FS Assorted mtb type stuff

Mark Thompson

Guest
Stupidly I gave my email addy to a student cycling clubby thing one
freshers' fair, and since then have been bombarded with emails. One of
tehm mentioned raising money for a generator to take to events and power
lights, pressure washer etc. They've scraped together a few bits (incl a
couple of frames) to raise a bit of cash. Take a look if you've had
anything nicked from your bike recently.

<URL:http://search.ebay.co.uk/
_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZleQ2dtriggerQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1>

Stand by for another auction when they realise they'll need to buy
something for the generator to run.

If somebody here is from that club tell me who I have to throttle to get
the emails stopped.

Mark.

> One of tehm [...]

I am Ian Smith and I claim my five pounds.

On 21 Oct 2004 22:39:15 GMT, Mark Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote:

><URL:http://search.ebay.co.uk/
>_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZleQ2dtriggerQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1>
>
>Stand by for another auction when they realise they'll need to buy
>something for the generator to run.

url borked
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

In news:[email protected],
Martin Bulmer <[email protected]> wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 21 Oct 2004 22:39:15 GMT, Mark Thompson
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> <URL:http://search.ebay.co.uk/
>>> _W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZleQ2dtriggerQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1>
>>>
>>> Stand by for another auction when they realise they'll need to buy
>>> something for the generator to run.

>> url borked

> you need to get it all on one line, with no gaps.
> or use http://tinyurl.co.uk/q70x

OK, so that doesn't work either. I got there by doing copy & paste on the
long, 2-line url into notepad, removing a gap, then copy & paste into IE
--

Martin Bulmer

in message <[email protected]>, Call me Bob
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2004 22:39:15 GMT, Mark Thompson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>><URL:http://search.ebay.co.uk/
>>_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZleQ2dtriggerQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1>
>>
>>Stand by for another auction when they realise they'll need to buy
>>something for the generator to run.

> url borked

Strictly, your software borked. There's nothing wrong with the URL as
given; it's in the correct format as described in RFC1738 in which the
URL is defined. The RFC says

<quote cite="RFC1738">
In addition, there are many occasions when URLs are included in other
kinds of text; examples include electronic mail, USENET news
messages, or printed on paper. In such cases, it is convenient to
have a separate syntactic wrapper that delimits the URL and separates
it from the rest of the text, and in particular from punctuation
marks that might be mistaken for part of the URL. For this purpose,
is recommended that angle brackets ("<" and ">"), along with the
prefix "URL:", be used to delimit the boundaries of the URL. This
wrapper does not form part of the URL and should not be used in
contexts in which delimiters are already specified.

In some cases, extra whitespace (spaces, linebreaks, tabs, etc.) may
need to be added to break long URLs across lines. The whitespace
should be ignored when extracting the URL.
</quote>

If your software does not conform to the spec, it isn't the spec that's
at fault. Fix your software.

;; this is not a .sig

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:08:36 +0100, "Martin Bulmer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> url borked

>> you need to get it all on one line, with no gaps.
>> or use http://tinyurl.co.uk/q70x

>OK, so that doesn't work either. I got there by doing copy & paste on the
>long, 2-line url into notepad, removing a gap, then copy & paste into IE

Got it, thanks. Agent tends to be pretty well behaved about these
things, and when a url is split across a couple of lines I always
rebuild manually without problem. What threw me this time was the ebay
url didn't look like one I'd noticed before, I didn't realize the
gubbins below was part of the original. Silly me, and thanks.
--

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Call me Bob
> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>On 21 Oct 2004 22:39:15 GMT, Mark Thompson
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>><URL:http://search.ebay.co.uk/
>>>_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZleQ2dtriggerQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1>
>>>
>>>Stand by for another auction when they realise they'll need to buy
>>>something for the generator to run.

>>url borked

> Strictly, your software borked. There's nothing wrong with the URL as
> given; it's in the correct format as described in RFC1738 in which the
> URL is defined. The RFC says

<snip>

> If your software does not conform to the spec, it isn't the spec that's
> at fault. Fix your software.

Mmm software borked, well in that case OE is borked and Mozilla is
too, as that URL doesn't work in either of them suspect there is a
line return in the middle of that URL (between .uk/ and _WOQQ )

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:31:01 GMT, Donovan's brain <[email protected]> wrote:

>Simon Brooke wrote:
>> If your software does not conform to the spec, it isn't the spec that's
>> at fault. Fix your software.

>Mmm software borked, well in that case OE is borked and Mozilla is
>too, as that URL doesn't work in either of them suspect there is a
>line return in the middle of that URL (between .uk/ and _WOQQ )

Agent, too.
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

> suspect there is a
> line return in the middle of that URL (between .uk/ and _WOQQ )

<cuts, pastes into word. Swears.>

Ooops. Sorry 'bout that.

--
Dr Tim King
Anatomy

in message <[email protected]>, Donovan's
brain ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Call me Bob
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>>url borked

>> Strictly, your software borked. There's nothing wrong with the URL as
>> given; it's in the correct format as described in RFC1738 in which
>> the URL is defined. The RFC says

> <snip>
>
>> If your software does not conform to the spec, it isn't the spec
>> that's at fault. Fix your software.

> Mmm software borked, well in that case OE is borked and Mozilla is
> too, as that URL doesn't work in either of them suspect there is a
> line return in the middle of that URL (between .uk/ and _WOQQ )

Yup, I agree that's probably why, but OE _is_ borked - the RFC
specifically says it 'the whitespace should be ignored'.

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

Simon Brooke popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
and said
> in message <[email protected]>, Donovan's
> brain ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Simon Brooke wrote:
> > > in message <[email protected]>, Call me

_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZleQ2dtriggerQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1>

> > > Strictly, your software borked. There's nothing wrong with the
> > > URL as given; it's in the correct format as described in RFC1738
> > > in which the URL is defined. The RFC says

> > <snip>
> >
> > > If your software does not conform to the spec, it isn't the spec
> > > that's at fault. Fix your software.

> > Mmm software borked, well in that case OE is borked and Mozilla
> > is too, as that URL doesn't work in either of them suspect there is
> > a line return in the middle of that URL (between .uk/ and _WOQQ )

> Yup, I agree that's probably why, but OE _is_ borked - the RFC
> specifically says it 'the whitespace should be ignored'.

Genuine question, is a line return interperated as a "white space" ?

--
yours S

In article <[email protected]>, Jon Senior wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>> Genuine question, is a line return interperated as a "white space" ?

>Yup. Whitespace is anything that isn't a character.

Nonsense. Control characters aren't whitespace, and space characters
are both characters and whitespace.

In article <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Jon Senior wrote:
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>[email protected] says...
>>> Genuine question, is a line return interperated as a "white space" ?

>>Yup. Whitespace is anything that isn't a character.

>Nonsense. Control characters aren't whitespace

Should read "Control characters aren't _all_ whitespace" (and assumes "isn't
a character" really means "isn't a printing character" (!isprint(c)), since
"isn't a character of any sort" doesn't make sense).

Alan Braggins [email protected] opined the following...
> Should read "Control characters aren't _all_ whitespace" (and assumes "isn't
> a character" really means "isn't a printing character" (!isprint(c)), since
> "isn't a character of any sort" doesn't make sense).

As I said... clear as mud! ;-)

"Whitespace is the set of characters that are not in the set of non-
whitespace characters"!

Jon

in message <[email protected]>, soup
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
> and said
>> in message <[email protected]>,
>> Donovan's brain ('[email protected]') wrote:

> _W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZleQ2dtriggerQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1>

>> > <snip>

>> > Mmm software borked, well in that case OE is borked and Mozilla
>> > is too, as that URL doesn't work in either of them suspect there is
>> > a line return in the middle of that URL (between .uk/ and _WOQQ )

>> Yup, I agree that's probably why, but OE _is_ borked - the RFC
>> specifically says it 'the whitespace should be ignored'.

> Genuine question, is a line return interperated as a "white space" ?

Yup. I quoted the paragraph from the RFC further up thread. It is,
unfortunately, normal for Microsoft to deliberately break standards in
small but significant ways; it's part of their modus operandi
(convicted monopolists on two continents now, but it doesn't stop 'em).

The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.