FSA K-wing or Easton Equipe?

kuss

Sep 17, 2004
This is for a road bike, no tris or racing, but alot of climbing and the occasional century. I'm definitely going with a carbon bar, leaning towards the Equipe but thinking about the K-wing because I might be able to get a deal... I like the traditional shape of the Equipe, just looking for input from those who have ACTUALLY used either of these bars... Any users of the new wing-style bars??? What's the verdict???

kuss said:
This is for a road bike, no tris or racing, but alot of climbing and the occasional century. I'm definitely going with a carbon bar, leaning towards the Equipe but thinking about the K-wing because I might be able to get a deal... I like the traditional shape of the Equipe, just looking for input from those who have ACTUALLY used either of these bars... Any users of the new wing-style bars??? What's the verdict???
I used an FSA K-wing bar on a Cannondale demo model the other day and was quite impressed. I was a critic of carbon bars in general until i tried these and now i want some. The only downfall i could find was that the bend at the top was quite sharp and i tended to bang my wrists on them when in the drops. This could be fixed with some careful adjustment of the bar angle/height but a little annoying nonetheless. The flat "wing" section on the top of the bars is very comfortable and quite a good hold for in-the-saddle climbing amongst other things.

kuss said:

I have been using a k-wing on my Seven for several months. I've found it very comfortable and wouldn't go back to a standard bar. There are lots of hand positions and the wing section is great while climbing. One drawback is the lack of computer mounting positions. I went with this http://www.atomicmount.com/ to mount my Polar 720. I like the setup since it gets the computer off the bars for more hand potitions.

kuss said:

I purchased the K-Wing FSA handlebar and love it. It looks great and rides even better. Varying hand placements is the key characteristic I love about the bar. The flat part right behind the brake hoods feels so comfortable on the hands. I purchased a "carbon" bar tape that adds to the look of the bar too. It's a great choice I think. Give it a chance ok.

rjcamsr said:
I have been using a k-wing on my Seven for several months. I've found it very comfortable and wouldn't go back to a standard bar. There are lots of hand positions and the wing section is great while climbing. One drawback is the lack of computer mounting positions. I went with this http://www.atomicmount.com/ to mount my Polar 720. I like the setup since it gets the computer off the bars for more hand potitions.

On the computer mounting topic, I battled with that too. I have Sigma 1200 BC wireless and I tried to stretch that rubber ring around the K-Wing and it didn't work. So I took some trusty velcro and glued it to the mount for the Sigma 1200 tried it. Well, it worked. This particular computer with the velcro alteration fits perfectly between where the stem attaches to the K-Wing and the "wing" (flat) top part of the bar. A wedge of styrofoam or rubber can be used to even out the project if the computer sits at an angle. Mine fit ok without the wedge, but........

In preparing for my shiny new bike (which comes OEM with FSA K-Wing bars) I found a neat little mount on eBay called a "ZeProEdge" (do a search for it, they're about AU$20-ish)

Haven't gotten the bike (or bars ;) ) yet to try it out, but it looks like a neat little design which doesn't require taking the watch straps off the Polar wrist unit.. good 'cause I use it as a watch in the gym and when jogging.

I looked at 'em both and ended up buying a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Anatomic.
Drop is shorter than the Zipp bars; the tops are nice and comfy; computer mounting is easy. The tops sweep forward a bit, which suits my wrists. No cosmetic fiber finish: they're a lurrrvly flat black. With only about 100 miles on 'em, they're great so far, but 100 miles isn't much of a test period.

I tried out the K-Wing, but could never find the perfect position in regards to the flat section on the tops and the brake hood placement. In the end, I removed the K-Wing and went back to my standard bar. I did enjoy the flat section for sure, but I just couldn't for the life of me find the "sweet spot". [shameless plug]I've now got a slightly used (less than 500 miles) FSA K-Wing for sale, if anyone is interested--its a 44cm. PM if interested.[/shameless plug] :D I've got the FSA Control Center computer mount that I'm not using anymore as well....

Going on 1300 miles on my K-Wing bars on a custom carbon fiber Calfee Tetra Pro I'm happy with the bars. I ride long day-trips quite often and I appreciate the feel of the flat tops. I have a Cateye Enduro with it's plastic clamp close to the stem. I've tightened it up and it works ok that way, though if I push hard on the computer I can get the mount to rotate. I am constantly moving my hands around since I spend hours on my bike. I like the different areas that I can put my hands on the bar and the hoods of my Shimano Ultegra group. For me it was a definate improvement over a round bar. I felt a bit uncomfortable on the carbon bars for a while when I first got the bike since I wasn't certain that carbon bars were that strong. I've since become confident because for being so way light, the bar is really strong.

For what it's worth, bar shape is a personal preference, not a judgement on better or worse.

I've got the Easton in the OS version. Put about 500 miles on it so far, and have to say they do what they're supposed to do. Funny thing is, I don't think about them that much. I guess that means they're working out okay for me. Other than a bit of flex when you're way out on the ends of the drops when sprinting hard, I can't see anything wrong with them. I had a Specialized S-Works bar prior, and couldn't get the levers to mount where I wanted them without tilting the bar outrageously. The Easton bailed me out there. Overall, I've just kind of mounted it and forgot it. I think that's pretty key to happiness. When you don't even have to think about it.

kuss said:
Thanks all for the input. Did any of you with the K-wing look at the Equipe and decide against it? Also, it appears that FSA now has a computer mount for the K-wing http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=41&pid=241
:)

I've had a K-Wing on my Cannondale Team Saeco for about a month now, probably 500+ miles. I am very pleased, for the most part. Love the flat section on top and the indent behind the brake levers. Had to ride about 3 miles Saturday over pavement that had been ripped and grooved for new asphalt - you know, where it is filled with pits and bumps. On my old bars, the buzz would have left my hands numb, but the FSA bars soaked a ton of that vibration up.

If I've seen a downside, it's that I have a rattle inside them where the cables go through. Maybe my LBS didn't do the best installation, but I hate hearing a rattle when I hit anything rough.

Otherwise, great bars!

Can someone tell me if a 31.7 diameter stem can be used with the FSA K wing since its 31.8 (perhaps Im being a little retentive)

If you want to enhance your riding pleasure, there are new on the market Bike Mounts to mount your Polar S series HRM onto either the Easton or the K Wing. Search eBay for ZeProEdge to find.;)

If you want to enhance your riding pleasure, there are new Bike Mounts available for both FSA K Wing and Easton Equipe bars to mount your Polar S series Heart Rate Monitor. Check out "ZeProEdge" in ebay.;)