FT in cold weather

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by msummers, Jan 7, 2006.

1. msummers

msummers New Member

Could one expect for a lower power output for the usual RPE on outdoor 2 X 20s when the weather is about 38 degrees F and wind chills below 20 degrees F? First time out in quite a while today, and NP power was off about 10%. Have been training indoors for the last 4 weeks. Wonder if temp may have an effect.

mike

Tags:

2. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

I definitely don't find this here and have done plenty of riding since October in the -5 to +5C range. Perhaps you just did not warm up sufficiently for the hard efforts or were underdressed? If my legs are cold, then I feel lousy. Given the temps here - one of my four different thicknesses winter tights usually does the trick. Knee warmers underneath work pretty well too.

rmur

3. robkit

robkit New Member

and i thought i might be the only one with 4 different sets of tights/knicks! :)

4. velomanct

velomanct New Member

I don't think you should be looking at any power data at this time of the year, unless you start racing soon. Don't over-analyze during the winter, you will head for mental burnout when it really matters.

ex: today, during my base mile ride, I turned my speedometer down so I couldn't see any data. Now is not the time to look at numbers, IMO.