FS: Burley Piccolo trailer bike £220 - save £100 on new

daren

Guest
Thought I'd post here first if anyone's interested...

Blue, three years old, boxed like new.

Bought from Wiggle (at same price as listed) for my wife's bike (she's
too small to ride the tandem). It spent limited time on the kiddyback.
My eldest son now rides alone most of the time, so the Burley has to
go.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=5300006317

Colour is as in this picture:
http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/trailer-bikes/burley_piccolo.html

Mine has an added rear mudguard, because contrary to what Americans
think, cycling is possible in inclement weather. For those that don't
know, the ride is excellent as it pivots from the not insubstantial
rack (rather than seat tube). Your bike will requrie a four-point rack
mount. Not as nice a ride as the kiddyback (but only 1/3 the price),
and the site of me heading down the lanes with two empty seats will be
missed.

£220 with free delivery (and fitting if required) to Oxford,
Stevenage, West London triangle. Item is located in OX13. Photos
available upon request.

Replies by email, (remove outer garment to reply) or here.

Kind regards,

Daren

daren <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thought I'd post here first if anyone's interested...
>
> Blue, three years old, boxed like new.
>
> Bought from Wiggle (at same price as listed) for my wife's bike (she's
> too small to ride the tandem). It spent limited time on the kiddyback.
> My eldest son now rides alone most of the time, so the Burley has to
> go.
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=5300006317
>
> Colour is as in this picture:
> http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/trailer-bikes/burley_piccolo.html
>
> Mine has an added rear mudguard, because contrary to what Americans
> think, cycling is possible in inclement weather. For those that don't
> know, the ride is excellent as it pivots from the not insubstantial
> rack (rather than seat tube). Your bike will requrie a four-point rack
> mount. Not as nice a ride as the kiddyback (but only 1/3 the price),
> and the site of me heading down the lanes with two empty seats will be
> missed.
>
> £220 with free delivery (and fitting if required) to Oxford,
> Stevenage, West London triangle. Item is located in OX13. Photos
> available upon request.

Is this in anyway better than the Islabike Trailerbike? Given the
price of £200 new, the Burley had better be quite a lot better to
justify the £300+ new sticker price:

http://islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/trailerbike.html
http://islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/pdf/Trailerbike.pdf

It looks like the Isla version is about a pound heavier, but the
Burley weight excludes the rack, so it's probably a wash.

Phil (tempted, since I'm in Oxford, but not seeing the benefit over
the new Isla version at this point...)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:26:16 +0100, Phil Armstrong
<[email protected]> wrote:

>daren <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Thought I'd post here first if anyone's interested...
>>
>> Blue, three years old, boxed like new.
>>
>> Bought from Wiggle (at same price as listed) for my wife's bike (she's
>> too small to ride the tandem). It spent limited time on the kiddyback.
>> My eldest son now rides alone most of the time, so the Burley has to
>> go.
>>
>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=5300006317
>>
>> Colour is as in this picture:
>> http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/trailer-bikes/burley_piccolo.html
>>
>> Mine has an added rear mudguard, because contrary to what Americans
>> think, cycling is possible in inclement weather. For those that don't
>> know, the ride is excellent as it pivots from the not insubstantial
>> rack (rather than seat tube). Your bike will requrie a four-point rack
>> mount. Not as nice a ride as the kiddyback (but only 1/3 the price),
>> and the site of me heading down the lanes with two empty seats will be
>> missed.
>>
>> £220 with free delivery (and fitting if required) to Oxford,
>> Stevenage, West London triangle. Item is located in OX13. Photos
>> available upon request.

>Is this in anyway better than the Islabike Trailerbike? Given the
>price of £200 new, the Burley had better be quite a lot better to
>justify the £300+ new sticker price:
>
> http://islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/trailerbike.html
> http://islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/pdf/Trailerbike.pdf
>
>It looks like the Isla version is about a pound heavier, but the
>Burley weight excludes the rack, so it's probably a wash.

The Islabike is for smaller children, ages 3 - 7 (inside leg 36 -
56cm). The Piccolo is for ages 4 - 10, but I think that by that age
most children from cycling families will be cycling independently.

The Piccolo manual doesn't give min and max inside leg measurements.
www.burley.com/support/images/pre04manuals/PiccoloManualBook

On 2007-10-25, Tom Crispin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:26:16 +0100, Phil Armstrong
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>daren <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Thought I'd post here first if anyone's interested...
>>>
>>> Blue, three years old, boxed like new.
>>>
>>> Bought from Wiggle (at same price as listed) for my wife's bike (she's
>>> too small to ride the tandem). It spent limited time on the kiddyback.
>>> My eldest son now rides alone most of the time, so the Burley has to
>>> go.
>>>
>>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=5300006317
>>>
>>> Colour is as in this picture:
>>> http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/trailer-bikes/burley_piccolo.html
>>>
>>> Mine has an added rear mudguard, because contrary to what Americans
>>> think, cycling is possible in inclement weather. For those that don't
>>> know, the ride is excellent as it pivots from the not insubstantial
>>> rack (rather than seat tube). Your bike will requrie a four-point rack
>>> mount. Not as nice a ride as the kiddyback (but only 1/3 the price),
>>> and the site of me heading down the lanes with two empty seats will be
>>> missed.
>>>
>>> £220 with free delivery (and fitting if required) to Oxford,
>>> Stevenage, West London triangle. Item is located in OX13. Photos
>>> available upon request.

>>Is this in anyway better than the Islabike Trailerbike? Given the
>>price of £200 new, the Burley had better be quite a lot better to
>>justify the £300+ new sticker price:
>>
>> http://islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/trailerbike.html
>> http://islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/pdf/Trailerbike.pdf
>>
>>It looks like the Isla version is about a pound heavier, but the
>>Burley weight excludes the rack, so it's probably a wash.

> The Islabike is for smaller children, ages 3 - 7 (inside leg 36 -
> 56cm). The Piccolo is for ages 4 - 10, but I think that by that age
> most children from cycling families will be cycling independently.
>
> The Piccolo manual doesn't give min and max inside leg measurements.
> www.burley.com/support/images/pre04manuals/PiccoloManualBook

Or, if you want something more in keeping with your classic tourer,
nobody is so far bidding on this:

<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140170788024>

although it's a bit big - same size frame as my first proper bike.

cheers,

Finlay

Finlay Mackay <fmackayatclaradotcodotyookay> wrote:
> Or, if you want something more in keeping with your classic tourer,
> nobody is so far bidding on this:
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140170788024>
>
> although it's a bit big - same size frame as my first proper bike.

Old school!

Phil

Finlay Mackay <fmackayatclaradotcodotyookay> says...

> Or, if you want something more in keeping with your classic tourer,
> nobody is so far bidding on this:
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140170788024>

Is it just the way I'm looking at it, or is the seat tube bent where the
top tube meets it?

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:25:17 +0100, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Finlay Mackay <fmackayatclaradotcodotyookay> says...
>
>> Or, if you want something more in keeping with your classic tourer,
>> nobody is so far bidding on this:
>>
>> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140170788024>
>>

>Is it just the way I'm looking at it, or is the seat tube bent where the
>top tube meets it?

It certainly looks that way - but the whole wall looks bent too, so
maybe its the camera.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:18:49 +0100, Phil Armstrong
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Crispin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The Islabike is for smaller children, ages 3 - 7 (inside leg 36 -
>> 56cm). The Piccolo is for ages 4 - 10, but I think that by that age
>> most children from cycling families will be cycling independently.

>Ah, the Islabike has much shorter cranks (112mm vs 140mm for the
>Piccolo), so ISWYM.

One of the things which has impressed me about the range of Islabikes
is the way the components are scaled down, brake levers, pedal size,
saddles and, as you have noticed, cranks.

There's also a clear progression in the number of gears in the Beinn
range. the 20" has 6 gears, the 24" has 8 gears and the 26" has 3 x 8
gears, though I wish they had a double chainring like the Luath 700,
and grip shifters instead of trigger shifters. Still, it's good for
my pupils to learn how to use a chainring - even if it is a bugger to
teach.

On Oct 25, 1:26 pm, Phil Armstrong <[email protected]> wrote:
> daren <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Thought I'd post here first if anyone's interested...

> > Blue, three years old, boxed like new.

> > Bought from Wiggle (at same price as listed) for my wife's bike (she's
> > too small to ride the tandem). It spent limited time on the kiddyback.
> > My eldest son now rides alone most of the time, so the Burley has to
> > go.

> >http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=5300006317

> > Colour is as in this picture:
> >http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/trailer-bikes/burley_piccolo.html

> > Mine has an added rear mudguard, because contrary to what Americans
> > think, cycling is possible in inclement weather. For those that don't
> > know, the ride is excellent as it pivots from the not insubstantial
> > rack (rather than seat tube). Your bike will requrie a four-point rack
> > mount. Not as nice a ride as the kiddyback (but only 1/3 the price),
> > and the site of me heading down the lanes with two empty seats will be
> > missed.

> > £220 with free delivery (and fitting if required) to Oxford,
> > Stevenage, West London triangle. Item is located in OX13. Photos
> > available upon request.

> Is this in anyway better than the Islabike Trailerbike? Given the
> price of £200 new, the Burley had better be quite a lot better to
> justify the £300+ new sticker price:
>
> http://islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/trailerbike.html
> http://islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/pdf/Trailerbike.pdf
>
> It looks like the Isla version is about a pound heavier, but the
> Burley weight excludes the rack, so it's probably a wash.
>
> Phil (tempted, since I'm in Oxford, but not seeing the benefit over
> the new Isla version at this point...)
>
> --http://www.kantaka.co.uk/.oOo. public key:http://www.kantaka.co.uk/gpg.txt- Hide quoted text -

I won't dengrate the Isla, it looks a nice piece of kit. As others
have said, the Burley has longer cranks and easily accomodates my
10yo. The rack is truly a substantial piece of work that takes my
panniers as well. The coupling is in a different league - you have to
see and feel it to appreciate the design. There is a guard on the tag
along to prevent flying stones.

Numerous people on the tandem@hobbes newsgroup have ridden substantial
distances with the Burley, altoufg their alternatives are all post-
mounted.

When out on the tandem with piccolo, my sons fight to go on the
Burley :) We had little choice because I needed the rack mounting
three years ago. Whether it's worth 100 pounds more is debatable. It's
definitely worth 20 pounds more, and really is as new.

kind regard,
daren