FSA mega exo cranks, when available for road?

jim c

Guest
Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
ATB version is currently out.

jim c wrote:
> Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
> outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
> ATB version is currently out.

Not sure, but they have a compact version of it too. :)

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71

Doug said:
[posted to rec.bicycles.tech and mailed to jim c
<[email protected]>]

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:06:05 GMT, jim c <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
>outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
>ATB version is currently out.

In the pipeline now apparently.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56195&item=7104155579&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
on ebay already.

Doug
Do these cranks make a flexible frame stiffer?

ex-<< Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
ATB version is currently out. >><BR><BR>

The Pres. of FSA visited us and said it will be out about the first of the
year, maybe sooner. $330 complete and compact.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ex-<< Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
> outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
> ATB version is currently out. >><BR><BR>
>
> The Pres. of FSA visited us and said it will be out about the first of the
> year, maybe sooner. $330 complete and compact.

I will have to admit that I am beginning to "like" the FSA products
especially with the introduction of this Mega Exo series. Maybe I am
just getting used to the looks of the Dura Ace 7800 cranks and the
"carbon" copy version looks less hulky. $330 complete for a modern
carbon crankset is a good price.

>I will have to admit that I am beginning to "like" the FSA products
>especially with the introduction of this Mega Exo series. Maybe I am
>just getting used to the looks of the Dura Ace 7800 cranks and the
>"carbon" copy version looks less hulky. $330 complete for a modern
>carbon crankset is a good price.

Carbon cranks are sexy, sure. But seriously, what are the advantages?
The weight saving is around 80 grams compared to the better alloy
cranks, sure. But I do worry a little about banging the cranks and
fatally gouging the CF, where with alloy I don't worry about that.
Same with CF forks to an extent, but cranks get banged more than forks
IMO.

Doug

Doug <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Carbon cranks are sexy, sure. But seriously, what are the advantages?
> The weight saving is around 80 grams compared to the better alloy
> cranks, sure. But I do worry a little about banging the cranks and
> fatally gouging the CF, where with alloy I don't worry about that.
> Same with CF forks to an extent, but cranks get banged more than forks
> IMO.

Obsolutely! But you are in the population of those people who "ride"
their bikes. According to Jobst, there are many more who just show off
their bikes. Imagine using a $14K bike for daily utility? The price
point of $330 for a set of carbon cranks (and the new BBs) is good for
all occasions (unlike those company C's). I will buy a set of these
than the Ultegra 10s even they cost a bit more.

The best bang would be DA9 still (1.5 year ago pricing). Did I tell
you that I bought two NIB FC-7700 from Performance Bike for $120 each
(3 years ago sale?) :) Many racers still use DA9 stuff in major events
because they are that good. Also, I will re-illerate that I look
toward the Taiwanese to challenge Shimano with innovations and price.
The biggest reason is they are nimble (and good listeners).