FS: MKS Toe-Clippable Pedals

gclark8

Apr 13, 2004
For Sale, 2 pair of:

MKS Toe-Clippable Pedals

Recently purchased from http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html and not used. $50 a pr plus post, or pick up in Perth.

From his web site:

MKS Toe-Clippable Pedals

MKS is Japan's major manufacturer of conventional toe-clippable pedals.
These are very high quality, but supply is spotty.

Back in stock! MKS GR-9 Platform Pedals $39.95

Many younger cyclists don't know about platform pedals, and misuse the term to refer to various MTB/BMX designs. This is the only traditional platform pedal still in production. For use only with toe clips.

The large-area platform top makes this a great choice for cyclists who prefer to ride in soft soled shoes. The large flip-up tab makes getting into the clips a snap. Unlike older platform pedals, the flip-up tab still works even if you install pedal reflectors. Aluminum body, CrMo spindle.

Width from arm = 85 mm Weight = 295 grams/pair.

OK, the powwr grips should arrive next week, I will let you know, either way, thanks for the interest.

The Power Grips have arrived and we are testing them on the MKS Platform Pedals at the moment.

Some quotes from another thread:
Power Grips will teach you about uncleating. http://www.ekosport.com/pg_benefits.shtml
Reply:
The Power Grips look like a reasonable product, but once you go to a clipless system you'll never look back, especially when you've got any sort of hills to climb!

Plus most entry level bikes come with plastic pedals, so you may not be able to attach the Power Grips anyway. I'd rather put the money towards a reasonable set of clipless pedals and shoes.
My response:
Normally I would agree with clipless all the way, however, with the summer heat I can't ride for more than 25 minutes without having to take the Shimano shoes off and cool my feet. Riding in running shoes has some advantages if you use toe clips (strapless) and the Power grips seem to give a better compromise.

I will be on the bike for 2-3 hours today with the runners/power grips so will post my impressions this afternoon.
Ok,

In and out: Out first, by far the easiest pedal system I have used to release my foot, far easier than cleats, much safer than toeclips with staps, even easier than the half clip strapless.
IN, the push off with the primary foot is ok, however it took me some time to get used to the light balance of the pedal, putting too much force into rotating the pedal, these balance far easier. Push in at a slight toe in angle, rotate the foot to straight and its all go.

Power, far more power up hills than toeclips, I felt my feet were firmly wedged into the pedal/strap and gained more confidence. No hot spots with the shoes, unlike cleated shimanos. Found I was more toe down than usual.

One legged drills, not recomended unless indoors, but possible.

For the price, a worthwile investment for the summer, far cheaper than Shimano sandals. :)