FS: RANS Tailwind - with lots of extras

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Simon G, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Simon G

    Simon G Guest

    (if you have a suggestion for a website/forum better suited for a FOR SALE ad for a recumbent, I
    would greatly appreciate it).

    RANS Tailwind 2000 (Green colour - year 2000?) For SALE:

    The bike is RANS Tailwind 2000/1 model, green colour, in an excellent condition. Used for about a
    year and a half. I take it to the shop - Cambie Cycle - for 2 tune-ups a year, and do quite a bit of
    basic maintenance and cleaning myself.

    Here are the extras:

    -) I replaced the front chainring, which comes from Kansas and is totally unusable on any tiny hill
    or more. I mean, where can you cycle with 40-52-62? I have it replaced with (I believe, might be off
    by 2) 30-42-52, which is a LOT more useable in the BC landscape - or any area that has hills.

    -) Clipless SPD, the ones that have clipless on one side and "metal serrated edges" on the other.

    -) Cateye 2 bike computer (green of course! :)

    -) I just put a new mesh on the seat, because the original one had a little hole developing on one
    side. Apparently it is a known problem; the solution of my local bike dealer is to patch it (at a
    shoemaker store). So, effectively, there is an extra seat mesh that comes with it, and needs a small
    patch job.

    -) 2 bottle cages.

    -) The back seat bag, the one that looks like a large briefcase that mounts on top of the seat.

    -) Fenders on both wheels.

    -) Pannier racks. The rear, standard one, is permanently mounted. I also bought an extra pannier
    rack (via BikeE) and it mounts with two brackets just under the seat, giving me the opportunity to
    put two more panniers. Works really well.

    -) I also have two spare tubes of 20" which are coming with the whole package; might have some spare
    spokes as well.

    -) I also have two small pannier bags, Serratus, which are handy for shopping or a short overnight
    camping trip.

    For the whole package, I am asking for $750 US. And, as I live in Vancouver, Canada, there is the
    shipping stuff - which we can talk about. Perhaps 50-50.

    Thanks, Simon [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    www.recumbents.com www.bentrideronline.com

    "Simon G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (if you have a suggestion for a website/forum better suited for a FOR SALE
    ad
    > for a recumbent, I would greatly appreciate it).
    >

    > RANS Tailwind 2000 (Green colour - year 2000?) For SALE:
    >

    > The bike is RANS Tailwind 2000/1 model, green colour, in an excellent
    condition.
    > Used for about a year and a half. I take it to the shop - Cambie Cycle -
    for 2
    > tune-ups a year, and do quite a bit of basic maintenance and cleaning
    myself.

    > Here are the extras:
    >
    > -) I replaced the front chainring, which comes from Kansas and is totally unusable on any tiny
    > hill or more. I mean, where can you cycle with
    40-52-62? I
    > have it replaced with (I believe, might be off by 2) 30-42-52, which is a
    LOT
    > more useable in the BC landscape - or any area that has hills.
    >
    > -) Clipless SPD, the ones that have clipless on one side and "metal
    serrated
    > edges" on the other.
    >
    > -) Cateye 2 bike computer (green of course! :)
    >
    > -) I just put a new mesh on the seat, because the original one had a
    little
    > hole developing on one side. Apparently it is a known problem; the
    solution
    > of my local bike dealer is to patch it (at a shoemaker store). So,
    effectively,
    > there is an extra seat mesh that comes with it, and needs a small patch
    job.

    > -) 2 bottle cages.
    >
    > -) The back seat bag, the one that looks like a large briefcase that
    mounts
    > on top of the seat.
    >
    > -) Fenders on both wheels.
    >
    > -) Pannier racks. The rear, standard one, is permanently mounted. I also bought an extra pannier
    > rack (via BikeE) and it mounts with two brackets
    just
    > under the seat, giving me the opportunity to put two more panniers. Works
    really
    > well.
    >
    > -) I also have two spare tubes of 20" which are coming with the whole
    package;
    > might have some spare spokes as well.
    >
    > -) I also have two small pannier bags, Serratus, which are handy for
    shopping or
    > a short overnight camping trip.
    >

    > For the whole package, I am asking for $750 US. And, as I live in
    Vancouver,
    > Canada, there is the shipping stuff - which we can talk about. Perhaps
    50-50.

    > Thanks, Simon [email protected]

  3. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    Simon, Any interest in parting with the 62-tooth chainwheel? What's the bolt circle diameter?

    --
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) "baronn1"
    <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > www.recumbents.com www.bentrideronline.com
    >
    > "Simon G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> -) I replaced the front chainring, which comes from Kansas and is totally unusable on any tiny
    >> hill or more. I mean, where can you cycle with
    > 40-52-62? I
    >> have it replaced with (I believe, might be off by 2) 30-42-52, which

    Presto, Presto II, Screamer

  4. Stu Sanford

    Stu Sanford Guest

    Simon,

    If hill climbing is your main problem with the tailwind, then try swapping out the stock SRAM for a
    Shimano 11-34 megarange. I have this on my WAVE, with the 62 tooth setup of the Tailwind. Gear range
    is somthing like 21 to 109 gear inch, which gives you the lower gearing of the Wave, and the top end
    of the Tailwind.

    Stu Sanford Woodbridge VA 2001 RANS Wave (highly modified)

    "Simon G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (if you have a suggestion for a website/forum better suited for a FOR SALE
    ad
    > for a recumbent, I would greatly appreciate it).
    >

    > RANS Tailwind 2000 (Green colour - year 2000?) For SALE:
    >

    > The bike is RANS Tailwind 2000/1 model, green colour, in an excellent
    condition.
    > Used for about a year and a half. I take it to the shop - Cambie Cycle -
    for 2
    > tune-ups a year, and do quite a bit of basic maintenance and cleaning
    myself.

    > Here are the extras:
    >
    > -) I replaced the front chainring, which comes from Kansas and is totally unusable on any tiny
    > hill or more. I mean, where can you cycle with
    40-52-62? I
    > have it replaced with (I believe, might be off by 2) 30-42-52, which is a
    LOT
    > more useable in the BC landscape - or any area that has hills.
    >
    > -) Clipless SPD, the ones that have clipless on one side and "metal
    serrated
    > edges" on the other.
    >
    > -) Cateye 2 bike computer (green of course! :)
    >
    > -) I just put a new mesh on the seat, because the original one had a
    little
    > hole developing on one side. Apparently it is a known problem; the
    solution
    > of my local bike dealer is to patch it (at a shoemaker store). So,
    effectively,
    > there is an extra seat mesh that comes with it, and needs a small patch
    job.

    > -) 2 bottle cages.
    >
    > -) The back seat bag, the one that looks like a large briefcase that
    mounts
    > on top of the seat.
    >
    > -) Fenders on both wheels.
    >
    > -) Pannier racks. The rear, standard one, is permanently mounted. I also bought an extra pannier
    > rack (via BikeE) and it mounts with two brackets
    just
    > under the seat, giving me the opportunity to put two more panniers. Works
    really
    > well.
    >
    > -) I also have two spare tubes of 20" which are coming with the whole
    package;
    > might have some spare spokes as well.
    >
    > -) I also have two small pannier bags, Serratus, which are handy for
    shopping or
    > a short overnight camping trip.
    >

    > For the whole package, I am asking for $750 US. And, as I live in
    Vancouver,
    > Canada, there is the shipping stuff - which we can talk about. Perhaps
    50-50.

    > Thanks, Simon [email protected]

  5. Stu Sanford

    Stu Sanford Guest

    Hmmm, A critical word dropped out. 'cluster', as in Shimano 11-34 megarange cluster. Sorry for being
    so 'murky'. This is what I get when my mind goes faster than my fingers. Stu

    "Stu Sanford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > >
    > > -) Fenders on both wheels.
    > >
    > > -) Pannier racks. The rear, standard one, is permanently mounted. I also bought an extra pannier
    > > rack (via BikeE) and it mounts with two brackets
    > just
    > > under the seat, giving me the opportunity to put two more panniers.
    Works
    > really
    > > well.
    > >
    > > -) I also have two spare tubes of 20" which are coming with the whole
    > package;
    > > might have some spare spokes as well.
    > >
    > > -) I also have two small pannier bags, Serratus, which are handy for
    > shopping or
    > > a short overnight camping trip.
    > >

    > > For the whole package, I am asking for $750 US. And, as I live in
    > Vancouver,
    > > Canada, there is the shipping stuff - which we can talk about. Perhaps

  6. Simon G

    Simon G Guest

    Thanks Stu,

    Main problem was the lack of portability when going travelling. This is why I own a BikeFriday
    SatRDay - which has that 9-speed 11-34 casette. Combined with a 3-speed internal hub, the bike
    performed very well on some Chilean and Argentinian climbs over the mountains and the desert just a
    few weeks ago.

    Simon

    On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:45:58 -0500, "Stu Sanford" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >> on top of the seat.
    >>
    >> -) Fenders on both wheels.
    >>
    >> -) Pannier racks. The rear, standard one, is permanently mounted. I also bought an extra pannier
    >> rack (via BikeE) and it mounts with two brackets
    >just
    >> under the seat, giving me the opportunity to put two more panniers. Works
    >really
    >> well.
    >>
    >> -) I also have two spare tubes of 20" which are coming with the whole
    >package;
    >> might have some spare spokes as well.
    >>
    >> -) I also have two small pannier bags, Serratus, which are handy for
    >shopping or
    >> a short overnight camping trip.
    >>

    >> For the whole package, I am asking for $750 US. And, as I live in
    >Vancouver,
    >> Canada, there is the shipping stuff - which we can talk about. Perhaps

  7. Simon G

    Simon G Guest

    Gone - donated to a local bike shop that creates very funky things with bike components, for various
    Latin American countries - as community projects and volunteering support. Check out their site:

    http://www.pedalpower.org/about.html

    Simon