fs bike or hard tail bikes

plannet.gr

Mar 21, 2007
my question is what are the differences from a full suspension bike and a hard tail bike....
except of the frame suspension
because I believe that a hard tail have more power to give... and the only time that you will need a full suspension bike is when you go for downhill biking

plannet.gr said:
my question is what are the differences from a full suspension bike and a hard tail bike....
except of the frame suspension
because I believe that a hard tail have more power to give... and the only time that you will need a full suspension bike is when you go for downhill biking

There are MANY threads here discussing the pros and cons of fs vs ht. Which will suit you better depends on a few things:
1. what is your budget? Cheap FS is often not so good.
2. Do you race? What kind - XC, marathon? The longer your races, the more you'll score from the increased comfort of fs
3. Are you a weight weenie? You'll probably prefer ht, unless you have the budget to build a really light fs
4. How old are you? Lots of older (and more experienced) bikers prefer the increased comfort of fs
5. What kind of trails do you ride? Obviously the more technical downhills and rocky or bumpy tracks you ride, the better suited fs will be.
6. ...etc

The only way to really find out for yourself, is to borrow a fs bike and go riding.

MidBunchLurker said:
There are MANY threads here discussing the pros and cons of fs vs ht. Which will suit you better depends on a few things:
1. what is your budget? Cheap FS is often not so good.
2. Do you race? What kind - XC, marathon? The longer your races, the more you'll score from the increased comfort of fs
3. Are you a weight weenie? You'll probably prefer ht, unless you have the budget to build a really light fs
4. How old are you? Lots of older (and more experienced) bikers prefer the increased comfort of fs
5. What kind of trails do you ride? Obviously the more technical downhills and rocky or bumpy tracks you ride, the better suited fs will be.
6. ...etc

The only way to really find out for yourself, is to borrow a fs bike and go riding.
look first of all i can't ride a fs bike because i am too tall (200cm) so it will be to small for me.....
my question is with witch bike will i use less power... because i know that the hardest bike is the fastes bike.. and when i come up to a mounten i believe that i ht bike will go up faster....than a fs... is that correct?? even if the road is a little bumpy

plannet.gr said:
look first of all i can't ride a fs bike because i am too tall (200cm) so it will be to small for me.....
my question is with witch bike will i use less power... because i know that the hardest bike is the fastes bike.. and when i come up to a mounten i believe that i ht bike will go up faster....than a fs... is that correct?? even if the road is a little bumpy
It sounds like your mind is already made up, so why did you ask? At 192cm, I ride a MEDIUM full sus frame, so why on earth you think you can't get one to fit you, I don't know.
On a really bumpy, loose ascent, a good full sus frame is going to keep your rear wheel in better contact with the track. Sure, on a slightly less technical ascent, a hardtail is going to be ahead, but not by much.
If you want to punish your ****, or subscribe to the BS that full sus teaches bad technique, then go ahead, ride that hardtail.
The only good argument against full sus is that a good dually is really quite expensive.

plannet.gr said:
no, you're not too tall -- one of the LA Lakers has a Titus FS bike.
if the uphill is bumpy, HT will cost you power because you'll bounce over bumps instead of rolling over them w/ FS. HT works better on smooooth trails...period.
not sure if this will AT ALL convince you, it sounds like you already have your mind made up for HT.

i allready have a handmade ht bike handmade because the size ..........
and i never have confort problem with it... and we have make dificul klm and easy klm no problem at all but i was always wonder i a fs bike is more suitable for me... or for any rider

can you give more info about the titus fs bike
?

plannet.gr said:
i allready have a handmade ht bike handmade because the size ..........
and i never have confort problem with it... and we have make dificul klm and easy klm no problem at all but i was always wonder i a fs bike is more suitable for me... or for any rider

can you give more info about the titus fs bike
?

It ALL depends on the type of trails you ride. Round where I am it is mainly steep and rocky so fs is the way to go. However I also do some riding on smooth fast forest trails so for those rides I get the ht out. Best solution is to have one (or more!) of each and take both with you when you go riding, have a look at the terrain and pick the most appropriate bike there. Given a chocie between a top fs and a top ht id take the fs just ebcause of the added comfort and traction having the rear wheel glued to the ground affords.

bigpedaler said:
..if the uphill is bumpy, HT will cost you power because you'll bounce over bumps instead of rolling over them w/ FS. HT works better on smooooth trails...period.

Not period, it really depends on how fast you're going. If it's a long steep climb and you're going slowly there isn't much bouncing even on a bumpy trail. But if you're out of the saddle, powering through, then sure.