FSA K-Wing

mgkaplan

Apr 23, 2006
Yesterday, I competed the upgrade of my Giant C3 bike to full Dura Ace, ROL wheels, Speedplay pedals and an FSA K-Wing Carbon bar. I noticed that there is not a smooth transition between the hoods and the flat section behind the hoods, but instead there is a slight dip. I asked the mechanic about it and he informed me that with Shimano controls there will be the slight dip, while with Campy controls the transition will be much smoother. (This is a mechanic that I trust as he is one of the most respected mechanics in the primo LBS in town.)

Have others experienced the same phenomenon when using an FSA K-Wing bars with Shimano controls? Any suggestions?

I have the K-Wing with Campy Record hoods & my buddy has it with Shimano Dura-Ace hoods.

I think it all depends on exactly where the hoods are placed on the bar. The Campy hoods are smaller therefore to me they appear to have a smother transition than the Shimano.

My buddy has the Shimano hoods in relatively the same place as my Campy & to me the groove isn't dramatic. I personally think that the K-Wing bar is more comfortable with the Shimano. I find the outer side of the heel of my palm fits nicely in it compared to the Campy where my hand just doesn't fit as well in the groove.

I would recommend that you play around with the position of the hoods by a few mm here & there to find the right spot for you. It's a great bar.

What stem did you match it to?

remdog said:
I have the K-Wing with Campy Record hoods & my buddy has it with Shimano Dura-Ace hoods.

I think it all depends on exactly where the hoods are placed on the bar. The Campy hoods are smaller therefore to me they appear to have a smother transition than the Shimano.

My buddy has the Shimano hoods in relatively the same place as my Campy & to me the groove isn't dramatic. I personally think that the K-Wing bar is more comfortable with the Shimano. I find the outer side of the heel of my palm fits nicely in it compared to the Campy where my hand just doesn't fit as well in the groove.

I would recommend that you play around with the position of the hoods by a few mm here & there to find the right spot for you. It's a great bar.

What stem did you match it to?
I will play with the position of the hoods. I think that a little bit of fine tuning will solve it.

My LBS suggested and installed a Torelli stem.

I have the K wing with Ultegra hoods. I find the slight depression before the hoods quite comfortable. I also had to adjust them a little to get to the sweet spot.

By how much may I adjust the position of the hoods?

My gut tells me that moving them up (toward the tops) by about 1/2" should position them just right for me.

I got a K-wing bar, and Campy Chorus shifters.

You should adjust the shifters such that you can reach the brakes in the drops.

I absolutely enjoy riding on this setup. So many positions ... and very comfortable

thomas_cho said:
I got a K-wing bar, and Campy Chorus shifters.

You should adjust the shifters such that you can reach the brakes in the drops.

I absolutely enjoy riding on this setup. So many positions ... and very comfortable

The gereral rule of thumb is that the tips of the levers be on the same plane as the bottom of the drops.

Xsmoker said:
The gereral rule of thumb is that the tips of the levers be on the same plane as the bottom of the drops.

The dip can be flattened by moving the levers up 1/4" - 3/8"

Will that put the tips of the levers far off from being on the same plane as the bottom of the drops?

mgkaplan said:
The dip can be flattened by moving the levers up 1/4" - 3/8"

Will that put the tips of the levers far off from being on the same plane as the bottom of the drops?

That rule is just a good starting point, as with all aspects of fitting, what is most comfortable for you is the best.

mgkaplan said:
By how much may I adjust the position of the hoods?

My gut tells me that moving them up (toward the tops) by about 1/2" should position them just right for me.
FWIW mine are at the top limit of the reinforced part of the bar designed for the levers.

Do you have both cables (shift and brake) running internally? I just put a set together with sram red shifters and the bends in the internal routes seem pretty sharp. Has anyone had any problems with shifting, braking or wear on the cables?

Thanks,
Bart