FTP Reading

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by maxroadrash, Oct 12, 2013.

1. maxroadrash

maxroadrash New Member

If what I am seeing is correct you averaged 198w for 20 minutes. The usual calculation is 20 min. avg. X .95= FTP
    That would give you an FTP of 188w.

Tags:

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Not sure where you're getting FTP=240W, but as maxrroadrash said, the standard rule of thumb for estimating FTP from a 20min effort is to multiply the 20min effort by 0.95. However, if you go back to the original definition of the 0.95 rule, the 20min baseline number is the average of two or more 20min efforts with a short rest. So, it assumes something like 2x20 at xxxW average x 0.95. But, the more important point is that if your purpose is to set training targets, it doesn't matter. It will be self-correcting! If you use 188W as your FTP estimate and if your L4 efforts at 91%+FTP seem too easy, then increase intensity. If they seem too difficult, then decrease intensity.

3. jlemdy

jlemdy New Member

Thank you both. Since Im getting some attention...I'm trying to press a little further ;). I'm commuting to work everyday 12 miles one way and ride with a club on Sunday. Any advise to improve.

4. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

For your commute, it all depends on the course. If you can maintain a steady pace, I would ride it like a time trial. Get warmed up and then maintain an L4 pace the remainder of the ride (should be only ~1/2 hour after getting warmed up). If you have a lot of stops, then ride it as a bunch of anaerobic segments and rest at the stops. An anaerobic effort would be something in the vicinity of 120%FTP. On your Sunday club ride, it's difficult to get in any quality L4 efforts on club rides. Just go at L5/L6 pace when you're on front and then sit in at ~L3 pace when you're not.

5. jlemdy

jlemdy New Member

Awesome advice. Thank you.

6. jlemdy

jlemdy New Member

hi all,
    I went to the mountain today to do some training and here is my data. it said my ftp is 230x.95= 218. should I continue to use 188? Thanks.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10261858836/

7. Subliminal-SS

Subliminal-SS New Member

I found I set new records and continuously changed for the first week. In the end settled down and didn't break that number for about 3 weeks then I was considerably over it. If you find a new high set your FTP at that.

If your legs pumped it then it's your 20 Min power.

A note though it looks for 20 min it was a well sustained effort but it doesn't look like before you saved anything or did warm ups just ride more or less at the same pace also your peak 30 min and peak 60 mins are all relatively close.

Which means... Drumroll...

Id say you could do better with a controlled test.

Try a warm up with most of the pace < 150 Watts. Closer to 100 Even push at about 220 for 2 mins. Cool down repeat a couple of times to get those legs going, it will make the first 5 mins of the 20 easier. Then execute a controlled test up a hill or something for a full 20 mins give it full gas. Try Starting at 200 and increase it slowly over the course of the 20 mins make sure you finish strong. If you give it your all sustaining +200 Watts after that should be a real struggle. Try and find somewhere that you can roll home after the test otherwise you will mentally hold back knowing you have that small bump or two to save for.

8. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

For me, the most interesting statistic from your last ride file is your NP for the entire 2.75hr ride = 203W. This number suggests to me that your current FTP is around 225W. I suggest using 225 as a first approximation of your FTP for the purpose of setting your training targets. But, as I noted above, it doesn't really matter whether this is too high or too low. If, for example, you do your L4 efforts using FTP=225 as the basis of your power targets and you find that you can't complete repeat sets with a short rest between efforts (e.g., 2x20 or 3x30), then it's too high. If you find that they're too easy to complete, then it's too low. Cheers.