rec.bicycles.marketplace · Public discussion

FS: Trek 720 touring rig 25" frame

Started by Unrevealed Source · · Last activity · 2 posts · 523 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.marketplace
Published
30 September 2005
Last activity
30 September 2005
Original author
Unrevealed Source
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
523
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have for sale an original Trek 720 in a 25" frame, and I am the original
    owner. This is the original, top-of-the-line, full touring bike, not the
    cheaper hybrid 720 that they sold years later. Some would say it's the best
    touring bike ever made, which is why I bought it. This is a fully lugged
    Reynolds 531 frame, purpose-built as a touring bike. Sadly, my touring days
    are over and I haven't ridden in years. This bicycle has always been stored
    hanging indoors, never in a garage. If you have been looking for a
    top-of-the-line touring bicycle (and if a 25" frame is your size), this is
    it. Excellent, excellent condition.

    If you're not familiar with this bike, Google it and you'll find out more.
    A link to the original Trek brochure is here:

    http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/84Trek3Touring.pdf

    This is sort of a legendary bike and there probably aren't many around in
    good shape.

    I am selling this with all the extras, making this a complete touring rig.
    Included are front and rear panniers, handlebar bag, extra set of wheels,
    extra seat (original and also gel seat which is on the bike now), frame
    pump, two sets of tire irons, Avocet computer, water bottles, extra spokes,
    extra set of handlebar foam, night-riding lights, etc. If you want to make
    me an offer, please take into consideration how much all of this gear costs
    to purchase separately. (Good panniers alone cost hundreds of dollars).
    This bike, with the extra set of custom wheels, plus everything else
    required for touring would represent a sizable investment if you were to
    duplicate this setup today.

    I had an additional set of wheels custom-built, which are lighter and
    quicker, designed for light duty (unloaded touring or day trips). These are
    1" rims with Campagnolo hubs, and 1 1/8" tires. Those are what is on the
    bike now, which makes it handle very well and is a delight to ride. I only
    did fully-loaded touring a few times, so I rode these wheels most of the
    time. These lighter wheels coupled with the VERY long-wheelbase Reynolds
    frame makes the bike comfortable for hours on end. Since both sets of
    wheels have identical sprocket sets, switching out the wheels to the
    original, wider rims for loaded touring is just a matter of adjusting the
    brake pads.

    The bike has been repainted AT THE TREK FACTORY, about 10 years ago. I had
    the bike stripped by my cycle shop, and the frame sent back to Trek for a
    factory paint job. It is the famous Trek Imron paint, in a beautiful
    burgundy color. Really pretty. Since I didn't do much riding after that,
    the paint is in great shape.

    The only component that is not original is the headset. A Shimano 105
    headset was installed when the bike shop lost one of the original bearing
    races during the above-mentioned restoration. The 105 headset is at least
    as good as the original, and some would say is an upgrade.

    The bike is in perfect mechanical condition. The new owner will probably
    want to repack all of the main bearings before putting it to heavy-duty use,
    but it is rideable as is (bearings are not dry and everything moves smoothly
    and freely). Wheels are in alignment, all the spokes are tight. Brake pads
    are nearly new, tires are in excellent shape. Everything works exactly as
    it should and the bike needs nothing. Since this was "my baby", it has been
    very well cared for.

    The bike is in Michigan, and will be professionally packed and shipped in a
    bicycle box from my local bike shop, with the buyer to pay actual shipping
    cost including materials. I have not yet priced this out but I will only
    charge what it costs me. Of course you can pick it up at my home in
    Michigan if that's convenient.

    Hopefully this bike will find a home with someone that will actually use it
    for its intended purpose. My touring days provided some wonderful memories
    and this bike made it all possible. Email me with any other questions;
    pictures available via email.

    I will consider all serious offers. Thanks again for your interest.

  2. Forget to add my email address. It's [email hidden]
    Remove yourpants to email me. Thanks.

    "Unrevealed Source" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have for sale an original Trek 720 in a 25" frame, and I am the original
    owner. This is the original, top-of-the-line, full touring bike, not the
    cheaper hybrid 720 that they sold years later. Some would say it's the
    best touring bike ever made, which is why I bought it. This is a fully
    lugged Reynolds 531 frame, purpose-built as a touring bike. Sadly, my
    touring days are over and I haven't ridden in years. This bicycle has
    always been stored hanging indoors, never in a garage. If you have been
    looking for a top-of-the-line touring bicycle (and if a 25" frame is your
    size), this is it. Excellent, excellent condition.

    If you're not familiar with this bike, Google it and you'll find out more.
    A link to the original Trek brochure is here:

    http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/84Trek3Touring.pdf

    This is sort of a legendary bike and there probably aren't many around in
    good shape.

    I am selling this with all the extras, making this a complete touring rig.
    Included are front and rear panniers, handlebar bag, extra set of wheels,
    extra seat (original and also gel seat which is on the bike now), frame
    pump, two sets of tire irons, Avocet computer, water bottles, extra
    spokes, extra set of handlebar foam, night-riding lights, etc. If you
    want to make me an offer, please take into consideration how much all of
    this gear costs to purchase separately. (Good panniers alone cost
    hundreds of dollars). This bike, with the extra set of custom wheels, plus
    everything else required for touring would represent a sizable investment
    if you were to duplicate this setup today.

    I had an additional set of wheels custom-built, which are lighter and
    quicker, designed for light duty (unloaded touring or day trips). These
    are 1" rims with Campagnolo hubs, and 1 1/8" tires. Those are what is on
    the bike now, which makes it handle very well and is a delight to ride. I
    only did fully-loaded touring a few times, so I rode these wheels most of
    the time. These lighter wheels coupled with the VERY long-wheelbase
    Reynolds frame makes the bike comfortable for hours on end. Since both
    sets of wheels have identical sprocket sets, switching out the wheels to
    the original, wider rims for loaded touring is just a matter of adjusting
    the brake pads.

    The bike has been repainted AT THE TREK FACTORY, about 10 years ago. I
    had the bike stripped by my cycle shop, and the frame sent back to Trek
    for a factory paint job. It is the famous Trek Imron paint, in a beautiful
    burgundy color. Really pretty. Since I didn't do much riding after that,
    the paint is in great shape.

    The only component that is not original is the headset. A Shimano 105
    headset was installed when the bike shop lost one of the original bearing
    races during the above-mentioned restoration. The 105 headset is at least
    as good as the original, and some would say is an upgrade.

    The bike is in perfect mechanical condition. The new owner will probably
    want to repack all of the main bearings before putting it to heavy-duty
    use, but it is rideable as is (bearings are not dry and everything moves
    smoothly and freely). Wheels are in alignment, all the spokes are tight.
    Brake pads are nearly new, tires are in excellent shape. Everything works
    exactly as it should and the bike needs nothing. Since this was "my
    baby", it has been very well cared for.

    The bike is in Michigan, and will be professionally packed and shipped in
    a bicycle box from my local bike shop, with the buyer to pay actual
    shipping cost including materials. I have not yet priced this out but I
    will only charge what it costs me. Of course you can pick it up at my
    home in Michigan if that's convenient.

    Hopefully this bike will find a home with someone that will actually use
    it for its intended purpose. My touring days provided some wonderful
    memories and this bike made it all possible. Email me with any other
    questions; pictures available via email.

    I will consider all serious offers. Thanks again for your interest.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.