FSA's RD-200 traditional bend vs ergonomic bend handlebars

Sergio Escutia

Jan 16, 2005
I am interested in hearing comments from those that have used both types of bars.

Thanks beforehand.

Sergio

Three weeks ago I test-rode an S-Works Tarmac that was fitted with some FSA ergonomic bend handlebars.

The handle bars were so uncomfortable I could barely make it around the block. I forced myself to ride a 1.5 mile circuit, but it was like pulling teeth; I couldn't wait to get off that bike. And it was entirely due to how uncomfortable the handlebars were.

The placement of the drops forces you to grab the brake levers from beneath rather than behind. This puts unnecessary strain on your wrists, as well as making you feel more stretched out than you are (or at least more than you need to be).

Just couldn't find a place on those bars where I could imagine myself holding on for more than a few seconds at a time.

Bob Ross said:
Three weeks ago I test-rode an S-Works Tarmac that was fitted with some FSA ergonomic bend handlebars.

The handle bars were so uncomfortable I could barely make it around the block. I forced myself to ride a 1.5 mile circuit, but it was like pulling teeth; I couldn't wait to get off that bike. And it was entirely due to how uncomfortable the handlebars were.

The placement of the drops forces you to grab the brake levers from beneath rather than behind. This puts unnecessary strain on your wrists, as well as making you feel more stretched out than you are (or at least more than you need to be).

Just couldn't find a place on those bars where I could imagine myself holding on for more than a few seconds at a time.

I have 3500 miles on the FSA Kforce carbon bars and have switched. The tail of the bottom of the bar is so short that there is no room to rest your hands on the bottom of the drops. So, in addition to the previously mentioned problems this short tail i\has been my major complaint.
It looks like most of the lighter carbon bars sacrifice the length of the drop to save weight. I have gone to the Zipp carbon bars and because of their shape I CAN STAY DOWN EASILY! It was nice to find these. There are also a lot of goog traditional aluminum bars that are very light also.
John

Love the ergo bars while in the drops. If they are uncomfy you might want to try rotating your bars down a bit.

Very interesting comments.

I wonder if CSC riders are fitted with the traditional or ergo.

Thanks to all,

Sergio

I don't know about FSA specifically, but I always prefer the traditional round bend over all the ergo stuff. The traditional bend gives me a large flat section in the drops to hold and seems to be a more natural angle for my wrists. The drop is typically shallower, allowing me to stay down more often. They're also better for sprinting from the drops. Oh, and they put my hands closer to the brakes in the drops. I just ordered a FSA Energy T handlebar, which is the round bend (the RD 200 is the ergonomic bend, at least here in the US). Should be good. I also have the Deda Newton Italian bend, and Easton EC-90 pro bend, which are all pretty much the same shape. Good stuff. I'll never go back to ergo bars.

friedmikey said:
I just ordered a FSA Energy T handlebar, which is the round bend (the RD 200 is the ergonomic bend, at least here in the US). Should be good.
The reason of my question is that I just picked up a bike for my kid in Austin and found that the bars were not RD-200s but the Energy T version of the "RD-200". My kid is used to the ergo FSA bend and I was just wondering.

Kids get used to new things easier than adults so I will let him use that bar and will wait for his comments.

Thanks to all again.

Sergio

I haven't tried ergo bars but I have tried different thicknesses of bar. I have a very strong aversion to all the super skinny handle bars that are out there. I assume these companies do this to save weight but I find it very uncomfortable.