FSA Crank incompatible w/Shimano Drivetrain

sleeeepguy

Jun 13, 2007
My wife just picked up her new Specialized Roubaix Pro with FSA cranks and Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace Drive train. The Shifts are not smooth and chain drops have occured a few times on first ride. We took it back for adjustments and after a few miles it's happening again. could the FSA cranks spacing and such be incompatible with the Ulteg/Dura ace duraileurs?
Thank you :confused:

Yes, fit a Shimano DA or Ultegra grade Crankset and all the problems will go away! ;)

Okay here's the deal...after much research and the help of Rob at Pedal Sports in Oakland, NJ,

The Deal:
Got a prob shifting the front rings of an FSA crank with Shimano DA or ULT derals.. it could be the FSA chainrings are not the latest version. Meaning, Shimano may have made a small change in sprockets/chains etc and FSA didn't get the email. Specialized was sitting on an old"er" FSA crank and chainrings and the smoothness is gone! The shop called FSA gave them the FSA chainring numbers and found it was not the "latest" iteration and immediately sent out replacements. I think we are on the right track.

Thanks Rob at Pedal Sports in Oakland, NJ!

tfstrum said:
He's kidding. It doesn't sound like everythings aligned or adjusted right. I had a bad chainring on an FSA a couple of years ago and the chain would skip. Didn't fall off though.

There is a recall. Check yours against this.

http://www.bikemag.com/features/onlineexclusive/Cdale-Crank-Recall/

Before you fit the new chainrings, remove the chain and wash off ALL the grease, a kero bath is good, and clean the inside surfaces of the front deraillleur cage. Relube with INOX or a fine chain spray/oil.

My vote is still with a new Shimano Crankset. :D