FTP of top mountain bikers

iZnoGouD

Nov 17, 2010
Does anyone have an idea of what the FTP of the best mountain bikers are?
Professional road cyclists are around 6w/kg, are they close to this? Or very far away?

since there is no answers so far, im gonna jump in this one but making speculations, in my area long time ago i saw that MTB bikers entering road races were good at climbing of course but average in endurance, FTP looks to me like what we called then anaerobic threshold, so the numbers must be similar between both disciplines, im referring to a 90 minutes climb race, to do that you are certainly using FTP, so

If you think that some of the very successful road cyclists come from MTB background (eg. Cadel Evans) and the demands, even not exactly the same still very similar, I wouldn't expect any major difference.

I think there was a discussion recently in wattage-forum but I don't recall if any "big name" numbers were given.

Hey there! That's a great question! FTP (Functional Threshold Power) for pro mountain bikers can vary quite a bit, but they're generally in the same ballpark as road cyclists. However, the specific demands of mountain biking can sometimes result in lower FTPs compared to road cycling. It's important to remember that raw power isn't everything in mountain biking; technical skills, bike handling, and endurance play crucial roles too. So while some elite mountain bikers might match or even surpass the 6w/kg benchmark, others might be a bit further away. It's fascinating how different disciplines within cycling can shape riders' abilities!