FS: 531c Racer

Ben Freeman

Guest
For Sale:

Reynolds 531c custom built racer with 2 sets of wheels (700c). Good quality components. On sale due
to recent purchase of another bike.

£200 ukp ono

Central Cambridge.

For full details see www.ben.freeman.net

NB If you are interested please reply using the email address on the website - my hotmail address is
totally SPAM overloaded & Google won't let me post with a NOSPAM inserted in the address :-(

Ben

"Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For Sale:
>
> Reynolds 531c custom built racer with 2 sets of wheels (700c). Good quality components. On sale
> due to recent purchase of another bike.
>
> £200 ukp ono
>
> Central Cambridge.
>
> For full details see www.ben.freeman.net
>
> NB If you are interested please reply using the email address on the website - my hotmail address
> is totally SPAM overloaded & Google won't let me post with a NOSPAM inserted in the address :-(
>
> Ben

Size, age, name of components, colour and condition?

Smudger deftly scribbled:

> "Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> For Sale:
>>
>> Reynolds 531c custom built racer with 2 sets of wheels (700c). Good quality components. On sale
>> due to recent purchase of another bike.
>>
>> £200 ukp ono
>>
>> Central Cambridge.
>>
>> For full details see www.ben.freeman.net
>>
>> NB If you are interested please reply using the email address on the website - my hotmail
>> address is totally SPAM overloaded & Google won't let me post with a NOSPAM inserted in the
>> address :-(
>>
>> Ben
>
> Size, age, name of components, colour and condition?

HINT .. see his website .. click the URL in his post .. ;)

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1401 wu in 10052 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ http://graffiti.virgin.net/ar.sole/Index.htm

Alex Graham deftly scribbled:

> Paul - *** wrote:
>
>> HINT .. see his website .. click the URL in his post .. ;)
>
> Still doesnt state the age! Or the size as we know it!

Agreed about the age, but it does give a seat tube length .. and the pic looks to me like it's a 23
1/2" frame (maybe) .. which isn't a great guide really .. ;)

--

Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Paul - *** wrote:
>
> > HINT .. see his website .. click the URL in his post .. ;)
>
> Still doesnt state the age! Or the size as we know it!

The age is approx 13 years, of which in last 10 its been ridden about 5 times. I wasn't aware that
people were that bothered about age - rather the condition. I was keeping it because it seemed a
shame to get rid of it, but I know have run out of space having bought yet another bike.

The down tube length is on the web site. I forgot to measure the crank length.

Ben

"Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Paul - *** wrote:
> >
> > > HINT .. see his website .. click the URL in his post .. ;)
> >
> > Still doesnt state the age! Or the size as we know it!
> >

> The age is approx 13 years, of which in last 10 its been ridden about 5 times. I wasn't aware that
> people were that bothered about age - rather the condition. I was keeping it because it seemed a
> shame to get rid of it, but I know have run out of space having bought yet another bike.
>
> The down tube length is on the web site. I forgot to measure the crank length.

fwiw I reckon about 60 quid is a decent price for this bike. Sorry, 200 is well over the odds.

cheers, clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > > Still doesnt state the age! Or the size as we know it!
> > >

> > The age is approx 13 years, of which in last 10 its been ridden about 5 times. I wasn't
> > aware that people were that bothered about age - rather the condition. I was keeping it
> > because it seemed a shame to get rid of it, but I know have run out of space having bought
> > yet another bike.
> >
> > The down tube length is on the web site. I forgot to measure the crank length.
>
> fwiw I reckon about 60 quid is a decent price for this bike. Sorry, 200 is well over the odds.
>
> cheers, clive

Maybe but it's going to need a lot of upgrading so it's probably not a viable buy at that even.
Shame because it looks good (although what could be lurking inside the tubes - ridden five times in
ten years - possbily not maintained until now).

> Maybe but it's going to need a lot of upgrading so it's probably not a viable buy at that even.
> Shame because it looks good (although what could be lurking inside the tubes - ridden five times
> in ten years - possbily not maintained until now).

I'm curious as to why it would need a lot of upgrading?

Yes the Shimano 600 Ultegra groupset is 13 years old, but the gear shifts are still slick and as
long the parts are oiled (which they are) they don't rust so the deteriation is fairly minimal. I
put new tyres & a saddle on it a couple of years ago and but always ended up riding my other bikes -
so it makes more sense to sell it. (Although part of me is tempted to keep it and get the frame
re-sprayed in a brighter colour - just because I think it would look superb.)

I had thought it would appeal to someone wanting a winter trainer i.e. a reasonable bike but not
Dura-Ace specced as it would be ridden in winter months when the roads are salted.

Anyway if no-one is interested I'll either re-spray it or auction it on ebay out of curiosity to see
what its worth, although packing it up to post it will be a pain :-<

Ben Freeman <[email protected]> wrote:

: I had thought it would appeal to someone wanting a winter trainer i.e. a reasonable bike but not
: Dura-Ace specced as it would be ridden in winter months when the roads are salted.

It would - it'd make a nice bike for that and would go to a good home. Just, if you get 200 quid for
it, congratulations.

Arthur

Lord Lester

> equivalent in weight and frame flex to a modern Aluminium Racer e.g. Cannondale 500.

uh ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ... ha ha ha. JumpZkid
--
The opinions expressed are those of the JUMPHUNTER!!!!!!!!!!

Jumpzkid <[email protected]> wrote:
>> equivalent in weight and frame flex to a modern Aluminium Racer e.g. Cannondale 500.
>
> uh ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ... ha ha ha. JumpZkid
Blimey ... half term already?

Simon
--
Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "You'd never guess the things
that I do, I've had the Devil round for tea ..."

"Ben Freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Maybe but it's going to need a lot of upgrading so it's probably not a viable buy at that even.
> > Shame because it looks good (although what
could
> > be lurking inside the tubes - ridden five times in ten years - possbily
not
> > maintained until now).
>
> I'm curious as to why it would need a lot of upgrading?
>
> Yes the Shimano 600 Ultegra groupset is 13 years old, but the gear shifts are still slick and as
> long the parts are oiled (which they are) they don't rust so the deteriation is fairly minimal. I
> put new tyres & a saddle on it a couple of years ago and but always ended up riding my other bikes
> - so it makes more sense to sell it. (Although part of me is tempted to keep it and get the frame
> re-sprayed in a brighter colour - just because I think it would look superb.)
>
> I had thought it would appeal to someone wanting a winter trainer i.e. a reasonable bike but not
> Dura-Ace specced as it would be ridden in winter months when the roads are salted.
>
> Anyway if no-one is interested I'll either re-spray it or auction it on ebay out of curiosity to
> see what its worth, although packing it up to post it will be a pain :-<

Try it in the back of Cycling Plus first. It's free and I've sold a few bike bits throught there.

Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Jumpzkid <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> equivalent in weight and frame flex to a modern Aluminium Racer e.g. Cannondale 500.
> >
> > uh ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ... ha ha ha. JumpZkid
> Blimey ... half term already?

Could be - or the local zoo is doing day release.

But on a more serious note I weighed them both (a friend has an R500) and measured bottom bracket
deflection and there was bugger all in it
- which surprised me as I had expected a modern bike to be signifcantly lighter. I guess the
Cannondale Frame is lighter, but the group set & components are heavier e.g.

Front wheel cannondale R500 inc tyre & tube - 1.28 kg Front wheel 13 year old road bike inc tyre &
tube - 1.12 kg

Also, in defence of old bikes: I recently bought some Pace carbon fibre rigid forks to upgrade a '93
Marin Rocky Ridge for pure road use and thought I'd save about 500 grammes. I was amazed to find
that the 10 year old Marin Cro-Moly forks weighed only 800 grammes whereas state of the art Carbon
Fibre forks are 665 grammes i.e. in terms of weight, bike technology hasn't progressed half as much
as I expected - or Marin made exceptionally light mountain bike frames & forks in '93.

Ben