Fruitcake - Cake or Quick Bread?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel in dis Dress, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. Tags:

  2. On Tue 13 Dec 2005 03:05:08p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in dis
    Dress?

    > The subject says it all. I'm working on my fruitcake recipes in
    > MasterCook, and I'm not sure how to categorize the stuff. Any
    > opinions?
    >
    > Carol

    It's certainly not a quickbread, nor have I ever seen it listed as such in
    any cookbook. It is generally listed under cakes, subcategory, fruitcakes.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  3. On 14 Dec 2005 00:15:47 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue 13 Dec 2005 03:05:08p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in dis
    > Dress?
    >
    > > The subject says it all. I'm working on my fruitcake recipes in
    > > MasterCook, and I'm not sure how to categorize the stuff. Any
    > > opinions?
    > >
    > > Carol

    > It's certainly not a quickbread, nor have I ever seen it listed as such in
    > any cookbook. It is generally listed under cakes, subcategory, fruitcakes.

    Gotcha. Thanks!

    Carol
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

  4. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:05:08 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The subject says it all. I'm working on my fruitcake recipes in
    >MasterCook, and I'm not sure how to categorize the stuff. Any
    >opinions?
    >
    >Carol

    Why not set up a category for Christmas or Holiday foods. I have one
    for Thanksgiving since most of the things I cook then I may also do
    for Christmas but rarely any other time of year.
    --
    Susan N.

  5. On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:48:15 -0500, The Cook <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:05:08 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The subject says it all. I'm working on my fruitcake recipes in
    > >MasterCook, and I'm not sure how to categorize the stuff. Any
    > >opinions?
    > >
    > >Carol

    > Why not set up a category for Christmas or Holiday foods. I have one
    > for Thanksgiving since most of the things I cook then I may also do
    > for Christmas but rarely any other time of year.

    Thanks! I do have a Christmas category. I'll just stick with that
    for the fruitcakes. In the US, that's the only time most people make
    them.

    Carol
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The subject says it all. I'm working on my fruitcake recipes in
    > MasterCook, and I'm not sure how to categorize the stuff. Any
    > opinions?
    >
    > Carol

    Christmas. Dessert. Miscellaneous. Any or all. It's constructed more
    like a cake than a quick bread, IIR,
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-13-05 - RIP, Gerri

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The subject says it all. I'm working on my fruitcake recipes in
    > MasterCook, and I'm not sure how to categorize the stuff. Any
    > opinions?
    >
    > Carol

    In my experience (eating, not baking): Doorstop.

    :)

    Chris

  8. MoM

    MoM Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > The subject says it all. I'm working on my fruitcake
    > recipes in
    > MasterCook, and I'm not sure how to categorize the stuff.
    > Any
    > opinions?
    >
    > Carol
    > --

    Cake. A lot of fruit cakes are a pound cake base.

    MoM

  9. On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:38:29 +0000, "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Cake. A lot of fruit cakes are a pound cake base.

    I tell ya, the batter for this fruitcake is good enough to eat with a
    spoon, and forget about the fruit and the oven. It does seem to have
    all the components of a pound cake, but i'm not sure if the
    proportions are right.

    Carol
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos