Fscking Brompton!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. The effing thing has only been back on the road two weeks
    and I think it might have had what might be called a
    catastrophic failure. The Brommie itself is fine but I
    have lost transmission. The pedals go around but the
    wheel doesn't!

    It happened this morning, I had just cycled down the hill
    from Durham station and started up the mild hill around the
    back of the town. I'd not set the seat post right and so I
    stopped at the kerbside and adjusted it a little. Then as I
    pulled off the gears slipped and I went nowhere. I ran it
    through the gears and there was no bite in any gear. I
    pushed the bike up the hill to a level side road to try
    again and nothing. Each time I start to pull of there is an
    initial catching which then slips immediately. The cog goes
    round and when being wheeled along it makes its usual
    pleasant purring sound.

    The hub is an SA 5-speed. Any ideas what might be wrong?
    It's bad news isn't it? Go on, you can tell me!

    In the short term I can put on the original rea wheel which
    has an SRAM 3-speed (though I'd have to find a changer) but
    cycling in Durham would probably become less pleasant.

    Colin

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > In the short term I can put on the original rea wheel
    > which has an SRAM 3-speed (though I'd have to find a
    > changer) but cycling in Durham would probably become less
    > pleasant.
    >
    > Colin

    Join the BromptonTalk newsgroup on Yahoo and you'll find
    people there who can tell you exactly what the problem is
    and how to get it fixed.

    Tony

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > In the short term I can put on the original rea wheel
    > which has an SRAM=
    =20
    > 3-speed (though I'd have to find a changer) but cycling in
    > Durham would=
    =20
    > probably become less pleasant.

    Note that you can retrofit the 6 speed conversion kit to any
    Mk3 that=20 was supplied with the SRAM hub: all the braze-
    ons etc. should be there.=20 IIRC it's ~=A370.

    I did have a go on a 6, and it works just fine, but having
    used the 3=20 with no problems was wary that I knew I didn't
    *need* it, not generally=20 a consideration I'll grant you
    but on a runabout/hack it is. But OTOH=20 my L3 has the -18%
    gear reduction (I can't remember if that's done at=20
    sprocket, crank or both, Brompton will be able to tell you
    I'd think)=20 which does make a *big* difference. Dundee has
    some Real Hills, and=20 having ridden a standard geared Mk 2
    for a while I have practical=20 experience of the
    significance of the change. You spin out down hills,=20
    granted, but if I'm you're in a Big Hurry down hills you're
    on the wrong =

    bike anyway!

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382
    660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44
    1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:22:47 -0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >

    >> In the short term I can put on the original rea wheel
    >> which has an SRAM 3-speed (though I'd have to find a
    >> changer) but cycling in Durham would probably become less
    >> pleasant.
    >>
    >> Colin
    >
    > Join the BromptonTalk newsgroup on Yahoo and you'll find
    > people there who can tell you exactly what the problem is
    > and how to get it fixed.

    I have been a member of that group but I unsubscribe due
    to vast amount of utter drivel I seemed to be receiving.
    I posted here because I considered it a Sturmey Archer
    hub problem.

    Colin
    --

  5. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:54:13 +0000, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Note that you can retrofit the 6 speed conversion kit to
    > any Mk3 that was supplied with the SRAM hub: all the braze-
    > ons etc. should be there. IIRC it's ~£70.

    Yes, I've been looking at that but I'm reticent to go
    that way unless I know the SA is dead---although as I do
    have a Mk 3 I did wonder about the conversion kit
    creating a 10-speed.

    > I did have a go on a 6, and it works just fine, but having
    > used the 3 with no problems was wary that I knew I didn't
    > *need* it, not generally a consideration I'll grant you
    > but on a runabout/hack it is. But OTOH my L3 has the -18%
    > gear reduction (I can't remember if that's done at
    > sprocket, crank or both,

    I have the 12% reduction which is chainring, I thin the 18%
    is chainring and sprocket.

    > Brompton will be able to tell you I'd think) which does
    > make a *big* difference. Dundee has some Real Hills, and
    > having ridden a standard geared Mk 2 for a while I have
    > practical experience of the significance of the change.
    > You spin out down hills, granted, but if I'm you're in a
    > Big Hurry down hills you're on the wrong bike anyway!

    I'd be more than happy to spin out as long as I could
    spina at all!

    Colin
    --

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > Note that you can retrofit the 6 speed conversion kit to
    > any Mk3 that was supplied with the SRAM hub: all the braze-
    > ons etc. should be there. IIRC it's ~£70.

    When it works the 5 speed is much better than the six.
    Easier gear change on one control rather than remembering
    the sequence for two levers and doesn't have the derailleur
    which some have reported gets gunged up

    Tony

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > Yes, I've been looking at that but I'm reticent to go
    > that way unless I know the SA is dead---although as I do
    > have a Mk 3 I did wonder about the conversion kit
    > creating a 10-speed.

    Could be a goer, though check with Brom to ensure no SRAM
    specific gotchas.

    > I have the 12% reduction which is chainring, I thin the
    > 18% is chainring and sprocket.

    Bonus! just means a new rear sprocket and you'll be able to
    take on nastier hills without too much trouble, and you're
    not too far out of pocket either.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:58:44 -0000 someone who may be "Colin
    Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >It happened this morning, I had just cycled down the hill
    >from Durham station and started up the mild hill around the
    >back of the town. I'd not set the seat post right and so I
    >stopped at the kerbside and adjusted it a little. Then as I
    >pulled off the gears slipped and I went nowhere. I ran it
    >through the gears and there was no bite in any gear.

    With luck the hub might just be out of adjustment. There are
    instructions on adjusting it in the manual that comes with
    Bromptons or at http://www.toehead.demon.co.uk/.

    If you are unlucky then it is possible to fit a new five
    speed hub in the old shell, instructions are in A to B
    magazine. Alternatively there is the three to six speed
    conversion kit.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

  9. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:20:42 +0000, David Hansen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:58:44 -0000 someone who may be
    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    >> It happened this morning, I had just cycled down the hill
    >> from Durham station and started up the mild hill around
    >> the back of the town. I'd not set the seat post right and
    >> so I stopped at the kerbside and adjusted it a little.
    >> Then as I pulled off the gears slipped and I went
    >> nowhere. I ran it through the gears and there was no bite
    >> in any gear.
    >
    > With luck the hub might just be out of adjustment. There
    > are instructions on adjusting it in the manual that comes
    > with Bromptons or at http://www.toehead.demon.co.uk/.

    Cheers, I managed to find the pdf they have taken this from.
    It looks like another day in the workshop not finishing the
    recumbent!

    > If you are unlucky then it is possible to fit a new five
    > speed hub in the old shell, instructions are in A to B
    > magazine. Alternatively there is the three to six speed
    > conversion kit.

    I think I'll fit the 3-speed back on in the first instance
    and then decide what to do once I know what's happened to
    the SA. If I'm really lucky Sunrace-SA will have brought out
    a Brompton version of their 8-speed by the time I get around
    to making a decision.

    Colin
    --

  10. In article <[email protected]>, David Hansen wrote:

    >If you are unlucky then it is possible to fit a new five
    >speed hub in the old shell, instructions are in A to B
    >magazine. Alternatively there is the three to six speed
    >conversion kit.

    I just bought a copy of February's A to B in a LBS. From
    that: "GERMANY Fancy an 8-speed Brompton? Engineer Juliane
    Nuess has been building conversions based around the 7-speed
    - and more recently 8-speed - Nexus hubs for some time.
    Prices vary from E300 (£211) for an 8-speed wheel on an
    exchange basis to E440 (£310) for an 8-speed fully fitted.
    Prices do not include postage. Contact Juliane Neuss mail
    info at junik-hpv.de"

    (Where the mail address actually has an @ and Neuss really
    has an Esszett (Neuÿ if I've got it right and this hasn't
    been mangled on the way - the thing that looks like a
    beta) so maybe ought to be Neusz. £ is supposed to be a
    pound sign.)

  11. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote: <snip> Sturmey Archer: Just Say No!
    Sturmey Archer: Just Say No! </snip>

    A fan of Sturmey Archer then are ya? ;)

  12. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote: <snip> Sturmey Archer: Just Say No!
    Sturmey Archer: Just Say No! </snip>

    A fan of Sturmey Archer then are ya? ;)

  13. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:58:44 -0000, "Colin Blackburn"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :)The effing thing has only been back on the road two weeks
    :and I think it )might have had what might be called a
    :catastrophic failure. The Brommie )itself is fine but I
    :have lost transmission. The pedals go around but the )wheel
    :doesn't! ) )Then as I pulled off the gears slipped and I
    :went nowhere. I ran )it through the gears and there was no
    :bite in any gear. I pushed the bike )up the hill to a level
    :side road to try again and nothing. Each time I )start to
    :pull of there is an initial catching which then slips
    :)immediately. The cog goes round and when being wheeled
    :along it makes its )usual pleasant purring sound. ) )The
    :hub is an SA 5-speed. Any ideas what might be wrong? It's
    :bad news )isn't it? Go on, you can tell me!

    No, I don't think so :)

    Sounds like you have a 13T sprocket on it - now with an
    additional radial crack in it !

    Requires replacing (~£4 or free if you chat Brompton up)
    with the stronger 14 tooth variant.

    Reasonably ok D-I-Y job but do spec. the wider sprocet .25"
    rather than 3/16

    My first one failed on the "hills" of Norfolk ! after a few
    years. The second, a 13T 3/16 6 months later - hence the
    recommendation of 14T
    1/4"
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

  14. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:05:15 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    :)in message <[email protected]>, Colin
    :Blackburn )('[email protected]') wrote: ) )> The
    :effing thing has only been back on the road two weeks and I
    :)> think it might have had what might be called a
    :catastrophic failure. )> The Brommie itself is fine but I
    :have lost transmission. The pedals )> go around but the
    :wheel doesn't! ) )That's not fscking Brompton, that's
    :fscking Sturmey Archer.

    Actually, if it's what I think it is, it's B using a non-
    standard too small sprocket on the S-A hub. The small
    sprockets are just not up to the loading.

    :) )> In the short term I can put on the original rea wheel
    :which has an )> SRAM 3-speed (though I'd have to find a
    :changer). ) )That sounds a much better idea.

    Using an "in-spec." sprocket's the answer.

    I know Sturmey Archers are now made in
    :)Taiwan, but they're still at heart good old British
    :Engineering, and )frankly I wouldn't touch one with a barge
    :pole. Sturmey Archer: Just )Say No!

    The only real prob. I've had is a wheel bearing prob. and
    nowt to do with the gear's internals.
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

  15. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:23:21 GMT, pmailkeey
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:58:44 -0000, "Colin Blackburn"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :)The hub is an SA 5-speed. Any ideas what might be wrong?
    > :It's bad news )isn't it? Go on, you can tell me!
    >
    > No, I don't think so :)

    Thanks for that. I'll take a look when I get a chance.

    > Sounds like you have a 13T sprocket on it - now with an
    > additional radial crack in it !
    >
    > Requires replacing (~£4 or free if you chat Brompton up)
    > with the stronger 14 tooth variant.
    >
    > Reasonably ok D-I-Y job but do spec. the wider sprocet
    > .25" rather than 3/16

    Ta.

    Colin
    --

  16. A long time ago in a universe far away...
    ...pmailkeey <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:58:44 -0000, "Colin Blackburn"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > :)The hub is an SA 5-speed. Any ideas what might be wrong?
    > :It's bad news )isn't it? Go on, you can tell me!
    >
    > No, I don't think so :)
    >
    > Sounds like you have a 13T sprocket on it - now with an
    > additional radial crack in it !

    In between repairing the borehole supply and screwing
    together wood for the raised beds I finally managed to find
    time to take the Brommie apart. And yes, Mike gets the
    prize for the correct answer, the sprocket is well and
    truly cracked.

    > Requires replacing (~£4 or free if you chat Brompton up)
    > with the stronger 14 tooth variant.
    >
    > Reasonably ok D-I-Y job but do spec. the wider sprocet
    > .25" rather than 3/16

    I will be trying to get one today.

    Cheers,

    Colin

    Colin
    --

  17. In news:eek:[email protected],
    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> typed:
    > A long time ago in a universe far away... ...pmailkeey
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:58:44 -0000, "Colin Blackburn"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> :)The hub is an SA 5-speed. Any ideas what might be
    >> :wrong? It's bad
    >> news :)isn't it? Go on, you can tell me!
    >>
    >> No, I don't think so :)
    >>
    >> Sounds like you have a 13T sprocket on it - now with an
    >> additional radial crack in it !
    >
    > In between repairing the borehole supply and screwing
    > together wood for the raised beds I finally managed to
    > find time to take the Brommie apart. And yes, Mike gets
    > the prize for the correct answer, the sprocket is well and
    > truly cracked.
    >
    >> Requires replacing (~£4 or free if you chat Brompton up)
    >> with the stronger 14 tooth variant.
    >>
    >> Reasonably ok D-I-Y job but do spec. the wider sprocet
    >> .25" rather than 3/16
    >
    > I will be trying to get one today.

    If you want a lower gear, I've got a 16 tooth sprocket that
    should work for you that's had a few hundred miles use but
    should be OK. I'd be happy to mail it you for nowt.