Frustration is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
> Hmmmm ... is Casper a member of the Vlaamse Blok? "Ik ben Vlaming en daar ben ik fier op", and
> all that?

'kay this was like *exactly* what i was trying to avoide, being accused for racist or anything. *I
AM 100% AGAINST THE VLAAMS BLOK ! ! !* i have numerous of black friends and they're cool guys in
lot's of cases. i excpicitly said "i'm not accusing only refuting statistics" i *saw* those
statistics. true, they where statistics for belgium but i guessed it couldn't be too much different
in belgium than in holland. on the other hand, "ik ben vlaming en ben er fier op (ik schaam me er
toch niet voor afin)", but that's not what vlaams blok is about, they say "eigen volk eerst" which
is completely different from being proud at being flemisch! just remember: i'm *not* a racist (i'm
anit-racism => was raised this way very strongly!) and i don't like to be accused for one. not gonna
start a fight, just telling this gentel and asking if you can understand. dude, this isn't 'bout
skateboarding anymore....

-casp

> > Hmmmm ... is Casper a member of the Vlaamse Blok? "Ik ben Vlaming en daar ben ik fier op", and
> > all that?
>
> No, I think Casper is a little too young to really understand the implications of what he said.

wtf? what implications? i just refuted some statistics we saw at school during religion!!!!!! sry if
i said *anything* wrong dammed. you can't blame
me. i was purely objectiv ('kay not on the people from the netherlands being cheap and stuff -
that's a tipical flemisch joke :-% ) btw: i'm a teenager, almost 16 - you should know kids of
these age hate it to be insulted for being to young or anything. that includes me. :)

> But if he really is a member of the Vlaams Blok, I think I will not speak to him again.

NO I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE VLAAMS BLOK ! ! ! I AM ANTI-VLAAMS BLOK GOT IT ?!?! i'm more the sp.a
kinda guy :-$

> People who think they can only be proud of their country when they have it filled with destructive
> people are not worth my while.

i wouldn't even understand how one can think that. that's such a whoreshit man. just so that we are
clear: i don't think that. i'm proud becoz belgium is small but in lot's of ways it goes big.

> I don't like conservative people anyway. They're all people who were progressive like anyone when
> they were young, but became shitty of the future and want to keep it like it is, even if they have
> to force people. I don't like people who try to force their fear of the future on me. That's why I
> don't like Bush, he's a perfect example of a man who is led by his fears.

what's that got to do with it? seriously, i didn't get it ...

*peace* -casp

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:16:35 +0200, Casper wrote:
>> Velo is actually the French
>
>well, un vélo is french, but the origine is latin. like *duh* it doesn't mean bike or anything,
>there weren't any bikes in ancient rome or whereever, but velo or an alike word in latin probably
>ment something that had something to do with a bike or riding one or whatever, which caused the
>word to be used to give the bike it's name.

Vélocipède means fast foot. http://www.pedalinghistory.com/PHbikbio.htm

> >> Velo is actually the French
> >
> >well, un vélo is french, but the origine is latin. like *duh* it doesn't mean bike or anything,
> >there weren't any bikes in ancient rome or
whereever,
> >but velo or an alike word in latin probably ment something that had something to do with a bike
> >or riding one or whatever, which caused the
word
> >to be used to give the bike it's name.
>
> Vélocipède means fast foot.

i did some asking around with friends of mine who study latin, and, damn i forgot the word again,
but it was something like velocitas which ment speed. studied latin myself two years, dropped it and
continued greek then. still dunno why. gonna drop that too next year and gonna do 'maths-sciences'
as direction at school.

-casp

> i did some asking around with friends of mine who study latin, and, damn i forgot the word again,
> but it was something like velocitas which ment speed. studied latin myself two years, dropped it
> and continued greek then. still dunno why. gonna drop that too next year and gonna do
> 'maths-sciences' as direction at school.
>

Casper - I'm glad to hear that you have started with some good Classical Education. If only more
people had, the world would be a far better place (imho!). Although I didn't and still don't really
like Latin, I can remember quite a lot, and it helps in many different places, as does Greek, which
I still quite like - that's Ancient Greek rather than the modern stuff.

Interestingly enough, I went the way of "maths-sciences" having dropped both Latin and Greek at
about your age!! As for Maths - people always complain "I'm never going to use any of this in the
the real world..." but trigonometry has been one of the most useful things I have ever learned: for
IT and graphics and working out how to draw things on the screen, to designing ramps and needing to
know angles and lengths and so on.

Hoo Yeah. Education rocks!!

AlexL

--
AlexL -- skating again. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alexander.lee/Skate.html

> > No, I think Casper is a little too young to really understand the implications of what he said.
>
> wtf? what implications? i just refuted some statistics we saw at school during religion!!!!!!

Never believe statistics. Numbers are really easy to make certain things clear, but they also make
you focus on just that which they make clear and make you forget about other possibilities.
Statistics are good, but *never* *ever* base conclusions on statistics alone, and *allway* be wary
of people who do that.

> you can't blame me. i was purely objectiv

No, you *thought* that you were objective. If you base your opinions on the opinions of other
people, be *damn* sure those people are objective, otherwise your opinions are as subjective as the
opinions of the people you based your's on. What if the statistics you read were made up by some
Vlaams Blok person? Allways question the source of the statistics (altijd de bron nagaan).

Maybe the statistics are right, and I even think they are :), but then there is still the universal
truth of: 'Any Person Willing To Give Up Freedom For Security Shall Have Neither'. That's a quote by
Benjamin Franklin. The Vlaams Blok people never heard of this quote and if they could, probably
don't understand it anyway. By the way, George Bush Jr. probably never heard of this quote either.

> btw: i'm a teenager, almost 16 - you should know kids of these age hate it to be insulted for
> being to young or anything. that includes me. :)

Oh, sorry, I thought you were about 13 :). Sorry, sorry, sorry, I don't know why I thought
that :))), probably because I also read the forums at www.sk8world.nl, and those are mostly 14
year olds :).

> what's that got to do with it? seriously, i didn't get it ...

Vlaams Blok people are conservative to the point that they don't accept anything that changes their
world. Foreigners change their world, and the conservatives don't have control over them, that's why
they hate foreigners. Conservative people are generally simple people for whom the world changes too
fast, they tend to panic and resort to drastic actions (wearing a gun, etc.). Another part of those
conservatives are simply control-freaks, who also are generally not the best example of humanity.

Let's drop the topic, ok? You didn't loose any respect in my eyes. Besides, even though you already
know a lot, you will still learn more and that will still mold your opinions in the future, so
there's allways a chance that you land on your feet :).

PeterV

"Casper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> 1) becoz of people from the netherlands or in general to cheap to by a
bike
> 2) becoz of the high level of foreign people how very often appear to end
up
> as criminals. i'm not accusing, only refuting statistics.

ENGLISH PLEASE .

> i did some asking around with friends of mine who study latin, and, damn i forgot the word again,
> but it was something like velocitas which ment speed. studied latin myself two years, dropped it
> and continued greek then. still dunno why. gonna drop that too next year and gonna do
> 'maths-sciences' as direction at school.
>

The adjective of "velocitas, -atis" is "velox, -ocis" which means "fast".

> > > your bike getting stolen is not becoz of the people there think it's
> public
> > > property, it's
> > > 1) becoz of people from the netherlands or in general to cheap to by a
> bike
> > > 2) becoz of the high level of foreign people how very often appear to end
> up
> > > as criminals. i'm not accusing, only refuting statistics.
>
>
> Hmmmm ... is Casper a member of the Vlaamse Blok? "Ik ben Vlaming en daar ben ik fier op", and
> all that?

What's wrong with that sentence ("I'm Flemish and I'm proud about that"). This is not a sentence
that is owned by the Vlaams Blok. You often hear Americans say they're proud to be a US citizen. I
don't see what's racist about that. So I don't understand why you use this sentence to accuse
someone of being racist. To back up this second point about foreign people: you just have to open
the daily newspaper here and you'll see that about half of the crimes are committed by foreigners,
though they are only a small minority of the population in Belgium. What's wrong with saying that?
It's just a fact. You're a racist when you say all the foreigners are thiefs and bad people and they
have to get out of this country. But just giving a statistical fact doesn't imply this racist
thought about foreigners.

> > > your bike getting stolen is not becoz of the people there think it's
> public
> > > property, it's
> > > 1) becoz of people from the netherlands or in general to cheap to by a
> bike
> > > 2) becoz of the high level of foreign people how very often appear to end
> up
> > > as criminals. i'm not accusing, only refuting statistics.
>
>
> all that?

What's wrong with that sentence ("I'm Flemish and I'm proud about that"). This is not a sentence
that is owned by the Vlaams Blok. You often hear Americans say they're proud to be a US citizen. I
don't see what's racist about that. So I don't understand why you use this sentence to accuse
someone of being racist. To back up this second point about foreign people: you just have to open
the daily newspaper here and you'll see that about half of the crimes are committed by foreigners,
though they are only a small minority of the population in Belgium. What's wrong with saying that?
It's just a fact. You're a racist when you say all the foreigners are thiefs and bad people and they
have to get out of this country. But just giving a statistical fact doesn't imply this racist
thought about foreigners.

jongens, houdt jullie gezeik in het skate-forum a.u.b.

news:[email protected]...
> > Hmmmm ... is Casper a member of the Vlaamse Blok? "Ik ben Vlaming en daar ben ik fier op", and
> > all that?
>
> 'kay this was like *exactly* what i was trying to avoide, being accused
for
> racist or anything. *I AM 100% AGAINST THE VLAAMS BLOK ! ! !* i have numerous of black friends and
> they're cool guys in lot's of cases. i excpicitly said "i'm not accusing only refuting statistics"
> i *saw* those statistics. true, they where statistics for belgium but i guessed it couldn't be too
> much different in belgium than in holland. on the other hand, "ik ben vlaming en ben er fier op
> (ik schaam me er toch niet voor afin)", but that's not what vlaams blok is about, they say
"eigen
> volk eerst" which is completely different from being proud at being flemisch! just remember: i'm
> *not* a racist (i'm anit-racism => was raised this way very strongly!) and i don't like to be
> accused for one. not gonna start a fight, just telling this gentel and asking if you can
> understand. dude, this isn't 'bout skateboarding anymore....
>
> -casp

> > 1) becoz of people from the netherlands or in general to cheap to by a
> bike
> > 2) becoz of the high level of foreign people how very often appear to
end
> up
> > as criminals. i'm not accusing, only refuting statistics.
>
> ENGLISH PLEASE .

if that aint english, wtf is it the??? dude, is this all you can/got to say? what a waste of time...

-casp

FWIW ... I didn't really think that Casper was a member of the Vlaams Blok ... that was just a
little dig to get a reaction.

I'm surprised that neither of you (Peter or Casper) wondered how an American like me even knew about
the Vlaams Blok.

And you'll get no argument from me about his royal Shrub-ness. I'm looking forward to a "regime
change" in the US after the 2004 elections.

In article <[email protected]>, "Peter de Vroomen"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > > No, I think Casper is a little too young to really understand the implications of what he
> > > said.
> >
> > wtf? what implications? i just refuted some statistics we saw at school during religion!!!!!!
>
> Never believe statistics. Numbers are really easy to make certain things clear, but they also make
> you focus on just that which they make clear and make you forget about other possibilities.
> Statistics are good, but *never* *ever* base conclusions on statistics alone, and *allway* be wary
> of people who do that.
>
> > you can't blame me. i was purely objectiv
>
> No, you *thought* that you were objective. If you base your opinions on the opinions of other
> people, be *damn* sure those people are objective, otherwise your opinions are as subjective as
> the opinions of the people you based your's on. What if the statistics you read were made up by
> some Vlaams Blok person? Allways question the source of the statistics (altijd de bron nagaan).
>
> Maybe the statistics are right, and I even think they are :), but then there is still the
> universal truth of: 'Any Person Willing To Give Up Freedom For Security Shall Have Neither'.
> That's a quote by Benjamin Franklin. The Vlaams Blok people never heard of this quote and if they
> could, probably don't understand it anyway. By the way, George Bush Jr. probably never heard of
> this quote either.
>
> > btw: i'm a teenager, almost 16 - you should know kids of these age hate it to be insulted for
> > being to young or anything. that includes me. :)
>
> Oh, sorry, I thought you were about 13 :). Sorry, sorry, sorry, I don't know why I thought that
> :))), probably because I also read the forums at www.sk8world.nl, and those are mostly 14 year
> olds :).
>
> > what's that got to do with it? seriously, i didn't get it ...
>
> Vlaams Blok people are conservative to the point that they don't accept anything that changes
> their world. Foreigners change their world, and the conservatives don't have control over them,
> that's why they hate foreigners. Conservative people are generally simple people for whom the
> world changes too fast, they tend to panic and resort to drastic actions (wearing a gun, etc.).
> Another part of those conservatives are simply control-freaks, who also are generally not the best
> example of humanity.
>
> Let's drop the topic, ok? You didn't loose any respect in my eyes. Besides, even though you
> already know a lot, you will still learn more and that will still mold your opinions in the
> future, so there's allways a chance that you land on your feet :).
>
> PeterV
>
>

--
Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum
pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

> > > No, I think Casper is a little too young to really understand the implications of what he
> > > said.
> >
> > wtf? what implications? i just refuted some statistics we saw at school during religion!!!!!!
>
> Never believe statistics. Numbers are really easy to make certain things clear, but they also make
> you focus on just that which they make clear and make you forget about other possibilities.
> Statistics are good, but
*never*
> *ever* base conclusions on statistics alone, and *allway* be wary of
people
> who do that.

i'll remember that. yet another thing learned today :)

> > you can't blame me. i was purely objectiv

> No, you *thought* that you were objective.

so? even then you can't blame me...

> Let's drop the topic, ok?

pleazzzz!

> You didn't loose any respect in my eyes. Besides, even though you already know a lot, you will
> still learn more and that
will
> still mold your opinions in the future, so there's allways a chance that
you
> land on your feet :).

this is a good quote to end this topic then. you're a cool guy peter. keep it up :)

-casp

> I'm surprised that neither of you (Peter or Casper) wondered how an American like me even knew
> about the Vlaams Blok.

LOL, I did wonder, but I didn't have the time to react to anyone (I'm at work :)). I thought your
remark on the spot, and I wanted to reply to Casper more than to you :).

So, how *did* you know?

PeterV

> > You didn't loose any respect in my eyes. Besides, even though you already know a lot, you will
> > still learn more and that
> will
> > still mold your opinions in the future, so there's allways a chance that
> you
> > land on your feet :).
>
> this is a good quote to end this topic then. you're a cool guy peter. keep it up :)

Yeah, I sometimes wonder why I'm afraid to become a dad (I'm not implying that I'm about to become a
dad, but I know it scares me :)). I think I would make a perfect dad. Or maybe not and I would
confuse my kids untill they'd go nuts :))).

PeterV

> What's wrong with that sentence ("I'm Flemish and I'm proud about that"). This is not a sentence
> that is owned by the Vlaams Blok. You often hear Americans say they're proud to be a US citizen. I
> don't see what's racist about that. So I don't understand why you use this sentence to accuse
> someone of being racist.

Well, just because you don't see what's racist about that sentence, doesn't mean that it's not the
sentence that is spoken most by racist people.

> But just giving a statistical fact doesn't imply this racist thought about foreigners.

That's why I wrote all the stuff about that statistical facts don't mean anything if you don't know
(or name) the source and what that source wants to achieve with them. Statistical facts are
meaningless without their context.

Just giving a statistical fact also doesn't imply that it is *NOT* meant in a racist way.
Statistical facts can be interpreted in all sorts of ways. That's why they are so dangerous.

PeterV

> > What's wrong with that sentence ("I'm Flemish and I'm proud about that"). This is not a sentence
> > that is owned by the Vlaams Blok. You often hear Americans say they're proud to be a US citizen.
> > I don't see what's racist about that. So I don't understand why you use this sentence to accuse
> > someone of being racist.
>
> Well, just because you don't see what's racist about that sentence,
doesn't
> mean that it's not the sentence that is spoken most by racist people.

Peter, i've learned you're a very intellegent guy, but really, i must disagree with you. i don't
think (which means it's just my opinion!!!) that "I'm Flemish and 'im proud about that" is a racist
sentence at all. and i also don't think racist people mostly say that. it would be more "I'm glad
i'm not turkey or anything", they just hate (maybe a pretty big word - but still) f.e. black people
or anything. i don't think this would make them extra-patriottic or so. perhaps it does so tho.

> > But just giving a statistical fact doesn't imply this racist thought about foreigners.
>
> That's why I wrote all the stuff about that statistical facts don't mean anything if you don't
> know (or name) the source and what that source wants to achieve with them. Statistical facts are
> meaningless without their context.

so, let them be meaningless then, that doesn't mean i can't give this statistics then he? (yes i
know, you didn't said i couldn't give them, but people implied this ment i'm a racist or a vlaams
blok member. *that* is why i got ******. becoz that's 1) not true 2) a completly wrong conclusion.

> Just giving a statistical fact also doesn't imply that it is *NOT* meant
in
> a racist way. Statistical facts can be interpreted in all sorts of ways. That's why they are so
> dangerous.

this is defenetly the last time i yse statistical fact for anything anywhere. yeah i know, i keep on
respondig posts. i just need to have spoken the last, which is not good. but i'm proud at myself
that i can at least realise and understand that. blablabla.

-casp

> I'm surprised that neither of you (Peter or Casper) wondered how an American like me even knew
> about the Vlaams Blok.

well, i just thought you where flemish or so. i don't ask myself to much questions you see, it keeps
me relaxed, free from stress, happy :)

so how comes you know about the Vlaams Blok, anyways?

-casp

news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm surprised that neither of you (Peter or Casper) wondered how an American like me even knew
> > about the Vlaams Blok.
>
> well, i just thought you where flemish or so. i don't ask myself to much questions you see, it
> keeps me relaxed, free from stress, happy :)
>
> so how comes you know about the Vlaams Blok, anyways?

Be careful of Steven, he bites and snarls. I have a cat like that. Then he wants me to pet him
and feed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.