FSA Crank Opinions

Eric Lambi

Guest
Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.

The AL Compact has not been around long enough for anyone to have an opinion yet, but what about the
other FSA Aluminum cranks. Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in terms
of flex or shifting quality? Basically wondering if there is anything bad about these cranksets
compared to their Shimano counterparts.

And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the
extra $150 with the carbon crank? I don't think so, but if you have an alternative opinion, I'd
like to hear it.

Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.

Thanks!

Eric Lambi [email protected]

On 12 Feb 2004 07:45:52 -0800, [email protected] (Eric Lambi)
wrote:

>Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
>about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.

I have FSA Compact Pro on one bike, Stronglight Granfundo on another, Sugino XD (used as a double)
on my wife's bike, and an old Specialized cold forged 110 bolt (probably made by Sugino and used as
double) on my tandem.

That's $350 down to <$75. They work the same. If you are using indexed STI, a ramped/pinned big ring
is a good idea.

Pick is a Sugino XD which I think can be had from <http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx.html> and
<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html#11074>

Good finds would be something like a Shimano XT 730, which is a 110 bolt pattern MTB crank. If you
are into a classic 110 double crank, I have a Sugino Mity Tour x 170 mm in new condition for sale.

I think that the plastic crank is the least robust of the bunch. The FSA rings are excellent.

eric-<< Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in terms of flex or shifting
quality? >><BR><BR>

No and no..If ya get any, use a ISIS BB, not the octalink.

eric<< Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me
know about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many. >><BR><BR>

Ritchey, TA, Stronglight and Sugino all make one.

There are a lot of NOS Shimano RSX 110 BCD cranks on Ebay these days - to be had for $20-$40. I have
two of them and they crank as advertised.

Kyle

"Eric Lambi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
>
> I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
> one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.
>
> The AL Compact has not been around long enough for anyone to have an opinion yet, but what about
> the other FSA Aluminum cranks. Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in
> terms of flex or shifting quality? Basically wondering if there is anything bad about these
> cranksets compared to their Shimano counterparts.
>
> And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the extra
> $150 with the carbon crank? I don't think so, but if you have an alternative opinion, I'd like to
> hear it.
>
> Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
> about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric Lambi [email protected]

There was some messages posted on the velonews board about them. They are listed as having a 150mm
Q-Factor. One rider found they hurt his knees until he moved his cleats out to compensate. He sold
the cranks, and the person he sold them to developed knee problems too. The latter person said he
measured the Q-Factor as 152mm. If you are very sensitive to width they may be a problem. Current
Campy's are suposed to be 147mm Q-Factor but my 1999 9-speed chorus measure 145mm.

I looked at Stronglights, Raceface and the one that is spell soumething like TruEvita . I bought a
pair of TA zephers compacts because they are the only compacts I could find in 165mm. Wierd thing
about them, is the TA serius chainrings I bought with them has the little pin to prevent the chain
from becomming stuck between the arm and the ring in the wrong place.

[email protected] (Eric Lambi) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello rec.bicycles.tech,
>
> I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
> one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.
>
> The AL Compact has not been around long enough for anyone to have an opinion yet, but what about
> the other FSA Aluminum cranks. Is there any noticable difference from an ultegra or DA9 crank in
> terms of flex or shifting quality? Basically wondering if there is anything bad about these
> cranksets compared to their Shimano counterparts.
>
> And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the extra
> $150 with the carbon crank? I don't think so, but if you have an alternative opinion, I'd like to
> hear it.
>
> Also, if you know of an alternative compact crankset that might be worth looking into, let me know
> about it . . . there doesn't seem to be many.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric Lambi [email protected]

The black anodized color is going to wear off the aluminum crank and look pretty ugly in the
process. It is a lot cheaper though.

-Dion

Eric Lambi writes:

> Hello rec.bicycles.tech,

I think this is in the wrong newsgroup.

> I am going to buy a compact crankset. FSA makes a carbon one that looks very cool, and an aluminum
> one that does not look so cool (FSA Energy Compact), but is much cheaper.

However,

"I was thinking about buying a Hummer but decided it'd be cheaper to get a tattoo on my forehead
that says "I need attention."

Craig Kilborn.

may be appropriate.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
Eric Lambi <[email protected]> wrote:

>And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and 75g less mass for the extra
>$150 with the carbon crank?

$2 per lost gram, and it looks cool too? Sounds like a bargain to me!!!

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

I have tried both the FSA carbon compact and the FSA afterburner (hollow alum.) in ISIS and the
hollow one is plenty stiff (180# of me standing) And FSA has honest weights (via ohaus). Last check
I was back ordered on the energy. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
Eric Holeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Eric Lambi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >And finally, do you get anything other than a cooler looking crank and
> >75g less mass for the extra $150 with the carbon crank?
>
> $2 per lost gram, and it looks cool too? Sounds like a bargain to me!!!
>
> --
> ---
> Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

On 12 Feb 2004 16:37:47 -0800, [email protected] (Greg Lewis)
wrote:

>There was some messages posted on the velonews board about them. They are listed as having a 150mm
>Q-Factor. One rider found they hurt his knees until he moved his cleats out to compensate. He sold
>the cranks, and the person he sold them to developed knee problems too. The latter person said he
>measured the Q-Factor as 152mm. If you are very sensitive to width they may be a problem. Current
>Campy's are suposed to be 147mm Q-Factor but my 1999 9-speed chorus measure 145mm.

I got my FSA crankset from someone who rode one ride and hated the 'Q' for being too wide. I don't
know what the actual factor is. I usually put 3 mm washers in before pedals to increase the Q. With
the FSA, I just didn't use them.

On the other hand, the Sugino Mity Tour crank that I'm trying to sell ahs the narrowest feeling Q.
It's so narrow, that I could actually feel it.