FSA RD-600/400 wheel opinions?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Strid, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Strid

Strid New Member

So I'm looking for a new wheelset. I've been looking at a set of FSA wheels for my new road bike. I hear people complaint about the quality of the RD-400 wheels and the RD-600 is a bit pricey. What about Neuvation?
    (You can search or

My prioritys are mainly:
    1) Aerodynamics is a somewhat high priority
    2) They are not allowed to be too flexible, I like a more rigid and responive feel
    3) It would be great if they came in black because that looks so good! :)
    4) I care less about weight, I exclusively ride long flat rides, there are no hills, let alone mountains around here what so ever... This is pancake and pizza landscape. My fat% is about 8%, so I'm already fairly optimized in respect.
    5) No carbon parts

I've considered the (ghetto) Mavic Ksyrium SL and Fulcrum Racing 1 & 3, but they seem to be a bit overpriced and alot of people are using them, so I'd like to get something else (as long as it's good! :)) I know that its a bit shallow, bit I really love the 'bling factor' of a good looking bike! It makes me want to ride more! :)
    Rest of the bike it goes on is a Scott S1 with Ultegra and DA 10s parts. They'll replace an old set of WH-550 when I get them. Wheels are beautiful and look pro, but as everything on this bike is new, I want new wheels to go with it.
    My friend got American Classic 420 wheels and they seem to be really flexible, but they look aero and they're light. I don't really like those.
    I'm also considering the Dura Ace WH-7801wheelset... any good? They go on eBay for about $450, which is a price I really like!

I've heard alot about ROL road SL 28 wheels. They look stiff and durable. Other ways to get them than their website? (Sold out at the moment)

Any opinions?
    Anders :)

Tags:

2. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

If aerodynamics is high priority, why are you looking at Ksyriums and Dura Ace. What about stiffness, and other factors like that. I would suggest american classic 420s, but if it is for every day use, the RD-600s seem like a good option. Wheel aerodynamics is negligible. Position and drink bottle placement is key. And with a low spoke count wheel (anything 24 or under) you generally get a much heavier rim (more material give enough strength in areas between spokes) and a much flexier wheels. I have my DT Swiss wheels which are amazingly stiff, roll extremely smoothly, have a light rim, and make me faster. This is compared to a training set of shimano R550s, which are very flexy, look aero bt have the worst accelerational properties in any wheel i have ever ridden. Pro-Lite stelvios is another option.

3. Walrus

Walrus New Member

Before you hand over the $$, search the forums for discussions on aero wheels.

The American Classic 420 is a nice wheel, but where I come from they are similar price to the FSA RD600's. If you're going to spend that much...then look at Campagnolo Eurus.

Others cheaper wheels to consider:
    - Easton Vista SL (black and red)...entry level wheel which is available very cheaply online (performancebike)
    - Bontrager Race X-lite Aero (very stiff wheel but getting up there in $$)
    - Neuvation M28 Aero (not sure on cost)
    - Campagnolo Zonda G3

4. Eastway82

Eastway82 New Member

I've got no complaints about the quality of FSA RD400s - I've got about 8,000km training and racing on a set with no quality issues at all - and they're still true despite some lousy roads round here (just as well since trueing them means taking the tyres off, which is a pain). Also got an RD200 rear (same rim and spokes, different hub). Again no complaints on the quality front. The 400s and 200s are both smooth-rolling, stiff, light and fairly responsive. The only downside for me is they give a VERY harsh ride over anything but perfect surfaces.

5. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

I suggest you look at the new ROVAL RAPIDE STAR wheels. They're quite cheap, aero and look the part.

6. jmoryl

jmoryl New Member

Friends don't let friends ride FSA wheels!

Campy Vento's are cheap, strong and come in Campy and Shimano flavours.
    Campy Protons if you've got a bit more money....

7. Strid

Strid New Member

Okay, okay, I get it!! :) I've been reading alot at roadbikereviews.com as well as your post and post on the forum and I don't think I'm too fond of the FSA wheels anymore! I've heard alot of complaints about quality

In my initial post I rated aero quite high, but really, what I'm looking for is actually more of a 'bomb proof' wheelset - I only use it for training. Aero is not that high, but with that said, I can't say that I wouldn't like a wheel that gave me less wind resistance... :)

Thanks to your suggestions, I think I've narrowed my wish list down to this:

- Neuvation M 28 Aero / R28 SL2 / R 28 Aero (250$, 400$, 400$, online at Neuvation website)
    - ROL SL 28 (350$, if I can find them)
    - Easton Vista SL (350$ online)
    - Bontrager Race Lite (300$ online)

From what I read these should be durable wheels. I think I want a ROL wheel the most, they have great reviews. but the other seem great too. I think I got to make a decision.

HD Reynolds, the Royal Rapide Star definitely look good, but I don't think they're a wheelset for me. Same with the various Ksyriums wheels and the Dura Ace wheels, while they may be good wheels, I want to pay a little less, and not get the name. The American Classic 420 are not for me either, as my friend gots a pair and I don't think I like them very much. I don't think I want to spend more than 500$ tops on a wheelset.

The ROL wheels get by far the best critique and I'm kind of leaning towards them, but I don't really know. If you have any thoughts about using any of these wheelset for my need (1 - 2 rides a week about 2 - 4 hours on flat/straights at a steady pace to compliment my rowing training), then I really would like to hear it!

You've all been very helpful so far and I think I got my needs narrowed down a bit, so I know what I want for wheels and what to look for, thanks!

Anders :)

8. wugga

wugga New Member

Shame ROL is out of the 28's. I bought a set for training because of the price and having the rep local. Can't say enough about the wheels ... bullet proof! Not the lightest at 1710 grams, but they sping up great and ride is killer!

9. Strid

Strid New Member

I actually sent them an e-mail and asked when they're expected to become available. :)