FS: 63cm Italian road/touring frame, 1980's, BEAUTIFUL!!

ccrider

Apr 1, 2003
Hello everyone,
I have here a nice old early 1980's Italian made road/touring frame for sale. I've had this frame for a few years and finally built it up recently. It rides great, very stable and ready for a long haul, but alas... it's too big for me. So I need to let her go.

I've been told these frames were imported by Palo Alto Bicycles back in the early 1980's. It has 'BMZ' stamped on the BB which I was told means Biemmezeta, a smaller Italian builder during that period. This frame is probably from about 1984. It has very nice details on the fork crown and seat stay caps.

(PICTURES AT THE LINK BELOW)

This frame is in EXCELLENT condition. Very few marks. The chrome is perfect and the metallic rose paint has a faded a bit into a pretty rosette tone. The guy who had this frame before me had it in storage for a few years aswell, he had the same problem: he loved the frame but he was too short. I'm taller than him so thats why i bought it, but I think I should be riding a 61cm.

The only thing not perfect is the headset. It's a Campy Nuovo Record. It looks beautiful, but the lower race had a few tiny indents in it so, when I rebuilt it I had a mechanic take off the race, rotate it 45 degrees, and repacked it with new bearings and fresh grease. It seems fine now. I could not find a 'retro' replacement headset (all the current 1" threaded headsets look too 'modern' for this frame and I couldn't even find a Tange Levin or similar to use) so I kept the Campy one on it.

Strong Columbus SP tubing. Size is 63cm (measured c-c). 59.5cm c-c top tube. Very long 44.5cm chainstays, with long style Campy rear dropouts. Front dropouts are Campy as well. Braze-ons at dropouts for fenders, and rack braze-ons on the seat stays. 126mm rear axle spacing. BB is 70mm Italian threaded ofcourse. Seat tube takes a 27.2mm post. This frame also takes a clamp-on shifter mount. I have 2 beautiful Campy clamp-on shifter mounts that are available to the buyer at an additional cost.

Go here for more pictures:

http://ccrider.nebraska.edu/mybikes/red63cm/red63cm.html

Since the photos were taken I've put new/NOS Campy long axle adjusting screws on the rear dropouts (the ones with the black thumb knobs).

Can anyone use this frame? It would make a great touring rig, or fixed gear machine. I'm asking $300 (that includes shipping via UPS in the continental US). Can't afford a Rivendell? Buy this instead and be assured you'll have a frame few others on your next century or tour will have.

Ok, any more questions please email me at: [email protected]

Oops, one detail I forgot to list. The frame takes LONG reach nutted mounted brakes. I have a set of NOS Dia-Compe 400 long reach brakes for additional cost.

Any questions email me: [email protected]

Thanks for looking!

Conrad