FSA 11 speed... any inside info?

CampagnoloBora said:
Just saw this on the campyonly website

http://www.campyonly.com/rumors.html

Hopefully only a rumor this is insane already!! :eek:

This is on the same page as Shimano's rumored 12-speed system, and rumors that Campy will try to meet or beat.

If consumers demand innovation (I don't know that that's true) what other direction would it go in? We complain about stupid light equipment, too many gears, too few spokes... what is left?

I'll all up for innovation and all as long as what I (we) have is still being supported.... I don't want to have to get a new frame because company X decided we need a wider rear drop out to accomodate our new 14 cog rear system and 10spd is no longer supported anymore :rolleyes:

DiabloScott said:
This is on the same page as Shimano's rumored 12-speed system, and rumors that Campy will try to meet or beat.

If consumers demand innovation (I don't know that that's true) what other direction would it go in? We complain about stupid light equipment, too many gears, too few spokes... what is left?

-The innovation I'm waiting for is a sealed, high pressure frame that you can pump helium into so that it will weigh next to nothing.

CB

cb750k1974 said:
-The innovation I'm waiting for is a sealed, high pressure frame that you can pump helium into so that it will weigh next to nothing.

CB

High pressure helium weighs more than low pressure helium. You'd have a lighter bike if you evacuated all the air from inside the frame. Safer on impact also.

DiabloScott said:
High pressure helium weighs more than low pressure helium. You'd have a lighter bike if you evacuated all the air from inside the frame. Safer on impact also.
With a pressurized frame you can use a thinner tube wall without buckling. It's been done with motorcycles. The closest we've seen on bicycles is Bianchi's foam injection.

But when is all of this gear madness going to stop? An 11, 12, or even 13 speed cassette isn't an inovation. It's just more of something we have too much of already. Adding an extra gear to a road group and calling it "new" is the technological equivalent of making a sequel to a bad movie. Is an extra gear really an improvement when it doubles the cost of a cassette and cuts the chain life in half?

I trhink next innovation will be continous gear technology. Infinite gear ratios!!

Induray said:
I trhink next innovation will be continous gear technology. Infinite gear ratios!!

It's been done... it sucked. Kind of an expandable chainring. Enough is enough.

artmichalek said:
With a pressurized frame you can use a thinner tube wall without buckling. It's been done with motorcycles. The closest we've seen on bicycles is Bianchi's foam injection.

But when is all of this gear madness going to stop? An 11, 12, or even 13 speed cassette isn't an inovation. It's just more of something we have too much of already. Adding an extra gear to a road group and calling it "new" is the technological equivalent of making a sequel to a bad movie. Is an extra gear really an improvement when it doubles the cost of a cassette and cuts the chain life in half?
"Too much of already", Bravo!! My rant on pressurizing a frame with helium was just kinda tongue in cheek, but damn, I didn't know that it had been done before. Ok, here's another innovation rant...Electronic shifting via your toes. Special shoes with electronic sensors with connections to the pedals and electronic do-giggers that when you press down on your left big toe the front d. shifts. The right big toe would control the freewheel gears. This would eliminate cables weight, shifter weight, and improve aerodynamics. The thing I need to figure out is how to elimate accidental shifts...but were not serious here just ranting and brain storming. Cheers!

How about this for innovation? A Helium filled organic frame with electronic activated continous gearing system, that adjust the gear ratio by sensing your pedal force and cadence? Weight of the whole bike less than five pounds!!

"WAKE UP RAY"!

" Oh... what?....sorry I went on a trance again"

DiabloScott said:

years ago Porsche used a tube frame chassis and pressurised it and fitted a guage on the dash to tell the driver if the chassis had cracked - an inportant thing to note on a car that was timed at 243·9 mph on the Mulsanne straight at Le Mans in 1970 .( porsche 917 , 5 liter , flat 12 , 2 valve , air cooled and lighter than a formula 1 car by a lot )
the way they build bikes these days might not be a bad idea to repeat the practice .

How about they just make the thing go itself and we can all just sit there look like we're going fast doing all the work :cool:

Anyone had any luck with a 10sp triple driving a rohloff 14speed hub?
420 ratios should be good enough for anyone to find the perfect ratio.

9psi said:

A lot less efficient than standard drives on bikes.

9psi said:
The rohloff hub only accepts a single cog. I have been able to run Sram's 5 and 7 speed internals in series. And yes, that was way too many gears.