FS: OS Maps Buy One Get One Free

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Bernie Hughes, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. As some of you may know, I work for an academic bookshop chain called
    John Smith & Son Bookshops. We are attempting to cut back on
    overstocks of OS maps, so for a limited time only we will be running a
    'Buy One Get One Free' on selected Explorers & Landrangers, current
    editions, post free. If anyone on u.r.w would like to take advantage
    of this offer please contact me directly at my (demonged) work address:
    [email protected]lid

    Titles available are:

    Landrangers 1-14,16-20,22-25,29,30,32-34,37-40,46-48,59-62,66,68,75-78,80,
    82-84,86,91-96,98,120,129,131,133,143,144,146,154,157,163,167,169,180,
    183,185,187,188,199

    Explorers OL2,OL5,OL21,OL24,OL26,OL27,173,179,180,198,203,205,208,
    211,220,310,311,314-316,321,323-325,332,339,340,346,352-354,356-360,
    370,372,376,380,383,386,388,394,395,401,404,405,409,410,
    417,418,420-423,425,427-430,441-443,445-450,456-460,463,465,467-470

    Those of you on the rhb mailing list will have seen this offer before,
    it's the same deal minus a couple of dozen lines that have sold out.

    Bernie

    Tags:

  2. In message <[email protected]>, Malcolm
    <[email protected]> writes

    >In article <[email protected]>, Steven
    >Gerrard <[email protected]> writes
    >>Looks dodgy

    >Then your judgement is seriously at fault as the poster is the manager
    >of the John Smith and Son's Bookshop in Glasgow Caledonian University.
    >
    >Perhaps you should apologise to him.

    Then shouldn't he be doing his marketing on the campus - not here.

    --
    Martin Richardson
    239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go

  3. "Martin Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In message <[email protected]>, Malcolm
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >
    > >In article <[email protected]>, Steven
    > >Gerrard <[email protected]> writes
    > >>Looks dodgy

    > >Then your judgement is seriously at fault as the poster is the

    manager
    > >of the John Smith and Son's Bookshop in Glasgow Caledonian

    University.

    > >Perhaps you should apologise to him.
    > >

    > Then shouldn't he be doing his marketing on the campus - not here.

    On the other hand Bernie has been a regular poster here and as the
    product is very relevant I for one appreciate the offer. As it
    happens I don't need any but thanks anyway Bernie !

    cheers
    Graham

  4. I'll just check what I need!

    --
    Wales and Borders 15th Century Living History Society
    www.15thcentury.co.uk
    news:[email protected]

  5. Graham Ingram wrote:

    > "Martin Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>In message <[email protected]>, Malcolm
    >><[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>>In article <[email protected]>, Steven
    >>>Gerrard <[email protected]> writes

    >>>Then your judgement is seriously at fault as the poster is the

    > manager
    >
    >>>of the John Smith and Son's Bookshop in Glasgow Caledonian

    > University.
    >
    >>>Perhaps you should apologise to him.
    >>>

    >>Then shouldn't he be doing his marketing on the campus - not here.

    > On the other hand Bernie has been a regular poster here and as the
    > product is very relevant I for one appreciate the offer. As it
    > happens I don't need any but thanks anyway Bernie !

    Appreciated Graham. I'm not sure why some people seem to have taken the
    huff- the thread was clearly marked FS, so anyone could ignore it who
    chose to. Nor is it a marketing exercise. I've inherited a pile of OS
    maps from another branch that closed recently. There's no chance I'll
    sell them off the shelf (to students?) at full price, so I decided that
    if they had to go at a loss then I'd at least give people I know (in a
    sense anyway) first shout before opening it up to the general public.
    Several people on another group I frequent took advantage of the half
    price offer & I disposed of quite a few maps & everyone was happy, so I
    thought I'd repeat the exercise here. Perhaps they're a bit more touchy
    on u.r.w!

    Still the offer remains open to anyone who's interested; if you're not
    then please ignore it.

    Best Regards,
    Bernie

  6. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >On the other hand Bernie has been a regular poster here and as the
    >product is very relevant I for one appreciate the offer. As it
    >happens I don't need any but thanks anyway Bernie !
    >
    >cheers
    >Graham

    Thanks for the heads up.... Useful info

    Dont listen to the knockers!

    Richard Webb

  7. yup

    yup Guest

    MARTIN.
    Wind your neck in!

    "Martin Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In message <[email protected]>, Malcolm
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >
    > >In article <[email protected]>, Steven
    > >Gerrard <[email protected]> writes
    > >>Looks dodgy

    > >Then your judgement is seriously at fault as the poster is the manager
    > >of the John Smith and Son's Bookshop in Glasgow Caledonian University.
    > >
    > >Perhaps you should apologise to him.
    > >

    > Then shouldn't he be doing his marketing on the campus - not here.
    >
    > --
    > Martin Richardson
    > 239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0%

    to go
    > 42/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
    > 442/1552 Marilyns - 72% to go

  8. In message <PD%[email protected]>, yup
    <[email protected]> writes
    >MARTIN.
    >Wind your neck in!

    I go on the hills to get away from the shopping mall - and I come on
    usenet to get away from the virtual equivalent.

    --
    Martin Richardson
    239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go
    42/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
    442/1552 Marilyns - 72% to go

  9. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:01:46 +0100, Martin Richardson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In message <PD%[email protected]>, yup
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>MARTIN.
    >>Wind your neck in!
    >>

    >I go on the hills to get away from the shopping mall - and I come on
    >usenet to get away from the virtual equivalent.

    Cheap gear is cheap gear... And this has always been a good place to
    find out about it....

    When I am in the hills I am away from shopping malls, but also away
    from usenet... A good reason to go?

    Richard Webb

  10. In message <[email protected]>, RJ Webb
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:01:46 +0100, Martin Richardson
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <PD%[email protected]>, yup
    >><[email protected]> writes
    >>>MARTIN.
    >>>Wind your neck in!
    >>>

    >>I go on the hills to get away from the shopping mall - and I come on
    >>usenet to get away from the virtual equivalent.

    >Cheap gear is cheap gear... And this has always been a good place to
    >find out about it....
    >
    >When I am in the hills I am away from shopping malls, but also away
    >from usenet... A good reason to go?
    >
    >Richard Webb

    As it says in the FAQ:

    1 Strictly speaking,

    ALL ADVERTS ARE FORBIDDEN BY THE CHARTER

    However, by custom we are tolerant of occasional Personal For
    Sale adverts. Any such postings should be preceded with FS so
    those who wish to filter them may do so.

    I assume the word 'personal' refers to an individual not a shop.
    Otherwise what's to stop Tesco's telling us that there is a special
    offer on Mars bars?

    --
    Martin Richardson
    239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go
    42/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
    442/1552 Marilyns - 72% to go

  11. On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 08:41:02 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Chris
    Malcolm) wrote:

    | Martin Richardson <[email protected]> writes:
    |
    | >As it says in the FAQ:
    |
    | > 1 Strictly speaking,
    |
    | > ALL ADVERTS ARE FORBIDDEN BY THE CHARTER
    |
    | > However, by custom we are tolerant of occasional Personal For
    | > Sale adverts. Any such postings should be preceded with FS so
    | > those who wish to filter them may do so.
    |

    | >I assume the word 'personal' refers to an individual not a shop.
    | >Otherwise what's to stop Tesco's telling us that there is a special
    | >offer on Mars bars?
    |
    | FAQs & newsgroup charters do not have the force of law. They are
    | upheld simply by the force of how they are interpreted by newsgroup
    | readers and ISPs. And I doubt that Tesco's lawyers are keenly studying
    | this newsgroup to see what happens to a hillwalking bookshop manager
    | who has some useful maps he wants to get rid of cheaply. There are,
    | IMHO sufficiently clear distinctions between this case and Tesco's
    | Mars Bars that there us no problem in encouraging one and discouraging
    | the other, and I'm sure a lawyer could craft up a suitable amendment
    | to the Charter to cover the distinction.
    |
    | But what would be the point in such effort? Our current informal
    | system seems to be working fairly well, and it would probably cost a
    | small fortune to try to replace it with a properly legal one, and it
    | might not even be possible.

    This is untrue.
    To change the charter of urw simply write what you think the new charter
    should be, and submit an RFD to Control. Mollycoddle the RFD through the
    discussion. In this case a Fast track would be unlikely, so the RFD would
    go to a vote.

    No expence, lots of effort.

    Dave F

  12. Martin Richardson wrote:

    > As it says in the FAQ:
    >
    > 1 Strictly speaking,
    >
    > ALL ADVERTS ARE FORBIDDEN BY THE CHARTER
    >
    > However, by custom we are tolerant of occasional Personal For
    > Sale adverts. Any such postings should be preceded with FS so
    > those who wish to filter them may do so.
    >

    > I assume the word 'personal' refers to an individual not a shop.
    > Otherwise what's to stop Tesco's telling us that there is a special
    > offer on Mars bars?

    Fair enough. I'd assumed that the offer would be welcome, given that:

    a) I've been reading & posting on this group for a couple of years
    b) the product was -supremely- relevant
    c) neither myself nor my shop stood to make any profit whatsoever
    d) the thread was preceded by FS:
    e) it was after all a pretty good offer...

    It appears that I was wrong.

    Thank you to those of you who have placed orders already; they will be
    supplied within the week as promised. Unfortunately I feel I have no
    alternative but to withdraw the offer forthwith.

    Live & learn, I guess.

    Bernie

  13. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Malcolm wrote on Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:20:18 +0100....

    > In article <[email protected]>, Bernie Hughes
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >
    > >It appears that I was wrong.
    > >

    > No, you weren't. If one miserable so-and-so wishes to quote the letter
    > of the FAQ at you, then just ignore him. Those of us who have taken you
    > up on your very kind offer are extremely grateful to you and I certainly
    > had no problem whatsoever with your single advertising post.

    FWIW I didn't have a problem with this advert either. In fact, I
    might have placed an order, except that the maps I was after seem to
    be sold out.

    It's difficult to define the difference between an advert that's
    acceptable (as I believe this one was) and one that isn't (such as if
    Tesco tried to sell us Mars bars). No doubt that's why the charter
    and the FAQ don't succeed in defining the difference. It's just
    something that most of us know when we see it.

    Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that Bernie is himself a
    regular poster here, and so knows instinctively what most other users
    are likely to find acceptable.

    --
    Tim Jackson
    [email protected]lid

  14. Stuart Mann

    Stuart Mann Guest

    Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Bernie Hughes
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>Martin Richardson wrote:
    >>
    >> > As it says in the FAQ:
    >>> 1 Strictly speaking,
    >>> ALL ADVERTS ARE FORBIDDEN BY THE CHARTER
    >>> However, by custom we are tolerant of occasional Personal
    >>>For
    >>> Sale adverts. Any such postings should be preceded with FS
    >>> so those who wish to filter them may do so.
    >>> I assume the word 'personal' refers to an individual not a shop.
    >>>Otherwise what's to stop Tesco's telling us that there is a special
    >>>offer on Mars bars?

    >>Fair enough. I'd assumed that the offer would be welcome, given that:
    >>
    >>a) I've been reading & posting on this group for a couple of years
    >>b) the product was -supremely- relevant
    >>c) neither myself nor my shop stood to make any profit whatsoever
    >>d) the thread was preceded by FS:
    >>e) it was after all a pretty good offer...
    >>
    >>It appears that I was wrong.
    >>

    > No, you weren't. If one miserable so-and-so wishes to quote the letter
    > of the FAQ at you, then just ignore him. Those of us who have taken you
    > up on your very kind offer are extremely grateful to you and I
    > certainly had no problem whatsoever with your single advertising post.

    Nor me! There's a rash of people quoting things that purport to be widely
    accepted FAQs in ways that seem aimed at spoiling things for the regular
    participants in this group. Ironically and sadly, Martin (a regular) has now
    used the generally accepted FAQ to achieve the same result for the other
    regulars - including Bernie.

    >>Thank you to those of you who have placed orders already; they will be
    >>supplied within the week as promised. Unfortunately I feel I have no
    >>alternative but to withdraw the offer forthwith.
    >>
    >>Live & learn, I guess.
    >>

    > I am very sorry to hear this. I am confident that Martin is in a tiny
    > minority here and I hope he will re-think his attitude, which I
    > personally find petty, selfish and small-minded in the extreme.

    Here here! You get plenty of support for your radical stance on cairns,
    Martin, but judging from this thread you stand singularly alone in your
    hostility to Bernie's very decent and transparent offer. I note you've
    aready declined to apologise to Bernie but now it's time to apologise to the
    rest of us. I, for one, was contemplating placing an order!

    Stuart

  15. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote

    >I am very sorry to hear this. I am confident that Martin is in a tiny
    >minority here

    It's worse than that, there is only one of him left!

    > and I hope he will re-think his attitude, which I
    >personally find petty, selfish and small-minded in the extreme.

    Well, he kicks cairns over wearing only sandals, so his battered feet
    give him a lot of pain. It's not easy for him....
    --
    Gordon
    (If you have to include a smiley, it's not funny)

  16. Jiffy

    Jiffy Guest

    "Martin Richardson" wrote in message...
    <snip>
    > As it says in the FAQ:
    >
    > 1 Strictly speaking,
    >
    > ALL ADVERTS ARE FORBIDDEN BY THE CHARTER
    >
    > However, by custom we are tolerant of occasional Personal For
    > Sale adverts. Any such postings should be preceded with FS so
    > those who wish to filter them may do so.
    >

    > I assume the word 'personal' refers to an individual not a shop.
    > Otherwise what's to stop Tesco's telling us that there is a special
    > offer on Mars bars?

    Looks like we need a new charter. I believe relevant commercial adverts like
    Bernie's are of benefit to this group and should be allowed. I'd advocate a
    limit of one advert per month per company to keep things in order.

    The quoted part of the FAQ mentions personal FS posts. I take it that
    includes personal FA (For Auction) and FO (For Offer) posts too?

    Cheers, Jiffy

    PS: Jiffy's OS map collection = Plus 2. Thanks Bernie!

  17. Gareth Babb wrote:

    > I didn't have a problem with the original advert myself (though I accept it
    > was against the charter, and letting through one can be a slippery slope)
    > but I just thought the main problem with the offer was that Bernie didn't
    > quote a price

    Buy one get one free?

    and his website is very ... content-abbreviated.

    Unfortunately the website doesn't belong to me but to the company I work
    for. And yes it's crap. I'm never done moaning about it...

    Bernie

  18. Gareth Babb wrote:

    > As a followup to my own post, I now notice Bernie is using "uni-berlin.de" -
    > he should be very careful posting *any* commercial post via this means, they
    > have an absolute rock solid enforced policy on commercial posts via their
    > news servers (ie. they are definately not allowed), be they within a group's
    > charter or not.

    I don't much like the (admittedly implausible) idea of being flung into
    a Berlin jail on trumped-up Usenet Violation charges & left to rot, so
    let's put an end to this whole thread.

    If anybody wishes to spout abuse/defend honour/buy cheap maps, then
    please feel free to contact me directly at bernie dot hughes @ johnsmith
    dot co dot uk

    There may well be a case for changing the charter; if anyone wishes to
    argue the case for or against please start a new thread entitled
    'Improving the charter'

    Martin- come back out of hiding, I'm not going to challenge you to a
    duel or anything.

    Good night & thank you.

    Bernie

  19. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Malcolm
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >
    > >In article <[email protected]>, Steven
    > >Gerrard <[email protected]> writes
    > >>Looks dodgy

    > >Then your judgement is seriously at fault as the poster is the manager
    > >of the John Smith and Son's Bookshop in Glasgow Caledonian University.
    > >
    > >Perhaps you should apologise to him.
    > >

    > Then shouldn't he be doing his marketing on the campus - not here.

    I don't have a problem with Bernie having a special offer in his
    shop and extending it to his friends here. He marked his initial
    post "FS:" which told us all very clearly that something was for
    sale. Does it really make any difference whether that something
    is an offer on a map or a secondhand tent/sleeping bag/2" high
    stove etc?
    --
    Fran
    If you need my email address please ask.