Frustrating

Doug

Guest
Haven't been able to ride lately. I lost one half of a SRAM quick link while
cleaning the bike. LBS doesn't stock them! So I order a few from Nashbar,
along with some cables. Requested 2nd day shipping last week and still
haven't seen them!

And its just starting to snow here. oh well. Thanks for letting me vent.

Doug

"Doug" wrote:

> Haven't been able to ride lately. I lost one half of a SRAM quick link while
> cleaning the bike.

You don't have a chain tool? Just pop out one of the links and run a
short chain for a few days. Avoid the big-big combination, and
you'll be fine. Or just buy a new SRAM chain and keep it as a spare,
chains are consumables after all.

Terry Morse wrote:
> "Doug" wrote:
>
>> Haven't been able to ride lately. I lost one half of a SRAM quick
>> link while cleaning the bike.

> You don't have a chain tool? Just pop out one of the links and run a
> short chain for a few days. Avoid the big-big combination, and
> you'll be fine. Or just buy a new SRAM chain and keep it as a spare,
> chains are consumables after all.

That's what I'd do, too -- but aren't the new chains "un-re-poppable"
nowadays? (Don't they warn against replacing pins like in the good ol'
days?)

Bill "no clue how the Shimano pins work" S.

"B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's what I'd do, too -- but aren't the new chains "un-re-poppable"
> nowadays? (Don't they warn against replacing pins like in the good ol'
> days?)

The SRAM chains are re-poppable. I avoid the Shimano chains, with
their odd mushroom shaped pins.

In article <YfRrd.9775$%R1.6447@trndny03>, "Doug" <[email protected]>
writes:

>Haven't been able to ride lately. I lost one half of a SRAM quick link while
>cleaning the bike. LBS doesn't stock them! So I order a few from Nashbar,
>along with some cables. Requested 2nd day shipping last week and still
>haven't seen them!

KMC quick links work on SRAM chains. I've been told they work on Shimano also.
Surely the LBS stocks some kind of quick links. Like others here post, you
should keep a backup chain anyway.
Bill

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:21:15 -0800, Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

> "B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> That's what I'd do, too -- but aren't the new chains "un-re-poppable"
>> nowadays? (Don't they warn against replacing pins like in the good ol'
>> days?)

> The SRAM chains are re-poppable. I avoid the Shimano chains, with
> their odd mushroom shaped pins.
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Yeah, and I have a chain link splitter that just plain won't work with
the older and wider chains so if a kid breaks a chain I can't help him
except for some determinatin/luck/ and a vice grips.

--
Bill (?) Baka

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:10:11 +0000 (UTC), Booker C. Bense
<[email protected]> wrote:

--
Bill (?) Baka

Ha! how foolish do I feel for not thinking of that! I did have to remove a
few links when I bought the chain, so they are removable. I think I know
what I'm doing tonight.

Live & Learn!

Foolishly,
Doug

news:[email protected]...

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:57:38 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:10:11 +0000 (UTC), Booker C. Bense
><[email protected]> wrote:

>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> The SRAM chains are re-poppable. I avoid the Shimano chains, with
>>> their odd mushroom shaped pins.

>> _ I'm pretty sure SRAM will tell you that this is a bad idea.
>> There is a risk of damaging the chain such that it snaps under
>> stress.

>I know sort of about this since I have a chain popper tool that won't fit
>the old school chains that are too wide. Does me a whole hell of a lot of
>good since I am fixing kids bikes most of the time. Even my 7 speed chain
>won't fit. I just carry a whole chain in my back pack abd hope I don't
>have to find out unless I am way uphill and can coast down to a store.

I don't want to muscle in on Carl's beat, consumer reporting at Walmart, but
they sell a chain tool for under $2 that works as well as any of the cheapos.

Ron

<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:
>>"B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> That's what I'd do, too -- but aren't the new chains "un-re-poppable"
>>> nowadays? (Don't they warn against replacing pins like in the good ol'
>>> days?)

>>The SRAM chains are re-poppable. I avoid the Shimano chains, with
>>their odd mushroom shaped pins.

>_ I'm pretty sure SRAM will tell you that this is a bad idea.
>There is a risk of damaging the chain such that it snaps under
>stress.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5xx45
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5vu93

Actually, if you go to the SRAM site and read the PowerLink FAQ
(http://tinyurl.com/5vu93) that your comment applies to certain chains
from certain years, only. The requirement that a PowerLink, only, be
used to connect a chain is only true for the PC-68 and PC-99 at this
time. The rest of the SRAM line can be reconnected just like in the
good old days.

- rick

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:43:57 GMT, RonSonic <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:57:38 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:10:11 +0000 (UTC), Booker C. Bense
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> _ I'm pretty sure SRAM will tell you that this is a bad idea.
>>> There is a risk of damaging the chain such that it snaps under
>>> stress.

>> I know sort of about this since I have a chain popper tool that won't
>> fit
>> the old school chains that are too wide. Does me a whole hell of a lot
>> of
>> good since I am fixing kids bikes most of the time. Even my 7 speed
>> chain
>> won't fit. I just carry a whole chain in my back pack abd hope I don't
>> have to find out unless I am way uphill and can coast down to a store.

> I don't want to muscle in on Carl's beat, consumer reporting at Walmart,
> but
> they sell a chain tool for under $2 that works as well as any of the
> cheapos.
>
> Ron

I think that is the tool I have. Kind of an odd gizmo with 3 slots,
apparently for different chains, and a turn screw to push things out
or in, but the old wide chains won't fit. It looks like you have to
have a newer skinny chain for it to be much use.
My 2 cents.

--
Bill (?) Baka

Bill Baka wrote:

> I think that is the tool I have. Kind of an odd gizmo with

3 slots,
> apparently for different chains, and a turn screw to push

things out
> or in, but the old wide chains won't fit. It looks like

you have to
> have a newer skinny chain for it to be much use.

That sounds doubtful, but I can see neither your tool nor
your chain.
These things can be a bit tricky to use until you get used
to them, and the instructions with the cheapies are
typically poorly translated.
There are very detailed instructions on the Park Tool site,
which might help.
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml

--
Mike Kruger
Too many people spend money they haven't earned

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 17:37:21 -0600, Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>>
>> I think that is the tool I have. Kind of an odd gizmo with

> 3 slots,
>> apparently for different chains, and a turn screw to push

> things out
>> or in, but the old wide chains won't fit. It looks like

> you have to
>> have a newer skinny chain for it to be much use.

> That sounds doubtful, but I can see neither your tool nor
> your chain.
> These things can be a bit tricky to use until you get used
> to them, and the instructions with the cheapies are
> typically poorly translated.
> There are very detailed instructions on the Park Tool site,
> which might help.
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml

OK, my tool is a Wal-Mart special made in China like everything
else these days. I don't think a scan is in order though.
My scanner is under a pile of computer boards right now.
I am building a few 386/486 specials for the kids that have none.
What instructions?? It wasn't a Park, though.

--
Bill (?) Baka

<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Bill Baka wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that is the tool I have. Kind of an odd gizmo

with
>> 3 slots,
>>> apparently for different chains, and a turn screw to

push
>> things out
>>> or in, but the old wide chains won't fit. It looks like

>> you have to
>>> have a newer skinny chain for it to be much use.

>> That sounds doubtful, but I can see neither your tool nor
>> your chain.
>> These things can be a bit tricky to use until you get

used
>> to them, and the instructions with the cheapies are
>> typically poorly translated.
>> There are very detailed instructions on the Park Tool

site,
>> which might help.
>> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml
>>

> OK, my tool is a Wal-Mart special made in China like

everything
> else these days. I don't think a scan is in order though.
> My scanner is under a pile of computer boards right now.
> I am building a few 386/486 specials for the kids that

have none.
> What instructions?? It wasn't a Park, though.

No, I wasn't asking to see the tool; no need to scan it.

Your tool probably looks a lot like one of the Park tool
models. You might take a look at their various models and
see if one of them looks like your cheapie.

I thought this information might help you figure out the
tool, which you note came with no instructions.

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:42:20 -0600, Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 17:37:21 -0600, Mike Kruger

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> with
>>> 3 slots,

> push
>>> things out
>>> you have to
>>>
>>> That sounds doubtful, but I can see neither your tool nor
>>> your chain.
>>> These things can be a bit tricky to use until you get

> used
>>> to them, and the instructions with the cheapies are
>>> typically poorly translated.
>>> There are very detailed instructions on the Park Tool

> site,
>>> which might help.
>>> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml
>>>

>> OK, my tool is a Wal-Mart special made in China like

> everything
>> else these days. I don't think a scan is in order though.
>> My scanner is under a pile of computer boards right now.
>> I am building a few 386/486 specials for the kids that

> have none.
>> What instructions?? It wasn't a Park, though.

> No, I wasn't asking to see the tool; no need to scan it.
>
> Your tool probably looks a lot like one of the Park tool
> models. You might take a look at their various models and
> see if one of them looks like your cheapie.
>
> I thought this information might help you figure out the
> tool, which you note came with no instructions.

I do have a really big hammer though, but it won't fit my back pack.

--
Bill (?) Baka