FT test frequency

AshesGlory

Dec 17, 2005
This is my first posting to this newsgroup though I have been monitoring it since before I bought my PT-SL and the CyclingPeaks software back in November. I have found the newsgroup educational and sometimes entertaining too. It amazes me that there are experts in the field willing to contribute so much to the dialogue.
I am a relative newcomer to cycling, this being my third season although I am not new to endurance sports having played rugby for many years and after that some running. I have entered only 5 races - Durango-Silverton Ironhorse, Mike Horgan Hill Climb, Mt Evans Hill Climb twice and the Gore Pass race but have already become addicted to the sport not least because of the degree of analysis available to cyclists, which seems to be a long way ahead of other endurance sports except perhaps rowing. So buying the PT was an easy decision once the budget became available.
I have become pretty convinced in the importance of FT as a basis for planning training (using zones derived from FT) and measuring training load (using TSS derived from FT) and quite soon after getting my PT I established my FT using the 2x20 method.
My question is how frequently does everyone retest for FT?

AshesGlory said:
I have become pretty convinced in the importance of FT as a basis for planning training (using zones derived from FT) and measuring training load (using TSS derived from FT) and quite soon after getting my PT I established my FT using the 2x20 method.
From a rugby player to a hill climber, that's pretty cool.

This is probably extreme but the last time I did close to one hour really hard was last June. :)
I updated my FTP higher for purposes of NP/zone calculation a bit after I was able to do a lot of long intervals in one session higher than where I expected to be FTP wise last month.
Today's circuit race was the first hard complete hour I've done in a while, and using this FTP my IF was 1.02 so I am could be underestimating it still...

AshesGlory said:
Are you talking about testing using a 1-hr all out effort, or using 2x20's? If it's the second case, you really shouldn't consider it "testing" but just track efforts in training (since you can go over ft by a good bit in a 2x20 session if you hit it hard).

"Training is testing, and testing is training"
-Andy Coggan

AshesGlory said:
I think the answer depends on two questions: (1) test for what purpose? and (2) how rapidly do you think your sustainable power is increasing? The most obvious purpose to test FT is to set your interval levels, but that can be done in a variety of ways (e.g., 2x20s with a short rest such as 5mins). And, for level-setting purposes, being off by, say, 10w is not very significant. But, testing for 40K TT pacing purposes might call for a more specific test, with race-specific power variance. That's because mis-estimating 1 hr power by 10w will cost you valuable time in a TT. FWIW, I don't even use FT to set my interval power targets -- I use 90% of my MP at the interval duration, whatever that is. That being said, I end up with a pretty good fix on my FT at least once a month just due to a spirited 60 minutes in one of my club rides -- I just can't stand to see these 130lb kids get away on the hills. As to the rate of change of your sustainable power, you might want to test more frequently, but in a way that doesn't matter either because you'll know quickly whether you are riding your intervals at too high or too low power because of a change in RPE.

AshesGlory said:
Formally test? Never. As my ability to consistently produce power during my typical L4 workouts increases, I increase my estimated FT. I'm planning to do a 40k TT this summer (for the first time), but 1-hr TT's on the trainer aren't my idea of a good time.

Right now, I have a trainer, so I get tested 3x/ season (LT test in lab.) My most recent test was my first after getting a PT and CyclingPeaks - it was interesting to note that my repeated max 30' power during training was within 1watt of my power at OBLA in the lab.

While I don't fiddle with my FT value in CP (set it after each LT test and forget it) I do adjust my range for intervals out on the road in between tests. If it starts getting too easy to complete my intervals at a certain range, I start increasing it. I've only been using CP since November and am still integrating it into my training plan.

i set mine with the avg power over 2 x 20min - i have a nice and flat, albeit windy place to do the test at. i do a set of them atleast weekly (right now, twice a week). oddly
there seems to have been like ~2 watt increase (if you look at a larger scale picture) per week. i.e. i'm up 10w from jan 1.

AshesGlory said:
This is my first posting to this newsgroup though I have been monitoring it since before I bought my PT-SL and the CyclingPeaks software back in November. I have found the newsgroup educational and sometimes entertaining too. It amazes me that there are experts in the field willing to contribute so much to the dialogue.
I am a relative newcomer to cycling, this being my third season although I am not new to endurance sports having played rugby for many years and after that some running. I have entered only 5 races - Durango-Silverton Ironhorse, Mike Horgan Hill Climb, Mt Evans Hill Climb twice and the Gore Pass race but have already become addicted to the sport not least because of the degree of analysis available to cyclists, which seems to be a long way ahead of other endurance sports except perhaps rowing. So buying the PT was an easy decision once the budget became available.
I test during every rest week (in base, four weeks on, one week easy). I do one 20 minute FT interval on the trainer. Wattage looks to be close to what I can do in 1 hour if it were outside. Important to test under similar protocols.

I am up 12 watts (tested last week) from January 2nd. No VO2Max work done, only form sprints, FT (2x20s and 4x10s) and endurance rides.

Does one really need to test FT at all or can you just do each interval at the max power that allows you to complete all the intervals that you have scheduled?

ptooey said:
Does one really need to test FT at all or can you just do each interval at the max power that allows you to complete all the intervals that you have scheduled?
The latter will work just fine if you have the patience and persistence to 'dial-in' the appropriate levels. The former will give you a good starting point.