FSA Compact Crank w/Campy problem

Ben Hughes

Guest
I am trying to set up a SRM FSA compact crank (50/34) on a Campy drivetrain.

I can't seem to get the front to shift from the small chain ring to the
large ring unless the chain is on the larger rear cogs (I'm using a 11 - 23
cassette). In the two smallest cogs the chain seems to get pushed into the
back of the 50T chain ring and never shifts up.

I have tried the Campy Compact FD, and a standard Record FD -- the standard
works better, but not good enough. We have also tried using a Campy chain
and a Wipperman, and that did not help. We've tried all of the usual cable
adjustments; cable tension, limits, Nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions? We are stumped.

Ben

"Ben Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am trying to set up a SRM FSA compact crank (50/34) on a Campy
>drivetrain.
>
> I can't seem to get the front to shift from the small chain ring to the
> large ring unless the chain is on the larger rear cogs (I'm using a 11 -
> 23 cassette). In the two smallest cogs the chain seems to get pushed into
> the back of the 50T chain ring and never shifts up.
>
> I have tried the Campy Compact FD, and a standard Record FD -- the
> standard works better, but not good enough. We have also tried using a
> Campy chain and a Wipperman, and that did not help. We've tried all of
> the usual cable adjustments; cable tension, limits, Nothing seems to work.
>
> Any suggestions? We are stumped.
>
> Ben

I have an FSA Carbon Compact set up (ISIS) on a Colnago C-40 and a Gunnar
Crosshairs. One has a standard Record front and the other a Record Compact
front. Both work very well. Both have Wipperman chains.

Do you have a rational chain length? Is the FD correct angled to the chain
rings?

Jeffrey

We got it to work a little better by slightly toe-ing out the FD, and
raising the FD about 1mm (recommended by FSA) However under hard riding it
is still difficult shifting from the small ring to the larger from the 11 or
12 gear on the cassette. I am not sure if the SRM FSA compact is different
than the std. FSA compact that you have.

This still works best with a standard record FD; the compact FD worked very
poorly.

Ben

"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ben Hughes" <benhughes AT earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I am trying to set up a SRM FSA compact crank (50/34) on a Campy
>>drivetrain.
>>
>> I can't seem to get the front to shift from the small chain ring to the
>> large ring unless the chain is on the larger rear cogs (I'm using a 11 -
>> 23 cassette). In the two smallest cogs the chain seems to get pushed into
>> the back of the 50T chain ring and never shifts up.
>>
>> I have tried the Campy Compact FD, and a standard Record FD -- the
>> standard works better, but not good enough. We have also tried using a
>> Campy chain and a Wipperman, and that did not help. We've tried all of
>> the usual cable adjustments; cable tension, limits, Nothing seems to
>> work.
>>
>> Any suggestions? We are stumped.
>>
>> Ben

> I have an FSA Carbon Compact set up (ISIS) on a Colnago C-40 and a Gunnar
> Crosshairs. One has a standard Record front and the other a Record
> Compact front. Both work very well. Both have Wipperman chains.
>
> Do you have a rational chain length? Is the FD correct angled to the
> chain rings?
>
> Jeffrey

Generous toe-out is often helpful with compact set ups. Mine are set up to
push out fairly hard and far, stopping just short of overshifting the big
ring (determined experimentally). No need to be ginger about it.

I find little difference between the compact and standard FD's myself, but
others agree with you. Mine will climb and drop in any combo without
complaint. I suspect the chain rings are identical, but many people
complain about them being soft and shifting a bit iffy. A Stronglight or
other replacement ring might have better engagement ramps.

Jeffrey

news:p[email protected]...