FSA Crank Opinions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Lambi, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Eric Lambi

    Eric Lambi Guest

    Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

    I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
    one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.

    The AL Compact has not been around long enough for anyone to have an opinion yet, but what about the
    other FSA Aluminum cranks. Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in terms
    of flex or shifting quality? Basically wondering if there is anything bad about these cranksets
    compared to their Shimano counterparts.

    And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the
    extra $150 with the carbon crank? I don't think so, but if you have an alternative opinion, I'd
    like to hear it.

    Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
    about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.

    Thanks!

    Eric Lambi [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 12 Feb 2004 07:45:52 -0800, [email protected] (Eric Lambi)
    wrote:

    >Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
    >about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.

    I have FSA Compact Pro on one bike, Stronglight Granfundo on another, Sugino XD (used as a double)
    on my wife's bike, and an old Specialized cold forged 110 bolt (probably made by Sugino and used as
    double) on my tandem.

    That's $350 down to <$75. They work the same. If you are using indexed STI, a ramped/pinned big ring
    is a good idea.

    Pick is a Sugino XD which I think can be had from <http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx.html> and
    <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html#11074>

    Good finds would be something like a Shimano XT 730, which is a 110 bolt pattern MTB crank. If you
    are into a classic 110 double crank, I have a Sugino Mity Tour x 170 mm in new condition for sale.

    I think that the plastic crank is the least robust of the bunch. The FSA rings are excellent.

  3. eric-<< Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in terms of flex or shifting
    quality? >><BR><BR>

    No and no..If ya get any, use a ISIS BB, not the octalink.

    eric<< Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me
    know about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many. >><BR><BR>

    Ritchey, TA, Stronglight and Sugino all make one.

  4. Kyle.B.H

    Kyle.B.H Guest

    There are a lot of NOS Shimano RSX 110 BCD cranks on Ebay these days - to be had for $20-$40. I have
    two of them and they crank as advertised.

    Kyle

    "Eric Lambi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
    >
    > I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
    > one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.
    >
    > The AL Compact has not been around long enough for anyone to have an opinion yet, but what about
    > the other FSA Aluminum cranks. Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in
    > terms of flex or shifting quality? Basically wondering if there is anything bad about these
    > cranksets compared to their Shimano counterparts.
    >
    > And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the extra
    > $150 with the carbon crank? I don't think so, but if you have an alternative opinion, I'd like to
    > hear it.
    >
    > Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
    > about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Eric Lambi [email protected]

  5. Greg Lewis

    Greg Lewis Guest

    There was some messages posted on the velonews board about them. They are listed as having a 150mm
    Q-Factor. One rider found they hurt his knees until he moved his cleats out to compensate. He sold
    the cranks, and the person he sold them to developed knee problems too. The latter person said he
    measured the Q-Factor as 152mm. If you are very sensitive to width they may be a problem. Current
    Campy's are suposed to be 147mm Q-Factor but my 1999 9-speed chorus measure 145mm.

    I looked at Stronglights, Raceface and the one that is spell soumething like TruEvita . I bought a
    pair of TA zephers compacts because they are the only compacts I could find in 165mm. Wierd thing
    about them, is the TA serius chainrings I bought with them has the little pin to prevent the chain
    from becomming stuck between the arm and the ring in the wrong place.

    [email protected] (Eric Lambi) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
    >
    > I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
    > one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.
    >
    > The AL Compact has not been around long enough for anyone to have an opinion yet, but what about
    > the other FSA Aluminum cranks. Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in
    > terms of flex or shifting quality? Basically wondering if there is anything bad about these
    > cranksets compared to their Shimano counterparts.
    >
    > And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the extra
    > $150 with the carbon crank? I don't think so, but if you have an alternative opinion, I'd like to
    > hear it.
    >
    > Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
    > about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Eric Lambi [email protected]

  6. Dion Dock

    Dion Dock Guest

    The black anodized color is going to wear off the aluminum crank and look pretty ugly in the
    process. It is a lot cheaper though.

    -Dion

    "Eric Lambi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
    >
    > I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
    > one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.
    >
    > The AL Compact has not been around long enough for anyone to have an opinion yet, but what about
    > the other FSA Aluminum cranks. Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in
    > terms of flex or shifting quality? Basically wondering if there is anything bad about these
    > cranksets compared to their Shimano counterparts.
    >
    > And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the extra
    > $150 with the carbon crank? I don't think so, but if you have an alternative opinion, I'd like to
    > hear it.
    >
    > Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
    > about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Eric Lambi [email protected]

  7. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Eric Lambi writes:

    > Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

    I think this is in the wrong newsgroup.

    > I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
    > one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.

    However,

    "I was thinking about buying a Hummer but decided it'd be cheaper to get a tattoo on my forehead
    that says "I need attention."

    Craig Kilborn.

    may be appropriate.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  8. [email protected] wrote:
    : However,
    :
    : "I was thinking about buying a Hummer but decided it'd be cheaper to get a tattoo on my forehead
    : that says "I need attention."
    :
    : Craig Kilborn.
    :
    : may be appropriate.
    :
    : Jobst Brandt [email protected]

    ok. that was damn funny.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  9. Eric Holeman

    Eric Holeman Guest

    In article <[email protected]g.google.com>,
    Eric Lambi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the extra
    >$150 with the carbon crank?

    $2 per lost gram, and it looks cool too? Sounds like a bargain to me!!!

    --
    ---
    Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

  10. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    I have tried both the FSA carbon compact and the FSA afterburner (hollow alum.) in ISIS and the
    hollow one is plenty stiff (180# of me standing) And FSA has honest weights (via ohaus). Last check
    I was back ordered on the energy. Tom

    --
    Bruni Bicycles
    "Where art meets science"
    Eric Holeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Eric Lambi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and
    > >75g less mass for the extra $150 with the carbon crank?
    >
    > $2 per lost gram, and it looks cool too? Sounds like a bargain to me!!!
    >
    > --
    > ---
    > Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

  11. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 12 Feb 2004 16:37:47 -0800, [email protected] (Greg Lewis)
    wrote:

    >There was some messages posted on the velonews board about them. They are listed as having a 150mm
    >Q-Factor. One rider found they hurt his knees until he moved his cleats out to compensate. He sold
    >the cranks, and the person he sold them to developed knee problems too. The latter person said he
    >measured the Q-Factor as 152mm. If you are very sensitive to width they may be a problem. Current
    >Campy's are suposed to be 147mm Q-Factor but my 1999 9-speed chorus measure 145mm.

    I got my FSA crankset from someone who rode one ride and hated the 'Q' for being too wide. I don't
    know what the actual factor is. I usually put 3 mm washers in before pedals to increase the Q. With
    the FSA, I just didn't use them.

    On the other hand, the Sugino Mity Tour crank that I'm trying to sell ahs the narrowest feeling Q.
    It's so narrow, that I could actually feel it.