FTP in Five Minutes

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
Every Friday I do a 3x2 then a five minute easy pace and then I ramp up my heart rate to 162bpm (my 1 hour TT average heart rate) and record the average power as I maintain 162bpm average for 5 minutes. How's that for an easy estimate of FTP?

Huh?! :eek: Functional Threshold Power (FTP) is defined as the power that a rider can hold over a 40 km time trial distance.

wiredued said:
Every Friday I do a 3x2 then a five minute easy pace and then I ramp up my heart rate to 162bpm (my 1 hour TT average heart rate) and record the average power as I maintain 162bpm average for 5 minutes. How's that for an easy estimate of FTP?

How often do your 1hr HRavg tests, to make sure 162bpm is still the right number to use? ;)

frenchyge said:
How often do your 1hr HRavg tests, to make sure 162bpm is still the right number to use? ;)

Or if you happen to have had a wee bit less water, or are worried about the missus or the fellow at home, or if it happens to be somewhat warmer outside....just a few things that can greatly skew your HR.

Not to mention other pesky details like anaerobic capacity that greatly impact one's average watts over such short intervals.

Not often but in the past I have done alot of threshold efforts 20 to 30 minutes long that averaged 163bpm and occasionally 164bpm if I had a long warm up. I should mention I'm indoors where the temperature is controlled. The missus causing minimal but consistent stress:)

frenchyge said:

It would be easier if you did the 3x2 and 1x5(by heart rate) and let me know... thanks in advance:)

Alex Simmons said:
Dunno. How about you go ride hard for an hour and let us know. :D

Alex Simmons said:
I don't even know where my HR strap is.

I've got like 6 straps now just laying around the house.
3 for the Garmin devices, 2 for the PM and 1 old Polar

I could send one or all of them so they can lay around in your house instead of mine. :)

wiredued said:
It would be easier if you did the 3x2 and 1x5(by heart rate) and let me know... thanks in advance:)

Is it even worth getting all the bike kit on just to do 3x2?

I don't think my heart rate would be upto where it needs to be within 2 minutes.

I bet Felt Rider is into bike bondage with all those HR straps. :eek:

swampy1970 said:
I bet Felt Rider is into bike bondage with all those HR straps. :eek:

Hey I can't help it that all these gadgets come with a HR strap :D
Bike bondage :confused: hmmm...that gives me an idea. Maybe I can use them as bungee cords.

The guy is so cool he straps his bike to the car mount with HR straps.
Nah, it would probably just confirm what everyone else calls me, poser :D

wiredued said:
Boy that sure seems like a lot of effort to go through. I mean, you might almost be warmed up by the end!

I'm in rebuild mode but that's ok I spent alot of time riding with my daughter this summer. It's hard to say no to a kid that learned to ride rollers last winter maybe she'll give DM a run for her money some day. My teenager wouldn't learn rollers so I think you have to warp their little minds early to be cyclists:)

lanierb said:
Boy that sure seems like a lot of effort to go through. I mean, you might almost be warmed up by the end!

wiredued said:

Wired, I'd do something like this to get warmed up for my FTP work.