FSX - Future Shock--Can I rebuild it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brent, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent

Brent Guest

I have a shock that came with a stumpjumper back when they were still Chromoly. I think it is the
    FSX with air and oil. First, can anyone cofirm that it is the FSX Future shock? The bike has the
    tange-prestige tubing and I think it is from around '92. I was told that the fork is just the
    Specialized version of the old Rockshox Quadra (???). Second, the shock seems OK but I have heard
    there are modifications to make it more plush and with more travel. It looks like someone drilled
    holes in the bottom for damping--actually, it looks like it might have been built that way. Is there
    anything else I can do? Can I still get seals and whatever else I'd need to do this? Finally, I
    realize it makes more sense to just buy a newer/"better" shock but I like the cool value of this
    old-school setup. Plus, it is a chance to mess around with the innards of my bike.

Thanks, -Brent

Tags:

2. Paul M.

Paul M. Guest

Hi Brent,

Dredging back through my memories of the earlier Specialized forks, I think the ones you have are
    either modified Rockshox Mag 10`s or Mag 21`s. Specialized used to buy them in from Rockshox (I
    think as more or less standard models) and change certain internal components. My experience (I work
    for a main Specialized dealer in the UK) is that Specialized used to be most obliging in terms of
    spare parts and technical support. As far as documentation goes, if you can get hold of the Mag 10 /
    Mag 21 service manual (Rockshox may still supply it - failing that, find a friendly bike-shop who
    still have a copy). As a rule, the two main things that will wear with time and normal use are the
    bushings and the seals. If you`re experiencing pressure loss (and commonly oil leakage at the top of
    the lower leg seals) then try removing and thoroughly cleaning the seals and stanchions, lubricate
    them up with some fork oil (Dextron ATF) and reassemble. If you find that there`s fore-aft play when
    the front brake is applied and the bike is rocked (not unlike a loose or worn headset) then it`s
    time to replace the bushings. These are buried way down in the lower legs, and there was a special
    tool that Rockshox supplied to dealers to prise them out without wrecking the cast lower-leg
    assemblies. You might (I know nothing about motorbike forks) be able to get a motor-cycle shop to
    remove the old bushings if your local bike-shop doesn`t have the tool. The replacement white-metal
    bushings were tapped into place with a phallic-looking lump of turned brass (also a Rockshox tool).
    Whilst you have the forks apart, check to make sure that there`s no scoring or corrosion-pitting on
    the upper legs - if there is, you`re doomed unless you can find a replacement set of upper legs.
    They could be replaced individually by means of loosening the bolts in the crown - correct
    re-tightening is such that the slot between the main bit of the crown and the bit that wraps around
    the upper leg is parallel - my trick used to be to slide a credit-card into the gap, and adjust
    until it was a smooth sliding fit corner-wise in the gap).

Best of luck!!

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.