FSA mega exo cranks, when available for road?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jim c, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. jim c

    jim c Guest

    Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
    outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
    ATB version is currently out.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    jim c wrote:
    > Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
    > outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
    > ATB version is currently out.

    Not sure, but they have a compact version of it too. :)

    --
    Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
    gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71

  3. Doug

    Doug Guest

  4. sam218

    sam218 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2004
    Do these cranks make a flexible frame stiffer?

  5. ex-<< Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
    outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
    ATB version is currently out. >><BR><BR>

    The Pres. of FSA visited us and said it will be out about the first of the
    year, maybe sooner. $330 complete and compact.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  6. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ex-<< Anyone have any idea when FSA will release their road version of the
    > outboard bearing single piece (similar to the Dura ace) crankset? The
    > ATB version is currently out. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > The Pres. of FSA visited us and said it will be out about the first of the
    > year, maybe sooner. $330 complete and compact.

    I will have to admit that I am beginning to "like" the FSA products
    especially with the introduction of this Mega Exo series. Maybe I am
    just getting used to the looks of the Dura Ace 7800 cranks and the
    "carbon" copy version looks less hulky. $330 complete for a modern
    carbon crankset is a good price.

  7. Doug

    Doug Guest

    >I will have to admit that I am beginning to "like" the FSA products
    >especially with the introduction of this Mega Exo series. Maybe I am
    >just getting used to the looks of the Dura Ace 7800 cranks and the
    >"carbon" copy version looks less hulky. $330 complete for a modern
    >carbon crankset is a good price.

    Carbon cranks are sexy, sure. But seriously, what are the advantages?
    The weight saving is around 80 grams compared to the better alloy
    cranks, sure. But I do worry a little about banging the cranks and
    fatally gouging the CF, where with alloy I don't worry about that.
    Same with CF forks to an extent, but cranks get banged more than forks
    IMO.

    Doug

  8. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    Doug <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Carbon cranks are sexy, sure. But seriously, what are the advantages?
    > The weight saving is around 80 grams compared to the better alloy
    > cranks, sure. But I do worry a little about banging the cranks and
    > fatally gouging the CF, where with alloy I don't worry about that.
    > Same with CF forks to an extent, but cranks get banged more than forks
    > IMO.

    Obsolutely! But you are in the population of those people who "ride"
    their bikes. According to Jobst, there are many more who just show off
    their bikes. Imagine using a $14K bike for daily utility? The price
    point of $330 for a set of carbon cranks (and the new BBs) is good for
    all occasions (unlike those company C's). I will buy a set of these
    than the Ultegra 10s even they cost a bit more.

    The best bang would be DA9 still (1.5 year ago pricing). Did I tell
    you that I bought two NIB FC-7700 from Performance Bike for $120 each
    (3 years ago sale?) :) Many racers still use DA9 stuff in major events
    because they are that good. Also, I will re-illerate that I look
    toward the Taiwanese to challenge Shimano with innovations and price.
    The biggest reason is they are nimble (and good listeners).