FSA Carbon Cranks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cyclepath, Apr 12, 2004.

1. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact or the Superlight cranksets? FSA states that using the Carbon Elite with 50/34 will give a wider ratio than a standard 53/39 setup with the same cogsets. I live in San Francisco Bay Area where there are a lot of hills. I currently use a 12/27 cassette on a bike when I train on hills. Will I sacrifice anything by going to a 50/34 setup? Will I loose top end speed when I'm on the 50 and 12 or 13 combination in the rear cogs? What are the other disadvantages with this setup? I was going to save some cash for the Superlights with the standard 53/39 rings but wanted to see if anyone has any advice or experience with the Carbon Elites. I was considering the Octalink models since I didn't want to convert to ISIS.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Well certainly you loose some top end speed with a 50 ring, if you are able to spin out a 12 or 13 with a 53. If you can't, then there is nothing lost.

3. froteur

froteur New Member

Based on my LBS's recommendation, I opted for that exact FSA crankset on my new bike. I've had the bike for about a month and a half but just got the new cranks last week (the cranks were back ordered) so I had a chance to ride a 53(?)/39 - with 12/25 rear cassette - before my new cranks came in. So far I think they are great! I was considering a triple for the lower gearing (I live in the San Francisco East Bay - where are you exactly?) but, based on the gear charts, I get almost the same number of "useful" gears with the compact as I would have with the triple (I think it is two less). Granted, I have to do more double shifting with the compact but, so far, that has not been an issue. I ride Campy so I can go two or three or four or more gears on the rear with a single stroke of the lever.

I don't have my computer mounted yet but, anecdotally, I know I had a much easier time this week when I rode "The Bears" in the Briones Park area. Not that I was "spinning" (I'm not that strong of a rider - yet(?)) but it was nice to have the lower gearing going up the hills. Also, I was able to stay right on the wheel of one of my riding partners this Sunday on a short climb that he would have dropped me on if I still had the 39.

On the flip side, I haven't spun out the 50 yet but I'm pretty cautious coming downhill anyway. If I'm going fast enough to spin out the 50/12, I'm probably ready to apply the brakes anyway. I did hit one descent the other day when I wished that I had the 53 but I think I can give up the 53 to have the lower gearing with the 34.

Lastly, I went with the compact instead of the triple because it is way lighter. I think somewhere around 200 grams or so.

Hope that helps

4. rv

rv New Member

I have the fsa compact crankset and like it very much; I've been riding it since mid-december. its hilly here...5% 5-mile climbs, 8% 3-mile climbs, some 15 - 18% for a quarter to half mile. I use a 11/23 cassette. once I spin out the 11 on a downhill, pedaling doesn't do any good...just tuck in and zoom.

5. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

Thanks froteur. Your info really helps. I'm in San Francisco but do much of my riding over in the Marin\North Bay area. I was more concerned about spinning out of the 50/12 combo. I do use my 53/12 on a rare occasion and would hate to lose that ratio. I think Tyler Hamilton was given a set of FSA Compact cranks after he fractured his collarbone in last year's TDF in the 1st stage. On his setup the chainrings were 52/36. I think that would be a nice setup for someone like me. I don't think it is available as a option but I'm going to email them and ask.

Thanks once again for your response.

6. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

I also have the FSA Carbon Compact (50/34) and live in the Bay Area (East Bay) and really love it. So far, since putting it last November, never had any problems of gearing combo. Since I do a lot of weekend climbs on Mt Diablo, investing on this compact crank is worth every single penny.

7. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

Hey froteur, where are you in the Bay Area, maybe we can hookup a ride this weekend... I'm just a few short miles away from 'The Bears' and MtDiablo is sort of 'in my backyard'... BTW, I live in Walnut Creek.

8. dhk

dhk New Member

I looked at the compact setup for my new frame, but went with the FSA Carbon Pro triple. With the 34 vs 39, was afraid I'd have to shift chainrings too much in pacelines on rolling hills. Also, wanted the lower gears that the 30 would give while still keeping a tighter cogset.

The simplicity and lightweight of the compact was tempting though. The triple was a little tougher to set up, since the cable tension is what holds the FD on the middle ring, but once set, FSA triple does shift great with the DA 9 sp FD.

9. froteur

froteur New Member

cyclepath: You're welcome. You ever make it over to the East Bay to ride?

10. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

Never been out that way but I may try Mt. Diablo one day. I still haven't even tried Mt. Tam on my road bike yet.

BTW, if any is interested, I contacted FSA about 52 and 36 chainrings for the Compact Elite. They are $50 and $36 respectively. I wonder why they don't offer that as an option? It seems like a good range without sacrificing too much off the high and low ends.

11. froteur

froteur New Member

tangoman: i sent you a private message the other day re: riding. did you get it? you can contact me at [email protected]. i'd love to hook up for a ride!

12. froteur

froteur New Member

i just started riding so i haven't had the chance to hit mt diablo yet. might do so in the next week or two though.

i think the 52/36 option would be a nice one to have. might go that route as i ride more and (hopefully) get stronger.