing to use but peach schnapps. It produced a
    nice flavor and the result was very popular among my friends and family.

    <I do *so* have taste>

  6. "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > rox formerly rmg wrote:
    > > I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have

    about
    > > 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I

    stretch
    > > rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured

    together
    > > in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which

    says
    > > its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.

    > A lot depends on the type of rum, dark rums are typically 'rummier'.
    > Make the cake, use what rum you have and you can always add more rum
    > later. Of course you can drink the rum and screw the cake... fruit
    > cakes are generally pretty awful and rarely eaten... just a waste of
    > good booze and other costly ingredients.

    Hah! I used dark rum and Maker's Mark. So there.

    My family loves 'em. I just use raisins, currants, golden raisins, dried
    apricots, candied orange peel, and this time I threw in a little dried
    pineapple. As fruitcakes go it's a boozy breakfast treat. cheers

  7. rox formerly rmg wrote:

    > I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have
    > about
    > 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I
    > stretch
    > rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured
    > together
    > in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which
    > says
    > its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > rox

    If its a good American brandy or fine French Cognac and a real rum (as
    opposed to grain alcohol and caramel colouring) i see no reason why
    not, i have a dark fruitcake recipe that calls for 1/4 cup each of
    brandy, madeira & port as well as 1 tbs. of creme de Noyaux liquor, an
    almond flavoured liquor made from peach and apricot kernels.

    Eggnog traditionally has both rum and brandy in it and some where i have
    a recipe for an eggnog cake.
    ---
    JL

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    "rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
    > 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I stretch
    > rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured together
    > in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which says
    > its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > rox

    That sounds fabulous actually. :-d
    --
    Om.

  9. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
    > 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I

    stretch
    > rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured

    together
    > in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which

    says
    > its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > rox

    Go for it! The flavours are hardly incompatible, both having a nice smooth
    sweetness. Or, as zxcvbob said - use what you have (of whichever you choose)
    now and baste with some more when you've bought some, if you wish to avoid
    mixing. Personally, I think brandy and rum would make for a delicious
    fruitcake, if I could stand heavy fruit cakes at all that is ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe not a fan of dried fruit, and especially a disliker of dried fruit
    peel - bleuch!