FTP percentage improvement?

dazman

Feb 17, 2007
I'm curious as to what level of % increase I would expect from moving from unstructured base training to starting with a proper power plan over say a 4 month period. Does anyone have any recorded improvements, i.e +20% + 30% in FTP?

dazman said:
I'm curious as to what level of % increase I would expect from moving from unstructured base training to starting with a proper power plan over say a 4 month period. Does anyone have any recorded improvements, i.e +20% + 30% in FTP?
I haven't done a formal FTP test in a while, but my sustainable 20 minute repeats have come up more than 25% in the last four and a half months on a steady diet of indoor SST and L4 work. I had about six months of regular but unstructured riding(~ 3000 miles including some 6 and 7 hour solo hundred milers) before starting the structured work and that's coming back into the sport after a lot of serious years but a few years without any competitive riding.

I doubt I would have seen that kind of improvement if I'd been race fit when I started power training so it depends a lot on your background and starting point as well as how you define base training.