FSA Compact Cranks with Campy

RapDaddyo

May 17, 2005
I'm running a Campy Chorus double 10 drivetrain (175mm) and I want to go to a compact crank for a hillclimb TT. Campy has a compact crank, but it is only offered with 172.5mm crank arms for the 34/50 chainrings. Their 175mm version is 36/50. I would rather go with 34/50. FSA has a couple of models of 34/50-175mm. Obviously, the BB will have to be changed if I go with FSA. What about the front derailleur? What about the rear derailleur and cogset? Does anybody have experience with the FSA compact cranks and Campy front derailleur and rear derailleur/cogset?

RapDaddyo said:
I'm running a Campy Chorus double 10 drivetrain (175mm) and I want to go to a compact crank for a hillclimb TT. Campy has a compact crank, but it is only offered with 172.5mm crank arms for the 34/50 chainrings. Their 175mm version is 36/50. I would rather go with 34/50. FSA has a couple of models of 34/50-175mm. Obviously, the BB will have to be changed if I go with FSA. What about the front derailleur? What about the rear derailleur and cogset? Does anybody have experience with the FSA compact cranks and Campy front derailleur and rear derailleur/cogset?
You don't need to change anything with the FSA. also don't know why you couldn't go with the campy 36/50 and then just change the 36 ring for the 34.

boudreaux said:
You don't need to change anything with the FSA. also don't know why you couldn't go with the campy 36/50 and then just change the 36 ring for the 34.
Now, that's a good idea. Thanks.

RapDaddyo said:
Now, that's a good idea. Thanks.
my wife runs the FSA 36-50 (bought 36 ring seperate) on her Campy with no problems. (running ultegra bb - nice and cheap). I might try the compact front deralier from campy to try and it seem if there is a diff. I am doubting it but worth a try for $75.

I am running the same FSA 36-50 with my Duraace with no problems either and i have the standard front derailer.

I definitly like the compact in the mtns here in CO. run a 11-23 or 11-21 rear cassette depending on your cadence preference.