FTP gains in base period, yes or no

obreeforme

Dec 11, 2012
Just wondering what FTP gains or not people expect to see working a Friel style base period. No real focus on L4/Z4 just lots of Z2/3 volume.

Originally Posted by obreeforme .

Just wondering what FTP gains or not people expect to see working a Friel style base period. No real focus on L4/Z4 just lots of Z2/3 volume.
Depends on how close you are to your maximal potential at the beginning of the base period.

I think it depends how many hours you are doing. If you are doing a 650 hour season yes, but I think the lower hour plans don't give enough volume during base for a traditional LSD type training to work, I think you need more long rides in a week. However, I think that come the build periods most people could be slightly more effective with a touch less volume and more intensity than he prescribed. I followed a 650hr Friel plan real close last season, but had to deviate towards the end of the season due to the difficulty of the racing I was doing. My last block was short, September and October and was totally focused on one race. During that block I did a SST based plan and responded real well. This season I will be following more of that type of plan with a periodization twist to it. It really depends what you can endure, for me I don't get to mentally drained from a decent does of L4 and could probably do some type of L4 year around. Others may get burnt out from doing this.

Thanks bgoetz. Spooky 650 is just about spot on my plan. I've always believed in volume personally, as you say the build phase is where most of FTP development comes. I just randomly started getting gains between base blocks which I really wasn't expecting (not complaining). SST is good to supliment but I don't see it as a replacement. Also what most knock as slow distance is off the mark. Top of Z2 (75%ftp) for 4 hours is pretty tight for anyone if you ride that every watt counts not normalised power

Originally Posted by obreeforme .

Top of Z2 (75%ftp) for 4 hours is pretty tight for anyone if you ride that every watt counts not normalised power
And there are people who have found religion doing long rides at much lower power than that. There are people who have found religion doing 5-6 hours at 80+%.

Either just riding around is better than most give it credit or everyone needs a different plan.

---

I like 1 hour intervals at 85+%. When I was young 2-3 hour intervals were nice. 4 intervals a day put me in great condition.