FSA Crank and BB

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scottw44, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Hi There:

    I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.

    My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus.

    Opinions please on how this compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and what differences I can
    expect to see.

    tia,

    scott

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. scott-<< I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.

    My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus. << Opinions please on how this
    compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and what differences I can expect to see.

    The only difference you will see will be 'what you see'...no performance differences at all...

    Both are efficient, light, well made stuff.

  3. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:n9%[email protected]...
    > Hi There:
    >
    > I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.
    >
    > My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus.
    >
    > Opinions please on how this compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and what differences I can
    > expect to see.
    >
    > tia,

    You can see differences in manufacture and finish but it will not make any difference whatsoever in
    your performance!

  4. About $200 difference in prices, or more.

    "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:n9%[email protected]...
    > Hi There:
    >
    > I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.
    >
    > My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus.
    >
    > Opinions please on how this compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and what differences I can
    > expect to see.
    >
    > tia,
    >
    > scott
    >
    > [email protected]

  5. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Thanks folks for the opinions. I have Campy Daytona 10 speed on my bike and became enamored
    with the FSA.

    I am soon in need of a BB, and was considering getting a new crank at the same time.

    Knowing that I have a Daytona Crank, would the FSA be an improvement over it?

    Should I get a Chorus Crank w/ my new BB...or is that pretty much what I have minus a few grams?

    OK, BB's...I think I like the FSA titanium Isis, which is about the same dollars as a RECORD bb. Am
    I thinking in the right direction?

    Do we like one over another...or perhaps even another contender?

    tia,

    scott

    > scottw44-<< I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.
    >
    > My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus. << Opinions please on how this
    > compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and
    what
    > differences I can expect to see.

    > The only difference you will see will be 'what you see'...no performance differences at all...
    >
    > Both are efficient, light, well made stuff.

  6. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Peter and all...

    What I am looking to accomplish is efficiency and have heard from several that a change in crank and
    bb would achieve this.

    As this seemed a bit odd, I turned to the group for answers.

    My tpical rides are 50-80 miles, 20-23 mph, and I am looking at avenues to increase efficiency and
    power transfer.

    From the results, it seems the consensus is that such a crank and bb change will cost dollars, but
    not improve my performance. Would that be correct?

    The reason I ask is sveral in my Saturday group recently made this change and they all seem to be
    flying these past few weeks. I am trying to determine if it is a placebo effect or a realized
    benefit from the change.

    scott

    [email protected]

  7. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Scott W? writes:

    > What I am looking to accomplish is efficiency and have heard from several that a change in crank
    > and BB would achieve this.

    Don't let these guys intimidate you. Ask them how this should alter your efficiency.

    > As this seemed a bit odd, I turned to the group for answers.

    I see you ask fairly anonymously. These equipment faithful have got you under their spell already.

    > My typical rides are 50-80 miles, 20-23 mph, and I am looking at avenues to increase efficiency
    > and power transfer.

    That is irrelevant. Where is the energy that is being sapped from your output being lost? That
    is the appropriate question. What would change if you rode the same course with a different BB
    and cranks?

    > From the results, it seems the consensus is that such a crank and BB change will cost dollars, but
    > not improve my performance. Would that be correct?

    Let's back up one question. Where is the inefficiency occurring and how does the power dissipate if
    it's not getting into the chain and to the rear wheel?

    > The reason I ask is several in my Saturday group recently made this change and they all seem to be
    > flying these past few weeks. I am trying to determine if it is a placebo effect or a realized
    > benefit from the change.

    My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
    attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when driving
    down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar effect.

  8. Velocat

    Velocat Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >>The reason I ask is several in my Saturday group recently made this change and they all seem to be
    >>flying these past few weeks. I am trying to determine if it is a placebo effect or a realized
    >>benefit from the change.
    >

    > My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
    > attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when driving
    > down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar effect.

    And what is wrong with that? This actually brings up a good question. Is there a placebo training
    effect from spending money on your equipment? Does buying that new bike really make you feel like
    riding more and/or harder? Do those cool looking boutique wheels give you some
    psychological boost that actually results in performance improvement? Would you get the same
    improvement (or decline) if someone gave you the new equipment or does the act of spending
    money help?

    My own personal experience would suggest that there may be a fleeting placebo effect. If I buy
    something new and I feel better while riding, it can actually lead to training harder and making
    real improvements. It's sort of a plecebo booster effect.

    Just my $0.02...

    Dave Andersen

  9. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:zf%[email protected]...

    > My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
    > attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when driving
    > down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar effect.

    Thanks...this is exactly my fear and I am far from afluent. Buying these cranks means no new shrubs
    for the house so it's not as if money is no object for me.

    scott

  10. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    Jobst said...
    > > My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
    > > attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when
    > > driving down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar
    > > effect.

    So Dave said...
    > And what is wrong with that? This actually brings up a good question. Is there a placebo training
    > effect from spending money on your equipment? Does buying that new bike really make you feel like
    > riding more and/or harder? Do those cool looking boutique wheels give you some
    > psychological boost that actually results in performance improvement? Would you get the same
    > improvement (or decline) if someone gave you the new equipment or does the act of spending
    > money help?
    >
    > My own personal experience would suggest that there may be a fleeting placebo effect. If I buy
    > something new and I feel better while riding, it can actually lead to training harder and making
    > real improvements. It's sort of a plecebo booster effect.
    >
    > Just my $0.02...
    >
    > Dave Andersen

    Unfortunately, the placebo effect tends to wear off if you know it is a placebo. If you want it to
    work, you have to somehow convince yourself that the treatment is actually doing something. Maybe
    your second point is more relevant - you tend to use your equipment when it is functioning properly
    (or when you think it is).

    I don't know why people think spending loads of money will make them ride much faster - elite
    athletes excepted. I admit to being a hacker, but it feels good to overtake people on bikes that
    cost five times as much... of course there are some riders that blast past me on their pricey
    bikes... (must be the bike, I tell myself ;) ).

    Ritch.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, VeloCat <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > >>The reason I ask is several in my Saturday group recently made this change and they all seem to
    > >>be flying these past few weeks. I am trying to determine if it is a placebo effect or a realized
    > >>benefit from the change.
    > >

    > > My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
    > > attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when
    > > driving down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar
    > > effect.
    > >

    > And what is wrong with that? This actually brings up a good question. Is there a placebo training
    > effect from spending money on your equipment? Does buying that new bike really make you feel like
    > riding more and/or harder? Do those cool looking boutique wheels give you some
    > psychological boost that actually results in performance improvement? Would you get the same
    > improvement (or decline) if someone gave you the new equipment or does the act of spending
    > money help?
    >
    > My own personal experience would suggest that there may be a fleeting placebo effect. If I buy
    > something new and I feel better while riding, it can actually lead to training harder and making
    > real improvements. It's sort of a plecebo booster effect.
    >
    > Just my $0.02...
    >
    > Dave Andersen

    Dave, have I got a product for you!

    The Placeboton speed boosters may look like ordinary bike computer magnets, but they are much more.
    By inducing a flux vortex around the spinning wheels, they actually increase your acceleration and
    top speed. This works by affecting your mind such that you feel faster, which improves your
    performance, in some cases by over 10% in a short TT.

    Our satisfied customers included celebrity endorser Fabrizio Mazzoleni, who used this product when
    he won the 2002 Tour de Reves.

    The price is only US$150 per kit, but please note that quantities are limited, and for best results
    you should purchase one kit per wheel you need to prepare.

    We are also about to introduce the Placeboton Ti edition, which Fabrizio is testing for us with
    great results in his early-season work. Call now to be put on the waiting list.

    Finally, while the stock Placeboton and Placeboton Ti do not work with Trispoke, disc, Spinergy, or
    similar non-spoke wheels, we now have an adapter kit that sells for just $25.

    Operators are standing by,

  12. Face it, this is cycling and good drugs help more than anything else!

    Carbon everywhere is a good start. However, it can only be appreciated after the first course
    of EPO....

    > scott-<< What I am looking to accomplish is efficiency and have heard from several that a change
    > in crank and bb would achieve this.
    >
    > Sorry, crank/BB won't do this, won't be any more effcient...
    >
    > Any smooth BB and well shifting crank/rings will be 'efficient'. I'm
    surprised
    > anybody would actually say anoither crank or BB would be more 'efficient'
    than
    > another. Ring selection is far more important.
    >

    > << My tpical rides are 50-80 miles, 20-23 mph, and I am looking at avenues
    > increase efficiency and power transfer.
    >
    > Pedal choice, bicycle fit, good training and nutrition, not equipment-
    >

    > << From the results, it seems the consensus is that such a crank and bb
    change
    > will cost dollars, but not improve my performance. Would that be correct?
    >
    > That is correct.
    >

    > << The reason I ask is sveral in my Saturday group recently made this
    change
    > and they all seem to be flying these past few weeks.
    >
    > Their crank didn't do this, regardless of what they say...

  13. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Peter:

    Thank you very much. I am a man of meager means. One income family, sick wife, company I worked for
    went out of business last year, blah blah.

    I am far from rich, heck I have a p/time job to pay for my cycling needs.

    I was once very heavy and turned to cycling to save myself. In July 01, satisfied w/ my weight loss,
    I bought a Torelli Countachw/ Daytona components and have jst over 14k miles on her.

    Not being a cycling expert, I was wondering how it can be that cranks and bb can incrwase
    efficiency. I am hearing that it can't, and will be delighted to put the money into things we need
    for the house.

    thanks again,

    scott