FS: 531c Racer

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ben Freeman, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Ben Freeman

    Ben Freeman Guest

    For Sale:

    Reynolds 531c custom built racer with 2 sets of wheels (700c). Good quality components. On sale due
    to recent purchase of another bike.

    £200 ukp ono

    Central Cambridge.

    For full details see www.ben.freeman.net

    NB If you are interested please reply using the email address on the website - my hotmail address is
    totally SPAM overloaded & Google won't let me post with a NOSPAM inserted in the address :-(

    Ben

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For Sale:
    >
    > Reynolds 531c custom built racer with 2 sets of wheels (700c). Good quality components. On sale
    > due to recent purchase of another bike.
    >
    > £200 ukp ono
    >
    > Central Cambridge.
    >
    > For full details see www.ben.freeman.net
    >
    > NB If you are interested please reply using the email address on the website - my hotmail address
    > is totally SPAM overloaded & Google won't let me post with a NOSPAM inserted in the address :-(
    >
    > Ben

    Size, age, name of components, colour and condition?

  3. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Smudger deftly scribbled:

    > "Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> For Sale:
    >>
    >> Reynolds 531c custom built racer with 2 sets of wheels (700c). Good quality components. On sale
    >> due to recent purchase of another bike.
    >>
    >> £200 ukp ono
    >>
    >> Central Cambridge.
    >>
    >> For full details see www.ben.freeman.net
    >>
    >> NB If you are interested please reply using the email address on the website - my hotmail
    >> address is totally SPAM overloaded & Google won't let me post with a NOSPAM inserted in the
    >> address :-(
    >>
    >> Ben
    >
    > Size, age, name of components, colour and condition?

    HINT .. see his website .. click the URL in his post .. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1401 wu in 10052 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ http://graffiti.virgin.net/ar.sole/Index.htm

  4. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  5. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Alex Graham deftly scribbled:

    > Paul - xxx wrote:
    >
    >> HINT .. see his website .. click the URL in his post .. ;)
    >
    > Still doesnt state the age! Or the size as we know it!

    Agreed about the age, but it does give a seat tube length .. and the pic looks to me like it's a 23
    1/2" frame (maybe) .. which isn't a great guide really .. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1401 wu in 10052 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ http://graffiti.virgin.net/ar.sole/Index.htm

  6. Ben Freeman

    Ben Freeman Guest

    Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Paul - xxx wrote:
    >
    > > HINT .. see his website .. click the URL in his post .. ;)
    >
    > Still doesnt state the age! Or the size as we know it!

    The age is approx 13 years, of which in last 10 its been ridden about 5 times. I wasn't aware that
    people were that bothered about age - rather the condition. I was keeping it because it seemed a
    shame to get rid of it, but I know have run out of space having bought yet another bike.

    The down tube length is on the web site. I forgot to measure the crank length.

    Ben

  7. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Paul - xxx wrote:
    > >
    > > > HINT .. see his website .. click the URL in his post .. ;)
    > >
    > > Still doesnt state the age! Or the size as we know it!
    > >

    > The age is approx 13 years, of which in last 10 its been ridden about 5 times. I wasn't aware that
    > people were that bothered about age - rather the condition. I was keeping it because it seemed a
    > shame to get rid of it, but I know have run out of space having bought yet another bike.
    >
    > The down tube length is on the web site. I forgot to measure the crank length.

    fwiw I reckon about 60 quid is a decent price for this bike. Sorry, 200 is well over the odds.

    cheers, clive

  8. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Still doesnt state the age! Or the size as we know it!
    > > >

    > > The age is approx 13 years, of which in last 10 its been ridden about 5 times. I wasn't
    > > aware that people were that bothered about age - rather the condition. I was keeping it
    > > because it seemed a shame to get rid of it, but I know have run out of space having bought
    > > yet another bike.
    > >
    > > The down tube length is on the web site. I forgot to measure the crank length.
    >
    > fwiw I reckon about 60 quid is a decent price for this bike. Sorry, 200 is well over the odds.
    >
    > cheers, clive

    Maybe but it's going to need a lot of upgrading so it's probably not a viable buy at that even.
    Shame because it looks good (although what could be lurking inside the tubes - ridden five times in
    ten years - possbily not maintained until now).

  9. Ben Freeman

    Ben Freeman Guest

    > Maybe but it's going to need a lot of upgrading so it's probably not a viable buy at that even.
    > Shame because it looks good (although what could be lurking inside the tubes - ridden five times
    > in ten years - possbily not maintained until now).

    I'm curious as to why it would need a lot of upgrading?

    Yes the Shimano 600 Ultegra groupset is 13 years old, but the gear shifts are still slick and as
    long the parts are oiled (which they are) they don't rust so the deteriation is fairly minimal. I
    put new tyres & a saddle on it a couple of years ago and but always ended up riding my other bikes -
    so it makes more sense to sell it. (Although part of me is tempted to keep it and get the frame
    re-sprayed in a brighter colour - just because I think it would look superb.)

    I had thought it would appeal to someone wanting a winter trainer i.e. a reasonable bike but not
    Dura-Ace specced as it would be ridden in winter months when the roads are salted.

    Anyway if no-one is interested I'll either re-spray it or auction it on ebay out of curiosity to see
    what its worth, although packing it up to post it will be a pain :-<

  10. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Ben Freeman <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I had thought it would appeal to someone wanting a winter trainer i.e. a reasonable bike but not
    : Dura-Ace specced as it would be ridden in winter months when the roads are salted.

    It would - it'd make a nice bike for that and would go to a good home. Just, if you get 200 quid for
    it, congratulations.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  11. Jumpzkid

    Jumpzkid Guest

    > equivalent in weight and frame flex to a modern Aluminium Racer e.g. Cannondale 500.

    uh ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ... ha ha ha. JumpZkid
    --
    The opinions expressed are those of the JUMPHUNTER!!!!!!!!!!

  12. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    Jumpzkid <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> equivalent in weight and frame flex to a modern Aluminium Racer e.g. Cannondale 500.
    >
    > uh ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ... ha ha ha. JumpZkid
    Blimey ... half term already?

    Simon
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "You'd never guess the things
    that I do, I've had the Devil round for tea ..."

  13. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Maybe but it's going to need a lot of upgrading so it's probably not a viable buy at that even.
    > > Shame because it looks good (although what
    could
    > > be lurking inside the tubes - ridden five times in ten years - possbily
    not
    > > maintained until now).
    >
    > I'm curious as to why it would need a lot of upgrading?
    >
    > Yes the Shimano 600 Ultegra groupset is 13 years old, but the gear shifts are still slick and as
    > long the parts are oiled (which they are) they don't rust so the deteriation is fairly minimal. I
    > put new tyres & a saddle on it a couple of years ago and but always ended up riding my other bikes
    > - so it makes more sense to sell it. (Although part of me is tempted to keep it and get the frame
    > re-sprayed in a brighter colour - just because I think it would look superb.)
    >
    > I had thought it would appeal to someone wanting a winter trainer i.e. a reasonable bike but not
    > Dura-Ace specced as it would be ridden in winter months when the roads are salted.
    >
    > Anyway if no-one is interested I'll either re-spray it or auction it on ebay out of curiosity to
    > see what its worth, although packing it up to post it will be a pain :-<

    Try it in the back of Cycling Plus first. It's free and I've sold a few bike bits throught there.

  14. Ben Freeman

    Ben Freeman Guest

    Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jumpzkid <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> equivalent in weight and frame flex to a modern Aluminium Racer e.g. Cannondale 500.
    > >
    > > uh ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ... ha ha ha. JumpZkid
    > Blimey ... half term already?

    Could be - or the local zoo is doing day release.

    But on a more serious note I weighed them both (a friend has an R500) and measured bottom bracket
    deflection and there was bugger all in it
    - which surprised me as I had expected a modern bike to be signifcantly lighter. I guess the
    Cannondale Frame is lighter, but the group set & components are heavier e.g.

    Front wheel cannondale R500 inc tyre & tube - 1.28 kg Front wheel 13 year old road bike inc tyre &
    tube - 1.12 kg

    Also, in defence of old bikes: I recently bought some Pace carbon fibre rigid forks to upgrade a '93
    Marin Rocky Ridge for pure road use and thought I'd save about 500 grammes. I was amazed to find
    that the 10 year old Marin Cro-Moly forks weighed only 800 grammes whereas state of the art Carbon
    Fibre forks are 665 grammes i.e. in terms of weight, bike technology hasn't progressed half as much
    as I expected - or Marin made exceptionally light mountain bike frames & forks in '93.

    Ben