FSA Elite 2 piece crank

msummers

Jun 27, 2005
I noticed that the FSA caarbon pro elite is really a 2 piece crank. There is a crank arm on the drive side with a seperate carbon spider that appears to be notched to accept the crank arm. This is a pretty light set up, however, I wonder if that design is as strong and stiff as a one piece. It would seem to me that what is the advantage of a carbon crank if you give up the touted stiffness properties of the material through a 2 piece set-up. I'm trying to decide between the Mega Exo compact set up and the Elite. The Elite is definitely a 1/4 pound lighter and the ISIS BB has been improved to be consistent with Shimano. Also it's cheaper than the Mega Exo. That 2 piece crank makes me hinky about the whole affair.

mickeymike

msummers said:
I noticed that the FSA caarbon pro elite is really a 2 piece crank. There is a crank arm on the drive side with a seperate carbon spider that appears to be notched to accept the crank arm. This is a pretty light set up, however, I wonder if that design is as strong and stiff as a one piece. It would seem to me that what is the advantage of a carbon crank if you give up the touted stiffness properties of the material through a 2 piece set-up. I'm trying to decide between the Mega Exo compact set up and the Elite. The Elite is definitely a 1/4 pound lighter and the ISIS BB has been improved to be consistent with Shimano. Also it's cheaper than the Mega Exo. That 2 piece crank makes me hinky about the whole affair.

mickeymike
What you give up when you take the weight out is absolute strength. Now you must decide what is important to you. Basically 1/4 pound is insignificant as far as performance is concerned. As far as stiffness is concerned there is no difference in a properly assembled two piece crank and a one-piece crank. Between the two cranks the lighter one is about as stiff. You don't get something for nothing, something to keep in mind.