FSA k-force megaexo comact cranks



veloci

New Member
May 1, 2004
66
0
0
62
i have decided to switch from my 53/39 to a 50/36 compact fSA K-force carbon crank with a 11/23 cassette. I have campy record all around.

does anyone know of any potential issues with the set up i want to switch to?

shifting quality?
anything else?

:cool:
 
veloci said:
i have decided to switch from my 53/39 to a 50/36 compact fSA K-force carbon crank with a 11/23 cassette. I have campy record all around.

does anyone know of any potential issues with the set up i want to switch to?

shifting quality?
anything else?

:cool:

I dont know about campy as I use shimano, but anyway, you just have to adjust the fd lower. That's about it, I guess. Good luck! :)
 
veloci said:
does anyone know of any potential issues with the set up i want to switch to?
:cool:

Possibly if ur using a brazed-on front derailleur it might not go low enuf. If this is the case there is a dedicated Campy brazed-on FD for compact cranks.
 
You'll most likely have to switch the F.D. as it's reach won't be correct. Look at the Campy website. That's why they make a F.D. specifically for compact geometry.



hd reynolds said:
Possibly if ur using a brazed-on front derailleur it might not go low enuf. If this is the case there is a dedicated Campy brazed-on FD for compact cranks.
 
veloci said:
i have decided to switch from my 53/39 to a 50/36 compact fSA K-force carbon crank with a 11/23 cassette. I have campy record all around.

does anyone know of any potential issues with the set up i want to switch to?

shifting quality?
anything else?

:cool:

I run that crank with dura ace. I'm using the standard dura ace FD and it shifts just fine. The FD is a clamp on, if the shop needed to move it lower to work I wouldn't have noticed.
 
remdog said:
You'll most likely have to switch the F.D. as it's reach won't be correct. Look at the Campy website. That's why they make a F.D. specifically for compact geometry.

Not necessarily remdog. The campy FD's capacity can accomodate a 50/36 and if its a clamp on he can just clamp it lower.
 
hd reynolds said:
Not necessarily remdog. The campy FD's capacity can accomodate a 50/36 and if its a clamp on he can just clamp it lower.
we will find out friday. the cranks are coming tomorrow. i will keep you posted.
 
That's interesting. So why does Campy say to use a specific FD with the compact? The website says that it's necessary to ensure proper shifting due to the smaller inner chainring.

Is it just marketing?

hd reynolds said:
Not necessarily remdog. The campy FD's capacity can accomodate a 50/36 and if its a clamp on he can just clamp it lower.
 
remdog said:
That's interesting. So why does Campy say to use a specific FD with the compact? The website says that it's necessary to ensure proper shifting due to the smaller inner chainring.

Is it just marketing?
Not just marketing. Spec is probably something like 3 mm for the gap from the bottom of the FD to the top of the teeth on the large cain ring. Because the compact rings are smaller that gap is larger (with a regular FD) and it can cause shifting problems. I've seen this problem with shimano a drive train when combined with a FSA compact crank. (The special compact FD likely hangs a little lower to be closer to the teeth of the compact chain ring.)