FSA Carbon Pro COMPACT cranks

SWOBOS

Nov 14, 2003
All:

Interested in people's experiences using FSA's Carbon Pro Compact cranks. Do they help with one's climbing? Are people using them to race and are they a better alternative to a racing triple ring? Trying to find that extra edge in races with long hard climbs.

Thanks I really appreciate any and all comments on the subject.

thx, richard

Originally posted by SWOBOS
All:

Interested in people's experiences using FSA's Carbon Pro Compact cranks. Do they help with one's climbing? Are people using them to race and are they a better alternative to a racing triple ring? Trying to find that extra edge in races with long hard climbs.

Thanks I really appreciate any and all comments on the subject.

thx, richard
Why don't you check a gear inch chart? Sheldon Brown has one at www.harriscyclery.com the question as asked has no answer without knowing what you currently use, among other variables. Tyler used his in tough climb stages,not the whole race.

if you order the "standard-off-the-shelf" , it will have 50/34 chainrings. I just received mine, but haven't installed it yet (my Christmas holiday project). You can figure the gear-inches and compare it to other chainring combos. the setup tyler used had the same cranks, but 52/36 chainrings.

I began another thread with almost the same title. its buried down a few pages, but some users responded with good input. look for it.

I have had the Compact on for a couple of hundred miles, it is better for the uneven terrain, and hillls here, and, not being a strong rider, it allows me to keep a higher cadence overall, I actually also have a new 11/23 cassett, which parses ratios closer, again, useful to maintain optimal cadence. For me, it was well worth the price ! It is easy to change the teeth numbers built into the STI computer, so, the readout stays accurate.