FSA Carbon Cranks Vs. Ultegra Cranks

Rudy

Sep 23, 2003
Hi Folks,
I was wondering how well these FSA carbon cranks perform against the Ultegra cranksets. Like the team models or the super light etc...

It's easy to get all caught up in their light weights and beauty that you may forget how important the crankset can be. Another word they need to be stiff and strong.

I want to make my Scott CR1 lighter, plus the black crankset look good on a black carbon bike....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Performance improvement? Not much. Bling factor? Lots! :D

I continue to be less than convinced by the new trend in Carbon Fiber-ish cranksets... don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with them and they are beautiful, but improved performance?:rolleyes:

The one good thing is that they have forced down the price of perfectly fine (actually, top notch) ' traditional ' cranksets (do an ebay search for a Campagnolo Record Crank!).

Powerful Pete said:
Performance improvement? Not much. Bling factor? Lots! :D

I continue to be less than convinced by the new trend in Carbon Fiber-ish cranksets... don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with them and they are beautiful, but improved performance?:rolleyes:

The one good thing is that they have forced down the price of perfectly fine (actually, top notch) ' traditional ' cranksets (do an ebay search for a Campagnolo Record Crank!).

Hi Pete!!
Yes the bling factor is there especially when you can drop almost 0.5 lb from your Ultegra 10. As long as I don't lose any stiffness in the crank I would be happy. But I can't seem to be able to find any comparison tests on them.

Rudy said:
Hi Pete!!
Yes the bling factor is there especially when you can drop almost 0.5 lb from your Ultegra 10. As long as I don't lose any stiffness in the crank I would be happy. But I can't seem to be able to find any comparison tests on them.
0.5 lb drop? :rolleyes: Not with those crankset/bb's you mention!!

supergrill said:
0.5 lb drop? :rolleyes: Not with those crankset/bb's you mention!!

are you sure? the FSA Team is around 560g ...without BB. Add anoter 100g for the BB.

The Ultegra 10 is around 880g. 880 - 660 = 220g ==> 0.5 lb? almost

Rudy said:
are you sure? the FSA Team is around 560g ...without BB. Add anoter 100g for the BB.

The Ultegra 10 is around 880g. 880 - 660 = 220g ==> 0.5 lb? almost

100g for a conventional inboard BB? Constructed of Aerogel?

Slider77 said:
100g for a conventional inboard BB? Constructed of Aerogel?

hmmm I'm not sure...

If someone could make a suggestion for a good stiff black carbon crankset/BB that would drop some serious weights from the Ultegra...Pleasse chime in

I went with the Profile Design carbon cranks and it dropped 100 grams according to my digital scale vs. my Ultegra 9-speed crankset, still using the original Ultegra chain rings on the Profile Design. Are the Profile Designs stiffer than the Ultegras? Yes they are!! Especially when I get off the saddle, there is no flex that I can feel. Haven't tried the FSA in road cranks but if their MTB cranks are any indication, they will be very stiff as well.

I happen to have two ultegra cranks, and can personally vouch for the fact that they add no more than a second or two to my typical training ride. That said, f'ing with my latest igloo-cool-uber-insulating-bottle adds about 10s. Get real dude. Say 'no' to bling.

slbenz said:
I went with the Profile Design carbon cranks and it dropped 100 grams according to my digital scale vs. my Ultegra 9-speed crankset, still using the original Ultegra chain rings on the Profile Design. Are the Profile Designs stiffer than the Ultegras? Yes they are!! Especially when I get off the saddle, there is no flex that I can feel. Haven't tried the FSA in road cranks but if their MTB cranks are any indication, they will be very stiff as well.

I'll into the Profile...if nothing else, I would upgrade to the DA. Right now the bike is being built and I would get credits for my existing Ultegra cranks.

Stiffer cranks would be nice. :)

RC2 said:
I happen to have two ultegra cranks, and can personally vouch for the fact that they add no more than a second or two to my typical training ride. That said, f'ing with my latest igloo-cool-uber-insulating-bottle adds about 10s. Get real dude. Say 'no' to bling.

Killjoy!! :rolleyes:

Rudy said:
Killjoy!! :rolleyes:
Rudy, I have the FSA team carbon triple on my custom frame. I got it because it was lighter than the DA 9 sp triple, and went well with the CF rear stays....my one piece of real bling. Also, wanted to go "non-Shimano" wherever possible on the bike.

At 6800 miles now, I like most everything about the crankset. Chainring life and shifting is great. But have noticed some torsional flex (twisting) in the crankarms when the bike is static and I'm pushing down hard on the pedals. It's nothing I've noticed on the road, but believe the new Ultegra/DA would be stiffer.

dhk said:
Rudy, I have the FSA team carbon triple on my custom frame. I got it because it was lighter than the DA 9 sp triple, and went well with the CF rear stays....my one piece of real bling. Also, wanted to go "non-Shimano" wherever possible on the bike.

At 6800 miles now, I like most everything about the crankset. Chainring life and shifting is great. But have noticed some torsional flex (twisting) in the crankarms when the bike is static and I'm pushing down hard on the pedals. It's nothing I've noticed on the road, but believe the new Ultegra/DA would be stiffer.

Hey Dan!! long time , how ya doing?

Yes I have been doing some reading..and the DA10 is a consideration. So is the FSA Team Carbon and a the so called Stronglight Pulsion.

I have a feeling that the DA is the best performer of the bunch with a 100+g drop in weight from the Ult10.

I think the BB is where I need to be careful....

Still like the FSA Pro Team, but just wanted to make the comment that it's likely not as stiff as the Shimano cranks. Have you seen any actual data on flex on these?

My frame has the Megatech OS BB with ISIS Ti spindle. If the MegaEXO BB system will fit your frame, you could go with that and the Team Pro crankset. On the black CR1, agree the Pro Team Carbon crankset would be great complement to the frame. Looks are a consideration, don't think you'd notice any flex, and as I said I like non-Shimano wherever possible. Decisions, decisions....at this level, it all works.

dhk said:
Still like the FSA Pro Team, but just wanted to make the comment that it's likely not as stiff as the Shimano cranks. Have you seen any actual data on flex on these?

NoI haven't seen any data thus my reasons for this post.

As much as I'd like the black carbon color on a black frame, I won't compromise on the performance...so I may go with the DA.

Rudy said:
NoI haven't seen any data thus my reasons for this post.

As much as I'd like the black carbon color on a black frame, I won't compromise on the performance...so I may go with the DA.
I haven't used Ultegra or DA but just installed FSA MegaExo (integrated BB - 740grams) and found noticable improvement in stiffness and power generated over Campy Chorus cranks/ (2003). Pricy, but I'm very happy.

Thanks all for your input. I just decided to take the safe route and went with DA 10 crankset.

While the FSA Team looks good, the ISIS BB etc.. just makes me nervous :)