FSA compact crankset question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jj1075, May 27, 2004.

  1. jj1075

    jj1075 Guest

    I was wanting to go from an Ultegra triple to an FSA carbon compact double.
    Will I need to switch front or rear derailleurs? Or anything else for that
    matter?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jeff Jackson

    Tags:

  2. jj1075-<< I was wanting to go from an Ultegra triple to an FSA carbon compact
    double.
    Will I need to switch front or rear derailleurs? Or anything else for that
    matter? >><BR><BR>

    Nothing needed to change excpet the BB(109.5 if octalink, 108mm if ISIS used)
    and perhaps chain length. The FSA will work fine with both ders, even if the
    triple version.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:55:38 -0700, "jj1075"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was wanting to go from an Ultegra triple to an FSA carbon compact double.
    >Will I need to switch front or rear derailleurs? Or anything else for that
    >matter?

    I think your Ultegra Triple front derailleur will work but a DA 7700
    double will work better.

  4. Gonzo Bob

    Gonzo Bob Guest

    You'll also need to lower your front derailer by about 2mm for each
    tooth decrement - i.e. if you go from 52T to 50T, lower the front
    derailer by about 4mm.

    --

  5. jj1075

    jj1075 Guest

    >>Nothing needed to change excpet the BB(109.5 if octalink, 108mm if ISIS
    used)
    and perhaps chain length. The FSA will work fine with both ders, even if the
    triple version.<<

    >>I think your Ultegra Triple front derailleur will work but a DA 7700

    double will work better.<<

    >>You'll also need to lower your front derailer by about 2mm for each

    tooth decrement - i.e. if you go from 52T to 50T, lower the front
    derailer by about 4mm.<<

    Thanks for the answers and fine advice, all. I'm gonna do it.

    Jeff Jackson

  6. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > jj1075-<< I was wanting to go from an Ultegra triple to an FSA

    carbon compact
    > double.
    > Will I need to switch front or rear derailleurs? Or anything

    else for that
    > matter? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Nothing needed to change excpet the BB(109.5 if octalink, 108mm

    if ISIS used)
    > and perhaps chain length. The FSA will work fine with both

    ders, even if the
    > triple version.

    Also, if you go with the Platinum Pro Ti or Platinum Pro bottom
    bracket, the cups are a "structural" part of the bottom bracket,
    meaning that they snug against the bearings cartridges and hold
    them tight against the center sleeve. You need to grease the
    rubber seal on the inside of the cups so that they slip over the
    bearing cartridges and hold them in place. If they do not seat
    properly, you will get some rocking, like the BB is loose. It is
    a somewhat odd design in my book. -- Jay Beattie.

  7. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "jj1075" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | >>Nothing needed to change excpet the BB(109.5 if octalink, 108mm if
    ISIS
    | used)
    | and perhaps chain length. The FSA will work fine with both ders, even
    if the
    | triple version.<<
    |
    | >>I think your Ultegra Triple front derailleur will work but a DA 7700
    | double will work better.<<
    |
    | >>You'll also need to lower your front derailer by about 2mm for each
    | tooth decrement - i.e. if you go from 52T to 50T, lower the front
    | derailer by about 4mm.<<
    |
    | Thanks for the answers and fine advice, all. I'm gonna do it.

    I'm interested in hearing your results after swapping the crank.
    If you are going to also switch the derailleurs, It would be interesting
    to do that last and try the Ultegra triple, then the D/A to compare the
    difference.

    I'd have thought a triple would handle a 30/50 chainring better since
    that's a big 20 tooth swing.

    Also interested in how the STI lever shifts the compact.

    Good luck

  8. jj1075

    jj1075 Guest

    >>I'm interested in hearing your results after swapping the crank.
    If you are going to also switch the derailleurs, It would be interesting
    to do that last and try the Ultegra triple, then the D/A to compare the
    difference.

    I'd have thought a triple would handle a 30/50 chainring better since
    that's a big 20 tooth swing.

    Also interested in how the STI lever shifts the compact.

    Good luck<<

    I'll let you know via a posting in this group in a few weeks. I am going to
    keep the triple derailleurs. I'd like to keep the rupture in my wallet down
    to a minimum.

    Jeff Jackson