fruitcake booze

rox formerly rmg

Guest
I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I stretch
rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured together
in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which says
its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.

rox

rox formerly rmg wrote:
> I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
> 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I stretch
> rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured together
> in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which says
> its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> rox

Brandy, rum, or bourbon works, or you can mix 'em. Or use the 1/2 cup
of rum that you have, and baste with more rum in a few days when you get
some more.

Bob

On Sat 26 Nov 2005 06:18:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it rox
formerly rmg?

> I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have
> about 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can
> I stretch rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're
> featured together in some hot holiday punches but I have found no
> fruitcake recipe which says its ok to use both. Thanks for your
> thoughts.
>
> rox

I always use *both* brandy and rum in and on my fruitcakes. I like the
combined flavors.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

rox formerly rmg wrote:
> I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
> 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I stretch
> rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured together
> in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which says
> its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.

A lot depends on the type of rum, dark rums are typically 'rummier'.
Make the cake, use what rum you have and you can always add more rum
later. Of course you can drink the rum and screw the cake... fruit
cakes are generally pretty awful and rarely eaten... just a waste of
good booze and other costly ingredients.

Sheldon Canejuice

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it rox formerly rmg?, wrote:
>
>> I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have
>> about 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can
>> I stretch rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're
>> featured together in some hot holiday punches but I have found no
>> fruitcake recipe which says its ok to use both. Thanks for your
>> thoughts.
>>
>> rox
>>

> I always use *both* brandy and rum in and on my fruitcakes. I like the
> combined flavors.

Once I was stuck with nothing to use but peach schnapps. It produced a
nice flavor and the result was very popular among my friends and family.

<I do *so* have taste>

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> rox formerly rmg wrote:
> > I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have

about
> > 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I

stretch
> > rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured

together
> > in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which

says
> > its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.

> A lot depends on the type of rum, dark rums are typically 'rummier'.
> Make the cake, use what rum you have and you can always add more rum
> later. Of course you can drink the rum and screw the cake... fruit
> cakes are generally pretty awful and rarely eaten... just a waste of
> good booze and other costly ingredients.

Hah! I used dark rum and Maker's Mark. So there.

My family loves 'em. I just use raisins, currants, golden raisins, dried
apricots, candied orange peel, and this time I threw in a little dried
pineapple. As fruitcakes go it's a boozy breakfast treat. cheers

rox formerly rmg wrote:

> I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have
> about
> 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I
> stretch
> rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured
> together
> in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which
> says
> its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> rox

If its a good American brandy or fine French Cognac and a real rum (as
opposed to grain alcohol and caramel colouring) i see no reason why
not, i have a dark fruitcake recipe that calls for 1/4 cup each of
brandy, madeira & port as well as 1 tbs. of creme de Noyaux liquor, an
almond flavoured liquor made from peach and apricot kernels.

Eggnog traditionally has both rum and brandy in it and some where i have
a recipe for an eggnog cake.
---
JL

In article <[email protected]>,
"rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
> 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I stretch
> rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured together
> in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which says
> its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> rox

That sounds fabulous actually. :-d
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know a fruitcake will take brandy or rum. I just discovered I have about
> 1/2 cup rum as opposed to the 3/4 for which the recipe calls. Can I

stretch
> rum with brandy or is that just disgusting? I know they're featured

together
> in some hot holiday punches but I have found no fruitcake recipe which

says
> its ok to use both. Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> rox

Go for it! The flavours are hardly incompatible, both having a nice smooth
sweetness. Or, as zxcvbob said - use what you have (of whichever you choose)
now and baste with some more when you've bought some, if you wish to avoid
mixing. Personally, I think brandy and rum would make for a delicious
fruitcake, if I could stand heavy fruit cakes at all that is ',;~}~

Shaun aRe not a fan of dried fruit, and especially a disliker of dried fruit
peel - bleuch!