FSA Gossamer versus FSA SLK Carbon Compact

There is some question about the stiffness of cranks. Some modern cranks
aren't stiff enough and strong racers spot it pretty quickly. Most
especially sprinters. The spider will flex under high forces and the big
ring will shed teeth.

StaceyJ wrote:
> It was my understanding that the single biggest advantage of the
> MegaExo (or Hollowtech II, for that matter) was increased bearing life
> due to the larger sized balls possible by not confining the bearings to
> the BB shell. ISTR some techie guy from FSA noting that the difference
> in stiffness was negligible (even though MegaExo uses a larger BB
> spindle).
>
> SYJ

Absolutely the one main advantage, to correct the teeny ball problem of
ISIS and Octalink...But ISIS and Octalink answered no question, solved
no problem with respect to square taper..installed correctly.

So, you're saying the old school Campy square taper cranks AREN'T
inferior to the Shimano, et al, splined design cranks???

You know, I often wondered how all those crazy Campy-equipped pros
could win races on that outdated equipment.

Scott
(tongue firmly in cheek)

Scott wrote:
> So, you're saying the old school Campy square taper cranks AREN'T
> inferior to the Shimano, et al, splined design cranks???
>
> You know, I often wondered how all those crazy Campy-equipped pros
> could win races on that outdated equipment.
>
> Scott
> (tongue firmly in cheek)

Me too. Octalink answered no question/solved no problem with respect
to square taper. Some say it was lighter or stiffer and made great pains
to try to imply the old stuff was boat anchor heavy and so sloppy that
you could barley use it...but both of those things are bunk.

Octalink and ISIS is just different, a 'standard'that is now on it's
last legs as the problems with it becoming more and more evident over
time. Outboard bearings certainly address the problems of Octalink and
ISIS but again, the first didn't address qany 'problems' of square taper.

Square tapers don't break with any frequency and cranks don't fall off
of properly installed cranks.

SDK,

I am not sure what you mean when you say "I am small and have never
noticed any flex to the standard Ultegra cranks, but these do feel more
flexy
in comparison" - are you saying that Gossamers do or do not feel more
flexy that Ultegras?