Ftp (full time power)

Are you on Strrava? I'd like to see these rides you mention.

I have some friends who race, really light small guys who are ball busters, have top positions on segments vs those in the groups I have ridden with and they don't do 28 mph averages over 10 miles. Super fast riders, super climbers and there numbers are nowhere near this on city roads with stops etc.

A group of local racers do 25 mile ride on local roads with stops etc and their average is just below 20. That is a pack of 25.

Another group of pro riders do a 24 mile course and average 24 in a pack of 50 with all the top local racers including pros.

You must be a super rider! :D
When Strava first started I was on it. But if I did a ride everyone would try to beat my time. I am not into racing since the late 80's. I had a serious lung injury and my racing was over and done with. My particular injuries do not heal and I am stuck with scars all over the inside of my lungs. So it annoyed me that some 19 year old was doing 20 rides to work his way up to beating my time which WAS NOT FAST. So I got off of Strava.

That was only for 10 miles at the end of a century. When I got in after that I couldn't even find the parking lot. It took me 15 minutes of wandering around before I accidently tripped over it.

I know what you mean! I did an organized ride called Tour of Alpine near San Diego. I started at the back, metric 62 miles with 7600 ft of gain.

I saw a few forum members from So Cal, small guys and gals at about 150 pounds and less. I was 225. I let them shoot out of the gates like bats out of hell. I worked into a pace and started passing people. My wife drove my truck around just to monitor me for fun. The one guy who I thought was way ahead, my wife told me he was just 5 riders ahead of me.

Wow, I was catching up. I eventually passed him and finished before all the other riders I knew. It's really fun being a big guy and passing people on mountain rides.

The flat centuries are even easier to finish well. :D

Perhaps you can tell us what you know about it?
There's really nothing to tell. Strava power estimates are known to be pretty inaccurate, and almost always too high. The best case scenario is steep climbs, where the estimates can be somewhat reasonable.

When Strava first started I was on it. But if I did a ride everyone would try to beat my time. I am not into racing since the late 80's. I had a serious lung injury and my racing was over and done with. My particular injuries do not heal and I am stuck with scars all over the inside of my lungs. So it annoyed me that some 19 year old was doing 20 rides to work his way up to beating my time which WAS NOT FAST. So I got off of Strava.

I can never figure out why someone can't log their miles as records without worrying about what other riders do. I ride my bike, keep records of my rides. If Sagan beats me on a segment, what do I care?

Yeah, we have 28,000 riders on some of our segments including all the pros who do Tour of California. I could care less who beats me or tries to beat me. Matter of fact, on many of my rides, I have guys ride my wheel then sprint around on certain segments to post good times on Strava.

Fine with me, I've grown up and just enjoy my rides and care less who beats me on a segment.

It's nice to log my history though to monitor my progress or decline. Last 2 or 3 years, too many family illnesses and deaths so my numbers dropped. Last year I was able to get back up to 4,000 miles vs the 2,000 the previous years. This year I am on a 5,000 schedule.

That is what matters too me, watching my progress and knowing when I need to pick it back up for my health and well being into my older years.

I could care less if 22 year old Pedro beats me on a segment. Kind of silly. But nice to know out of the 28,000 riders around here, I finish around 3,000. So nice to know I am not the slowest on an average but caring about every segment and every ride is silly.

There's really nothing to tell. Strava power estimates are known to be pretty inaccurate, and almost always too high. The best case scenario is steep climbs, where the estimates can be somewhat reasonable.
Well, I'm not arguing with you, just saying that Strava appears to have started as nothing more than a record keeping program and rapidly turned into a racing app. While Mr. Beanz is correct that we shouldn't care who is doing what, when I do an unusual course that most people would not do, having someone try to beat my time is not unusual and in one case had a very unhappy result. One guy did my Mt. Diablo ride up the south side and down the northside. There was a crack in the road that Mr. Hotshot didn't see, hit, fell and is now a paraplegic. His partner won't do any climbing now and if he does WALKS his bike downhill. So Strava causes these sorts of things. So I don't like it. It isn't as if I'm fast. In fact at 76 I don't hardly consider myself fast enough to be called slow. So I dropped off of Strava.

Well, I'm not arguing with you, just saying that Strava appears to have started as nothing more than a record keeping program and rapidly turned into a racing app. While Mr. Beanz is correct that we shouldn't care who is doing what, when I do an unusual course that most people would not do, having someone try to beat my time is not unusual and in one case had a very unhappy result. One guy did my Mt. Diablo ride up the south side and down the northside. There was a crack in the road that Mr. Hotshot didn't see, hit, fell and is now a paraplegic. His partner won't do any climbing now and if he does WALKS his bike downhill. So Strava causes these sorts of things. So I don't like it. It isn't as if I'm fast. In fact at 76 I don't hardly consider myself fast enough to be called slow. So I dropped off of Strava.
What does any of this have to do with Strava power estimates???

What does Strava power estimates have to do with anything? My Garmin is just as accurate.

What does Strava power estimates have to do with anything? My Garmin is just as accurate.
Ummmm ... this thread is about power, yes? And someone mentioned Strava power estimates in a previous post.

(But, you should feel free to go off on crazy tangents, like how Strava is responsible for someone crashing after hitting a crack in the road and their resulting paralysis. Because that's ... relevant?)

What does any of this have to do with Strava power estimates???
It has nothing to do with Strava power estimates which little more than a guesstimation. What would make you think that Strava could even give you a coarse power estimate? If you want to know your power buy a power meter.

I don't have any way of measuring watts, but I like the zone 1, 2 and 3 idea, where zone 1 is where you are riding and able to carry on normal relaxed conversation or singing, zone 2 is where you can only give short answers in conversation, and zone 3 is where you can not use your voice at all because you have to breath hard. The number of miles you can go in zone 3 before having to stop might be a sort of FTP measurement. I am not comfortable in that zone for more than about 40 minutes. In zone 2 I might be able to go twice that long or more, and in zone 1 I may be able to put in an 8-hour work-day.

Hey! I totally get what you're saying about zone training. It's a great way to gauge your effort levels during rides. You're right, zone 3 is definitely intense and requires some serious breathing. As for measuring watts, there are various power meters available that can help track your output. Keep givin' it your all! ‍♂️

I see you're new to cycling, and that's great! But let's focus on the topic at hand.