Fruitcakes for Peace?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Yeff, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Yeff

    Yeff Guest

    <http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2004/03/04/2003101088>

    US fruitcakes take Afghanistan by storm, military says

    SPARTANBURG , SOUTH CAROLINA Thursday, Mar 04, 2004,Page 6

    Claxton fruitcakes have now contributed to world peace, or
    at least they've made Lieutenant Colonel Glenn Bramhall of
    Spartanburg a popular American in Afghanistan.

    Bramhall is commander of a unit of 300 soldiers from all
    branches of the military who are there to train and mentor
    the 3rd Brigade of the Afghan National Army.

    The Americans train the Afghans to use tanks and armored
    fighting vehicles.

    Bramhall left for Afghanistan before the height of fruitcake
    season in the South. So his mother-in-law mailed two Claxton
    fruitcakes to her son-in-law's compound outside of Kabul.

    The US commander shared his "Southern delicacy" during
    teatime with an Afghan general, who devoured it and demanded
    to know which "secret" bakery in Kabul baked the cakes,
    because his people had never had such a delicacy.

    Bramhall gave him his second cake and promised more.

    He called home and told his wife to please send more
    fruitcakes.

    It was January. Christmas was long gone. But his wife,
    Faith, went from grocery store to grocery store in
    search of more.

    "There just were no more fruitcakes in this town," she said.

    Then a Bi-Lo grocery store manager told her to check with
    the Civitans, who traditionally stock stores with Claxton
    fruitcakes to raise money for the service club. Faith
    called Sandy Sanders, a longtime Civitan, and asked for
    5kg of cakes.

    Then Sanders called to say he had been to the warehouse and
    could send at least 10kg.

    "Later, he called and said, `What about 25kg?'"

    He called again and upped it to 50kg.

    In the end, Sanders and the Civitans mailed 70kg of
    fruitcake -- or six cases -- to Bramhall in Afghanistan.

    "The delivery caused riots, fights," because everyone wanted
    some, Bramhall said.

    Bramhall has since e-mailed Claxton to let them know that
    their fruitcakes have been part of the "peace-keeping"
    effort in Afghanistan.

    Dale Parker, the vice president of Claxton Bakery Inc in
    Claxton, Georgia, said he got the e-mail and was surprised
    and pleased to see that the fruitcakes were contributing to
    his country's effort.

    "I bet he'd be a good fruitcake salesman. Maybe he could be
    our Afghanistan representative," Parker joked.

    -----

    -Jeff B. yeff at erols dot com

    Tags:

  2. Rmiller

    Rmiller Guest

    >Bramhall gave him his second cake and promised more.
    >
    >He called home and told his wife to please send more
    >fruitcakes.

    Left over from the War Between the States, no doubt.. Rosie

  3. "RMiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >Bramhall gave him his second cake and promised more.
    > >
    > >He called home and told his wife to please send more
    > >fruitcakes.
    > >
    > Left over from the War Between the States, no
    > doubt.. Rosie

    Question is, WHAT were they using the fruitcakes FOR?

    Felice

  4. Doug Miller

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Yeff <[email protected]> wrote:
    ><http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2004/03/04-
    >/2003101088>
    >
    >US fruitcakes take Afghanistan by storm, military says
    >
    >SPARTANBURG , SOUTH CAROLINA Thursday, Mar 04, 2004,Page 6
    >
    >Claxton fruitcakes have now contributed to world peace, or
    >at least they've made Lieutenant Colonel Glenn Bramhall of
    >Spartanburg a popular American in Afghanistan.

    And I figured, from the title of the post, that this would
    be about an anti-war group from San Francisco.